Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• persimmonypersimmony Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @rwmannesq My spouse hadn't heard of the program at TX A& M and doesn't know anyone who went there. She says there are a few animation studios in TX though.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    @persimmony: If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you ask her about Loyola Marymount in LA, UC Santa Cruz, and Chapman program reputations? Anything reachable (stats wise) on West Coast by any chance would be great.
  • persimmonypersimmony Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @1822mom Thanks for the suggestion. He doesn't seem to want to go that far away, although we've visited the NW and he liked it. True, applying doesn't mean you have to go there.

We haven't even looked at the Common App yet. He's going to be stretching every little thing except cello, for which he has a number of activities. Not sure how "activity" is defined. :) He's a good kid too, just very laid-back and not interested in being involved in much. That's just the way he is. At least he has cello, better than nothing. He's not a super musician or anything, but he's decent. Has some honors related to it. I'd feel better if he had a higher GPA to counteract the lack of ECs. It is what it is.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    @rwmannesq UC Santa Cruz is a campus your son will need to visit, if he is interested. I thought the big trees and trails were beautiful, but the campus is spread out and most students take shuttles to get around. They say you can skateboard straight down the hill to the beach. My son felt the environment was too laid back for him, but I know some kids who have gone there and loved it.

Some strong animation programs you can consider in So. Cal are Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and California Institute of the Arts in Santa Clarita. If he is certain he wants a fine arts degree, those programs have strong reputations. I think Tim Burton graduated from CalArts.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,706 Senior Member
    Great teachers, bad schedule for DD.
    @stardustmom: A daughter of some good family friends just graduated UCSC and we did get a brief look a couple years ago at part of the school and her particular dorm. I know what you mean about spread out and I'm not surprised they have to shuttle all over. S18 liked the laid back vibe of CSU Sonoma, so it's probably worth at least a look. He might take some comfort in knowing someone who actually graduated there, too. However, suspect that he'll balk at it once he sees the campus, but you never know.

Thanks for the tips on the art schools. I'll definitely get in some research on them to see if they're possibles.
    @labegg: That stinks. Saw your post on the other thread and thought the couple of ideas weren't bad. If the GC is actually doing one of the LOR then can easily be explained. Plus, the overall courses are challenging and she gets great teachers. Hope it works out!
  • chippedtoofchippedtoof Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    @MACmiracle re:schools doing things differently, I do get nervous when schools try out "new things". (Been the guinea pig, or my DC have been, too many times while the kinks in curriculum or school policy are worked out). Will keep my fingers crossed for your D20! My S21 got zero summer work... watched him laying on the couch in his PJs this morning while everyone else was getting ready for the day. Gave him a copy of Jules Verne to read before I left :)
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,483 Senior Member
    @rwmannesq, have you looked at U of Utah? It has gaming and graphic design, offers 'coupons' (plus is a WUE school), is within a 2 hour flight to the Bay area.
    Actually, no. That is a thought. I'll do some research, but is the school or area moderately to strongly religious? He's not a "believer" but goes to private Catholic HS without any issue. I know he'd take exception to strong religious overtones, though. And thanks!
  • jjkmomjjkmom Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    @rwmannesq may I ask why CSU Chico and Sonoma? After UCSC, do you consider other UCs (USR & UCM) and the top CSUs (CalPoly SLO, CSU LB, Fullerton, SDSU). My DD'18 only interested in California schools, so she listed all UCs plus popular CSUs, but I try to get her consider other CSUs (such as SFSU, SJSU, CSUMB, etc. her SAT is higher than most CSUs 75% target, but her UC/CSU GPA is about 3.43.. we were told, or kindly reminded that UCs are so competitive, her GPA won't make to any UCs., so she has been pretty depressed about that entire summer. But we will still give a try. She is interested in Design (media, art, communication graphics) majors.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    @jjkmom I don't think your daughter should despair regarding UCs. Her GPA should be within range for the lower UCs. If she has ECs related to her intended major and a good SAT score she should be fine. Average GPA for admits at UCM is 3.56 so I would expect her to get in there, probably UCR as well. Also, a strong essay can tip the balance in her favor.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,671 Senior Member
    So, at lunch yesterday my daughter apparently changed her major. She's going with what was her #2 choice: Event planning. Time to look at the schools she was planning to apply to and juggle a little.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,706 Senior Member
    @bjkmom lots of great schools for hospitality management! Guessing marketing or a business degree or coomunications could work too?

University of Houston, Michigan State, University of Nevada-LV, Florida International U, Virginia Tech, u of Central Florida, Cal State Poly,-Pomona.

What schools are on her list now?