Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Daughter lost her scholarship

12345679»

Replies to: Daughter lost her scholarship

• cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    That's just so individual. I had a boyfriend all through high school and most of college. I made good grades and held a job all through my college years as well. Got my second degree while married with a toddler, then had another baby, all while working. So having a BF may have been a major distraction, or perhaps the only stable thing in her life. We just don't have enough information to know.

That was exactly my point. Depending on the individual concerned and/or the given educational environment, being in a relationship is fine and could even enhance one's studies.

For other individuals and/or depending on a given educational environment, being in a relationship can serve as a distraction from one's studies with the associated negative consequences.

This is one major reason many parents/families I knew of discouraged dating in HS or even undergrad. They were fearful of the possibility it could end up being the latter and instead of being on track to graduate within 4-5 years...the romantic relationship in HS/college causes those educational plans to be derailed with all of its associated difficulties for the student concerned and his/her family. They want to avoid that if possible....even if the attempt at avoidance is more illusory than real.
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    Sorry I don't buy that shacking up is the cause.
    It is completely possible to get decent grades while shacking up. I know of many students who shack up and that get good grades.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,833 Senior Member
    My daughter just told me her boyfriend got all A's this semester, the first time he ever had grades that high. I asked her why and she said "Because I made him study." She didn't get all A's, but did pretty well. I think she is much happier at school this year because of her BF, so I don't care if she might have had a 4.0 if she had no boyfriend. He makes her happy.

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,882 Senior Member
    My D1's boyfriend (started dating 2nd semester freshman year, still dating -- oops, I guess "shackling up" now 7 years later) was more diligent than she was. He was a good influence -- they both graduated Phi Beta Kappa. You can't assume a significant other automatically causes a dive in grades.
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    OP gone. Dead horse successfully beaten. /thread
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,771 Senior Member
    A good relationship can support one's success in college. A bad one could certainly derail it. But so can friend drama, or family problems, inability to make friends, anxiety or depression, excessive partying, etc. I would bet that simply the fact of being in a relationship is one of the less common reasons young people fail out of college.
This discussion has been closed.