right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Increase the fun for Southern Californians on our New England College Tour

Replies to: Increase the fun for Southern Californians on our New England College Tour

• blossomblossom 9591 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,600 Senior Member
    The methodology here (or lack thereof) is going to punish colleges which take rape seriously vs. those which do not; is going to punish colleges which follow the law in reporting sexual assaults vs. those which do not, AND is going to punish colleges (which is what I suspect is going on with Rutgers) which have urban campuses so that even a rape in an apartment building which is adjacent to campus but has nothing to do with students (i.e. neither party is affiliated with the university) gets "counted" as an "on campus" rape since the campus is essentially spread out through a large urban area.

Stones- exactly what point are you trying to make here?
    · Reply · Share
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye 673 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 678 Member
    @Otterma - I stand corrected. I meant to refer to schools historically associated with a more faith-based, conservative philosophy, but got off track (to say the least) with Grinnell.
    · Reply · Share
  • stones3stones3 895 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 900 Member
    wow! you people are automatically spinning this to your own ends. This appeared on the Yahoo homepage TODAY
    So no, no one scoured anything to find it. However upon reading it I thought it important to share. I presume by your
    response you would prefer it stay buried . Infer what you wish , just be informed. Frankly growing tired of the high horse some of these names apparently ride
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 9591 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,600 Senior Member
    Yes, U Conn and Rutgers ride a very high horse.
    · Reply · Share
  • stones3stones3 895 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 900 Member
    edited June 2016
    nice selective reading.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye 673 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 678 Member
    edited June 2016
    @stones3 - Nobody is 'spinning' anything. The article says what it says and the statistics speak for themselves, including fallacies in the research. What each critic of this posting is wondering, is what conclusion you, the poster, are drawing from such statistics. You obviously posted this intending to convey something to this board. If anyone has misinterpreted your intention, by all means clarify. You thought this was important to share. Why? Every person on this site is aware of the awful statistics and issues associated with sexual assault on college campuses. No one is looking to "bury" this issue. If the inferences that posters are drawing from your post and/or from this article are in error, please engage in a substantive manner. I would note, however, that the last sentence in your post would seem to indicate some not so latent hostility toward elite (perhaps Ivies in particular) colleges. I can infer many reasons for this, both generally and from your prior posts and obvious bias toward schools not commonly included among such elite schools. Rather than risk an ill-informed inference, perhaps you can enlighten us as to this apparent hostility as well.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 9911 replies144 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,055 Senior Member
    To the extent the statistics (#73) are meaningful, they should be adjusted for enrollment size (as the Post article did):

Reed
    Wesleyan
    Swarthmore
    Knox
    Williams
    Pomona
    Bowdoin
    Gallaudet
    Beloit
    Dartmouth

By absolute annual occurrence, these schools straddle a 1% rate.
    · Reply · Share
    There are a lot of very small schools here. Wonder why this is the case...
    · Reply · Share
  • sailoutsailout 43 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I think one of the reasons that there are so many small schools on that list is again that they are liberal arts schools, many with generally a more liberal/activist student body. These students are going to be more aware of what constitutes consent and sexual assault, and thus more likely to file or take a stand on these matters. Again, this goes to what was said above about how this methodology punishes schools that care about addressing sexual assault and other crime on campus. It's hard to accurately compare colleges' data because so many sexual assault cases aren't filed or addressed.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2016
    You make a very interesting point, @sailout. In fact, I am a Swarthmore alum. There were barely 1200 undergrad when I was a student. Even then, decades ago, there was a dedicated student-professor judicial panel to investigate and review charges of sexual assault.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • otispotisp 359 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 362 Member
    :-t I sincerely apologize if I contributed to it, but this is seriously spinning way off topic...
    · Reply · Share
  • glidoglido 5958 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,983 Senior Member
    There is a pretty good restaurant on Maine Street in Poughkeepsie called The Artist's Palate that your artist might like.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    I know that University of San Fransisco (also Catholic) sneered when a visitor asked about faith-based activities. Sneered. That's what I DON:T want, and I don't think it is uncommon to literally or figuratively sneer at students who based their ethics on faith.

I don't know who it was who sneered at you but part of the core requirements at USF include philosophy/theology/religion courses (a broad group of classes as it is at most Catholic colleges and students can make the requirement as religious or secular as they like) and also a service requirement.

I do not believe that the official position of USF is to sneer at faith-based activities.
    · Reply · Share
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist 24269 replies860 discussionsHonorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    I don't have time to go back and see where this thread jumped off course so badly, but from this point forward, anything that is not DIRECTLY related to the OP's first post will be deleted and the person possibly warned. This is ridiculous. If I have time later, I may go back and delete every off topic post that somehow got on here. Think before you post, people. Go back to the first post and make sure what you are posting applies.
    · Reply · Share
  • shoot4moonshoot4moon 1101 replies177 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,278 Senior Member
    twoinandone, it was the person in charge of admissions who sneered at the parent who posed the question - I was caught in the crossfire as I asked a followup question. I did notice that other members of the staff did not appear comfortable with his response - in fact, one of the administrative assistants (adult) looked quite squirmy. Perhaps he misspoke - perhaps he was angry and burned out - perhaps he was tired of the question - the tone, nonverbal language, and words were just strikingly inappropriate as an administrative designee and made a lasting impression. . I have friends who are very happy there.

It is very interesting to read through this thread and see the creative and thoughtful responses. I personally hope that wherever DD goes, she participates in equally interesting discussions about spirituality, conservatism, diversity, and learns as much as possible. And no, at this point she does not want to go to an exclusively Christian college like Westmont, Biola or Pepperdine. There are legitimate reasons that people attend, but it is her choice and that is not her choice at this time. I would expect that sneering occurs everywhere, and that is just part of being part of the world. We just want to make sure that she has the opportunity to pursue her faith, and enough people who share her viewpoint that there is a quorum for activities such as IVCF. Great idea to look to see what campuses have a chapter!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity