Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    I don't have any insider information but I do know that Wright State is part of the University System of Ohio and there were a lot of expenses unifying the 14 universities, 23 community and technical colleges as well as their various branches (24?). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_System_of_Ohio That process seemed to correlate with a rise in administrative costs, but it's completion also means that attrition and layoffs can be achieved without necessarily impacting students negatively. President Drake at OSU also aggressively scaled back budgets after unification in order to be able to increase aid to students.

Wright State's Theater, Dance and Motion Pictures department acts as an ambassador for the university because the productions have the ability to engage the community and they are using their dominance to set themselves apart from others in Ohio and across the country with help from their successful alumni. So unlike other schools where theater may get the last of the budget and see the first cuts, I have the impression it's definitely an equal there, and maybe even a priority department as it gains momentum in recognition.

In short - the school and that department are in no danger of discontinuing (it's backed by a state with billions in reserve), it is going to continue to prioritize student experience, and will have funds to provide merit and need based aid; although it will probably be funding fewer business trips and hiring fewer employees. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/wright-state-saved-more-money-than-expected-last-year/dE4iEFoam8GobcqUoj1DpK/
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    Thank you very much @BuckeyeMWDSG -- we are considering applying from OOS and the budget situation was a big question mark for us. (The Wright State OOS COA is roughly the same as in-state options here.)
  • KardinalschnittKardinalschnitt Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    Hello everyone!

I have a question about SAT scores: Dd needs to improve her math score to get the automatic freshman scholarship at her top choice school. She's going to complete the application this weekend. She's wondering if she should go ahead and submit her current score (she has automatic admission, so it's not a question of admissions) and then provide the next score if she hits the target when it comes out in late October/early Nov? Or should she NOT submit her current score and wait for the next one to decide which to submit. This is a merit aid question only. The school does not superscore and does not want to see all scores.

So, yeah, basically: do schools accept improved scores for merit aid purposes?
    edited August 29
    That answer may depend on the specific school and when merit aid is awarded. In 2013 when we went to an event at OSU the speaker told all the kids to resit the exam in December even if they were already admitted because they would use highest score to determine merit aid. He also said, you'd be amazed how much your score can improve when you're already in and the pressure is off. Tests after December would be updated in student profiles, but be too late for merit consideration.
    Thanks BuckeyeMWDSG, I guess I'll ask them directly, though they didn't answer my last question. I'm thinking dd feels like the pressure's off already and that she'll feel it going into this SAT.
    By the way, are any of your seniors back to school yet? Mine started two weeks ago. She likes the majority of her classes, so I'm hoping it'll be a good year.
  • trish02trish02 Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    @Kardinalschnitt My S18 started his senior year yesterday. His schedule works and I think he'll end the year strong. His is taking a pretty cool class, AP Seminar, where he'll do a lot of research multiple perspectives on current issues and write research papers on them. He's really excited because there is a lot of freedom and choice to research ideas he is interested in (currently it is climate change and alternative energy). He also has a few of the same teachers he had last year which makes him very happy. I think it will be a great year!
  • trish02trish02 Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    @Kardinalschnitt My S18 started his senior year yesterday. His schedule works and I think he'll end the year strong. His is taking a pretty cool class, AP Seminar, where he'll do a lot of research multiple perspectives on current issues and write research papers on them. He's really excited because there is a lot of freedom and choice to research ideas he is interested in (currently it is climate change and alternative energy). He also has a few of the same teachers he had last year which makes him very happy. I think it will be a great year!
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    Mine was back for a week...then Harvey. She is scheduled to go back again next Tuesday, but I suspect schools will be closed all of next week too.

She was liking her schedule though! I think her senior year is going to go off without too much stress, which is good.

She scheduled to take the ACT one last time next Saturday but I am not sure if the community college where she is scheduled to take it flooded or not.
  • chippedtoofchippedtoof Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    edited August 30
    Glad to hear other things are going well @labegg. Hopefully things continue to recover at a good pace. No scheduling issues sounds great too. My S21 is having to face reality and settle a bit in terms of his HS freshman schedule. Oh well.

S18 has been back in school for a couple of weeks. Quizzes and essays on summer readings, but he's enjoying his classes so far. All his friends are already waxing nostalgic about being seniors this year... It's weird, but there's this strange calm right now regarding college apps; I feel like I'm the only parent stressing about it at his school and he's one of the few asking for help at the GC office.

• Texas1820Texas1820 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    My son started school on Monday. His schedule was fixed by Tuesday and he is happy with his classes. He has told me his Govt/Econ teacher is the best that he has had! I still remember my Gov't/Econ class from high school. Hope this last the whole year and not just the first week of school. He is very excited that he doesn't have to read a lot this year for English. He is not a reader at all! I just hope that he doesn't miss out on some classics.
    He took the SAT last Saturday and was just "meh" about it. Not very happy that he didn't take advantage of this first SAT of the school year. He knows what he has to do to go out of state, which he wants to do. It just doesn't seem like he truly gets it.
    @labegg Gosh, what a time to start senior year. It sounds like everything is going well, but please accept my wishes for a stress/damage-free hurricane! That sounds so weird! But I do hope you're all okay.
    @trish02 That class sounds cool. If dd were doing the IB Diploma she would have to do the Extended Essay, which sounds similar. We were in the local medical library and dd picked up a book about, I think, Neurology & Art and said that would be her EE if she were doing it.
    @Texas1820 We ask a lot when we ask these kids to "get it." It's only recent that kids have to get these big things. I wish they could just stare at the sky instead!
    University of Toledo is recruiting OOS and has some great merit aid starting at gpa 2.75/ACT 20 http://www.utoledo.edu/admission/freshman/scholarships/2018/out-of-state.html
  • Texas1820Texas1820 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    How is everyone doing? I am following parents of 2018 but my kid so belongs in this forum. He is a wonderful kid but he is so sheltered.
    I need him to really get a grasp on reality, we need for him to find at least one state school if not 2 because of the price. He has only applied to out of state schools. I will admit that I am not very happy with the options that he has for instate. We live in a great state but WOW are the options not great for a kid that wants lots of things and a certain major. We live in Texas. He does not want to got to Texas A&M, don't ask, just not his cup of tea (He has told us this for the last 2 years) It would be a great option but a big NO go. UT is not an option, not what he wants in a school and not one we would want him to go to. Plus he would not be able to get into UT. Broke that news to him when he said he would rather go to UT then Tech. Tech is about his only option when it comes down to fit/major. It is the location that puts a big NO into it. We have a state app and was about to send in an app to a school just as a safety and found out that they don't have his major. We have come across this in 2 other schools and it is very discouraging that a state like Texas is not making the public university system up to par in my mind. That makes at least 3 state schools that he can't go to because of his major. I guess Tech will be his safety but we are still searching for a state school that would be a better fit. This is so much harder then I thought it would be.
  • chippedtoofchippedtoof Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    Hi @Texas1820 I noticed from previous posts that your S is looking for ME at a cost of instate (UT, TAMU). I have family that went to Tech (post grad) and one of my kids' biology teacher received his bachelors there, so I do have some understanding if students have reservations about west Texas. Having said that, Lubbock has 250K people, student body seems to know how to have fun, and my impression is that the school does provide the opportunity to succeed. If your S's focused goal is to get a good education and that ME degree, he can do it there. (I guess I'm trying to say that if Tech is your safety, then hopefully your family can de-stress a bit knowing that his goals are achievable there)

One way to check out the department is to peruse the research that the profs are involved in (as this will indicate some areas to *possibly* be involved in research). One thing I noticed was that their profs (and this is true for other parts of the university that I looked at) come from a wide variety of places (nationally as well as internationally) and that adds a certain flavor to the department (a little less academic in-breeding with perhaps more diverse teaching philosophies).

When you say UT, is it just Austin or is Dallas also not an option?