right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

How an industry helps Chinese students cheat their way into and through U.S. colleges

Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
Part Three: The University of Iowa suspects at least 30 Chinese students of having used ringers to take their exams. The case offers a look inside a thriving underground economy of cheating services aimed at the hundreds of thousands of Chinese kids applying to and attending foreign colleges.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/college-cheating-iowa/
“Test-taking services. Paper-writing. Take Online Courses for you,” says the social-messaging profile of one Chinese coaching outfit used by Iowa students, UI International Student Services. A pitch emailed by another business ended with this reassuring claim: “Your friends are all using us.”

Today, the University of Iowa, one of the largest state universities in the American Midwest, says it is investigating at least 30 students suspected of cheating. Three sources familiar with the inquiry say the number under investigation may be two or three times higher.[/quote}

What got my attention the most in this article is the story of Xuan “Claren” Rong, and how UC Davis handled (or how they initially didn't) it.

That part should be labeled with a trigger warning on it for @CaliDad2020 :-t
106 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How an industry helps Chinese students cheat their way into and through U.S. colleges

• Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Notice that must of the cheating is being down via the on-line courses, and that colleges can take steps to catch it (which in turns incents students, of all types, to not cheat).
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29297 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,466 Senior Member
    @Zinhead - They may get in, but if they can't do the work, they are going to flunk out, lose their student visas, and have to go home.

· Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5319 replies90 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Take a look at "SUNY Cars" . Boasting great cars! But...

SUNY schools seem to prefer to get slightly more in tuition (despite the fact that each International student costs NY tax payers but the local schools much get to keep more money on their campus for each one they nab) then to ensure that they are excluding cheaters. The number of SUNY students incapable of writing a solid paragraph in English would astound you. They should also institute a rule prohibiting double standards in terms of grading whereby US residents are not held to a higher standard. That should be true for submitting standardized tests too. The TOEFL is not the same as the SAT or ACT. It is a test of English and native speakers would get the top scores on the TOEF even if they can't get over a 400 on the SATs. Yet, NY residents are rejected from SUNY on the basis of scores from tests that are not even required of International students. It is outrageous and it is straight forward discrimination against US residents, precisely those that spend their life earnings supporting the SUNY system.

NY state has too many corrupt officials and administrators! Greed rules!
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @lostaccount, huh?
    SUNY's don't require the SAT/ACT for internationals? Then again, there's plenty of cheating there as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
    @happymomof1
    As tens of thousands of Chinese students prepare to study in the U.S., they might reflect on the experience of some of those who went before them. According to an estimate by a U.S. education company, some 8,000 Chinese students were expelled from American universities last year alone – and the main reasons were poor grades and cheating.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2015/05/29/u-s-schools-expelled-8000-chinese-students-for-poor-grades-cheating/

That estimate of 8,000 could be very low, since it's provided by a U.S. company that caters to Chinese students, and is based on a survey of only 1,657 students.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad 4583 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    Chinese-born university students who drive candy-colored Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLarens.
    In the winter of Long Island?
    · Reply · Share
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob 4355 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,397 Senior Member
    Purely anecdotal: I believe in electric vehicles, and one of my kids attends Rutgers, so I displayed my Tesla and answered questions at Rutgers Day (loosely associated with Earth Day). Two students came by and asked detailed questions. They were initially respectful, but increasingly were presumptuous and treated my car as theirs, to the point where I was minutes from telling them to go away. They were considering buying one, and the six digit price tag didn't seem to slow them down. One of them had sufficient English to get by in a STEM major, but he had to translate for the other, who could not make his questions understandable to me (btw, as a non-native English speaker myself, I am usually good at deciphering broken English).

One could have gotten a reasonable TOEFL score, the other one absolutely not.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad 4583 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    They were considering buying one, and the six digit price tag didn't seem to slow them down.
    Good for them.
    · Reply · Share
  • IlliniDad18IlliniDad18 91 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    edited May 2016
    Make UIUC and UofF Great Again

"There taking our COE slots, their cheating on entrance exams, they're sitting in the back of class and not asking questions, ..."
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    @Zinhead, I believe that international/OOS numbers at UIUC COE have increased dramatically, but IL numbers have not been cut. Granted, that leads to overcrowding, but students flunking/switching out would ease the overcrowding.

Yep. If you look here:
    http://www.dmi.illinois.edu/stuenr/#race

You'll see that IL resident numbers in COE from 2005->2015 have actually increased slightly. International numbers have gone up roughly 3-fold.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity