Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA


Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons Registered User Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    I can't do much with D18 right now because she's away at camp, but she did get her ACT scores back and she went from a 26 to a 30. She attributes this to the Magoosh app and the Up Your Score book (I had both kids read it). Her big jump was in reading-she's normally a really crazy good reader (lexile scores were always good) but she didn't know "how" to do the act reading section. Once the magoosh lessons taught her "how" to answer it (this is her words-I didn't know what they wanted me to say until I did the magoosh thing), then her numbers went way up.

    She has the SAT again in Aug. I'm not sure she can improve on that big of a jump for ACT, so she may be done with that one.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    Waiting on SAT scores here, DD say "Don't get your hopes up...". Best score she is sitting on too date is a 27 ACT. Debating on having her take another stab at it in September.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Just found you guys and read all posts to catch up. Great group!

    I'm dad w/ S17 waiting for SAT. His SAT from earlier this year was only 1090 (550 Math, 540 English) and his GPA is 3.6 w/ no AP's, Honors, etc. He did do a community college art class with an A last summer and is taking a digital cartooning class there this summer. His ACT's were dismal at a 21 but his written portion was an 8. He's on Spectrum so I'm actually happy with all this but hoping he gets a little better score on the SAT's this time around. Good luck to all tomorrow.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 882 Member
    @rwmannesq Welcome and thank you for joining us!
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    Unfortunately DD was correct her 2nd SAT score was nothing to get my hopes up about, it only went up 10 points. It is basically of no value compared to her ACT score. So she is officially done with the SAT.

    The question now remains...does she retake the ACT (3rd try) in September and attempt to raise that score another few points from her current 27( 32R, 28S, 25E, 24M)? OR call is a day and just submit what she has and hope for the best?

    I don't see the point unless she is willing to really put in some study time. But she just finished her 2 online summer courses and I don't see her being willing to put in a lot of effort. She clearly has no issues with reading comprehension...but the English and Math sections are low, and those are the most important...so she says she will just concentrate on studying those two sections. My thought is that she will bring those two sections up a point or two but the science and reading will come down a point or two and she will be at the same place composite score wise. But it will look better because those base scores are higher right? Just a few of her schools superscore the ACT. I am really tempted to call it quits and just have her concentrate on the Essays.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 882 Member
    D went up 50 points. She thought she did very poorly on the verbal this time but her score actually went up. She's a bit disappointed because she put in a lot of work into math prep and only went up 40 points. I think it really is about speed after the feedback I got from the tutor. She's already signed up for August but I feel bad for her having to go through it again.

    I'm thinking more and more that we can't beat our instate publics, not only for $ but for education.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    I forgot to post an update on the last ACT. Daughter has gone from a 21 (diagnostic) to a 26 first take. This past take she went down. We knew that would probably happen. She forgot her ID (husband was able to get it there in time) and even though she was able to take the exam, I know her and I'm sure she was off her game. She already struggle with test anxiety, so this did not help. In addition, she complained of feeling sick and sure enough we took her to urgent care and she had strep that date.

    Will definitely be taking again in September. The 26 is fine to get in to the schools that she is looking at, but we would like her to bring up the math. She is being incredibly lazy right now about working on her essays. She needs to get all applications in by October in order to schedule dance auditions for her BFA.

    She did get lucky and was chosen for a Bloomberg Arts Internship. Philadelphia runs a program called Work Ready. Rising juniors, seniors and college students can apply and interview for internships. She was lucky to be chosen for the Arts Internship. I think they saw her 14 years of dance and realized it would be a good fit. It is a wonderful program that includes mentoring, essay help, leadership workshops and development workshops every Friday of the internship (along with whatever actual work they are doing at their place or business). She is at a lovey theater in Philly halfway between our house and where she dances. Plus, she gets paid. We are asking her to bank most of the pay. We hope she will do this again next summer before college and will have a good amount of spending money going in to freshman year.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    My son just looked his June SAT up and it went from 1090 to 1110, so basically the same. Superscore is now 1120 (570 English/550 Math) I don't know whether I should put him through a retest in August or not, and if so then should he do tutoring. His GPA is 3.6 but no AP's, etc. other than Community College summer courses last and this year. Our school choices are modest but a couple of reach schools won't be on the list any more. We're East Bay area CA and he's been in Catholic School up through the current well known HS.

    We're safe w/ CSU Sonoma, Saint Mary's Moraga and UC Merced (UC gpa is 3.78,) though none of these are particularly desirable to him.
    We're also looking at Univ. of San Francisco, Univ. of Portland, and Loyola Marymount as reasonable expectations, especially based on his Catholic School background (ie multi-year donations to diocese.) He'd actually be very happy at any of these, though we haven't yet toured Portland.
    And then there's still Univ. of San Diego and Santa Clara Univ. which are now bumped to reach schools, though again possible due to Catholic affiliation and I'm an LL.M. alum of USD.
    His dream school is Univ of Washington which is now not in reach, and I don't think it's a good fit personally, but what do I know?

    I could really use some advice here...he is autistic but obviously very high functioning. He shines w/ work habits and will succeed in college in courses depending on homework and dedication. Standardized tests, not so much. So, since money is NOT a concern, anybody think it's best to just leave well enough alone and start focusing on the essays?
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 882 Member
    edited July 12
    @rwmannesq If money is not an issue and you have 2-3 safeties that are sure bets for admission, I'd stop.

    The processing issues that kids on the spectrum deal with can really glitch up testing. So you might never get the type of scores that due justice to his abilities.

    The other thing is that you don't want him to get fixated on the tests. That could take on a life of it's own.

    And the other thing I'd think about is not wanting to put him in an environment that is very competitive and stressful. Let him be closer to the higher end of the accepted students rather than the other way around.

    I think there are opportunities to challenge oneself anywhere but you will probably want to avoid a situation where he is chronically overwhelmed by courses that he has no interest in.

    I might look at the choices you've listed and see what support services are available and which school would not overload him with general ed requirements.

    These were the types of things that were helpful for my oldest who has processing glitches. I also have a younger kid with funky attention issues and those are the things I'll be thinking carefully about during the next round.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Thanks @MACmiracle: Your advice lines up very much with my thoughts. Why look for extra stress? Essentially, so long as he's in an environment where he can talk to the actual professors to ask questions and is given a little time to digest things, he succeeds. So if we can get him into a small or small/medium sized school I think he'll be fine. LAC's are most likely the places for him.

    Meanwhile, I'm texting him that maybe we should accept giving up on UW-Seattle, USD, and Santa Clara... Nope, he wants to try the test again to see if he can get in while also strengthening his chances for the others. I'm thinking a live tutor would work better than online. Anyone have any experiences w/ online SAT/ACT tutors? Anyone ever get any significant uptick in scores (for regular kids, mind you?) Thanks for letting me share...
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    @rwmannesq. We are in a similar boat. I would stop with the SAT. If he has not taken the ACT , I might give that a shot on Sept 9th.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Hi @labegg: You read my mind about the SAT. He did take the spring ACT (w/ no prep per counselor's request to decide on format) and did 24 on science and math but 19 reading/16 english. Interestingly, did an 8 on the written portion and hasn't taken the written portion on the SAT. So maybe we study w/ emphasis on ACT english since remainder is good to go? USD and UC Merced both require written and all but UCM use superscoring.
  • MomtoatrioMomtoatrio Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this board, parent to 3 kids DD (Senior at U of M Twin Cities), DS(local CC) and DS '18 who we are looking for a good fit for next year. DS is an extremely bright but lazy (maybe undiagnosed ADD?) kiddo who has a 3.1 GPA with a few honors/AP classes and phenomenal test scores (PSAT 1470, ACT 34 and SAT 1570). We live in MN but he would very much like to go out of state. Money is definitely an issue as I am a single parent about to send kid #3 off to school and will be a determining factor when we pick a school. He's interested in German as a second major plus something else - maybe Psychology related, but we're trying to turn that into something employable. ;) I don't worry about him not getting in anywhere, but I do worry about affording it!
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    Welcome, @Momtoatrio! Nice to meet another parent with a language major son!
Sign In or Register to comment.