Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,705 Senior Member
    I highly recommend Redlands. My older daughter went there and loved it. If you have questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    edited October 22
    @eahaz What about Colorado schools? U Of Colorado-Boulder, Colorado State -Ft Collins, University of Denver? University of San Diego or University of California - Merced?
  • taverngirltaverngirl Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Is this a safe place to submit a chance me, lol? DD just finalized her list and after today will have five submits. Has to work on supplemental essays for most of the remaining ones, which are all RD. Anyway, here goes. Would love any feedback on these as well, though this thread already has feedback on some of them.

Allegheny
    Dickinson
    Franklin & Marshall
    Gettysburg
    Hamilton
    Lafayette
    UMaine (possibility for Honors program?)
    URochester
    Siena
    St. Lawrence
    Susquehanna
    Washington & Jefferson

Has visited most, reached out to several admissions counselors, will interview at all. Undecided but thinking Environmental Science/English double major or major/minor combo.

Stats:
    3.7 wGPA, mostly honors and AP, only 3 or 4 advanced through the 4 years, competitive Catholic HS--counselor indicated she'd probably be top level for rigor
    30 ACT, retaking next weekend
    3 Varsity sports all four years (all academic 2 years and received several coach's awards)
    Peer Minister at her church, helps run the Youth Group and Confirmation programs
    STRETCH leader (volunteer organization) for her school
    Jr & Sr Executive Board
    Jr & Sr Mock Trial team
    2 Years honor roll, C last year in AP bio kept her off :( Only C in hs career, on track for honors this year
    Part time job running camps and birthday parties at a local children's bookstore
    Should have excellent counselor and teacher recc's--she cultivates close relationships with her teachers

Have run NPC on all and they're all around the same (URoch outlier but applying anyway)

Thank you!!
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,893 Senior Member
    @taverngirl, has she looked at Messiah?
    @mommdc: she has not, but it may be more religious than she'd like.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,600 Senior Member
    @taverngirl, Hamilton will be very difficult with those stats as the bottom 25% ACT is a 31, and that’s typically a hooked applicant; I think Rochester will be equally difficult. F&M, Lafayette are likely matches, with the rest as either string matches or safeties.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    @mprit4 Yay...congratulations! Is it a contender?
    @chembiodad. Yes, Hamilton and URoch are her reaches. And URoch unlikely to work financially, but she wants to apply anyway. Thanks for chancing :)
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    CONGRATS TO @mprit4 and @amom2girls for the WCU acceptances! I'm the mom of a 2019D who loves WCU - it's her match/safety (because of finances) and she will be thrilled if she has to "settle" for it. I lurk here for insights and will be checking back to see who ends up there, if anyone.
  • eahazeahaz Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @labegg @1822mom Thanks! 1822mom-- you are confirming my Oxy $$$ fears. And since it's a reach anyway, maybe we'll skip the visit. I have thought about U of Denver. My friend's son is just starting there and she's impressed so far. I'm just not sure how much "exploring" we can do at this point, so only looked in SoCal. My son is still applying to east coast schools, now also west coast -- the list is getting quite long and a lot of deadlines are Nov 1, which would also be DU. I was hoping to confine it to where we'd really get some benefit from being driveable. To be honest, we are trying to find something to tempt him away from Elon or American, and so far, he's willing to look, but it hasn't enticed him. Any thoughts about LMU? He thought it looked interesting, and since he wants to do service work, he is impressed with the Jesuit philosophy. Just not sure how much that translates to the kids -- are they pretty SoCal students who have just always wanted a Catholic university? (which is my impression of Villanova and ND. Then again, I have two great friends from ND!! ) We have a weekend to visit 3. My leaning right now is Chapman, Redlands and LMU. Haven't really heard much about Whittier. 1822mom-- good luck with your potential move!
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,705 Senior Member
    Here's a short article about a new partnership between Redlands and Tuskegee University: https://www.redlands.edu/bulldog-blog/2017/october/university-of-redlands-and-tuskegee-university-forge-historic-agreement/.
  • 1822mom1822mom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    @eahaz I don't know anything about LMU as my D would not consider Catholic schools. You should consider posting to the LMU board here on CC for input, it looks pretty active.

I get what you mean about not wanting to overload the list, but probably just give him options right? Well, fwiw, DUs app is super simple if he's already on the Common App, they have no supplemental essays or questions, so it would really just require the commitment of paying the app fees and paying to send scores, which, I know is no small thing, but could be an easy way to add a closer to you school and provide options in the Spring. I know Chapman's app is long (one reason D dropped it), and Redlands has 2 standard supplemental essays (why us, and diversity).

Whittier is on my Ds list too, but I don't know much about it yet either, we are actually visiting next weekend for their fall preview day so I will report back.
  • lisabeeslisabees Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    edited October 23
    @taverngirl - you have a great list. The only potential problem I see is a financial one. Some of those schools may not give her merit. Have her get on those interviews ASAP, especially for those EA ones. Time is running out. And some you may have to travel a bit to get to. All in all, great list and exciting times!