Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best college mottos . . . . and go!

Replies to: Best college mottos . . . . and go!

• LVKrisLVKris Registered User Posts: 513 Member
    The University of California system:

Fiat lux - let there be light.
  • WhataProcessWhataProcess Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    University of Vermont (for those that may not know, UVM is for Universitas Viridis Montis, Latin for "University of the Green Mountains"):

"Studiis et Rebus Honestis" (for studies and other honest pursuits)
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,308 Senior Member
    U of Wisconsin has "Numen Lumen" I guess- no idea what that is supposed to mean, it was on my diploma along with a stylized eye. I do know there is a plaque on some building with the "sifting and winnowing" of ideas phrase. THAT I get. There is also "The Wisconsin Idea"... But- who knows what is happening now with budget cuts et al.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,641 Forum Champion
    I've always been fond of my alma mater's motto -- Leges sine moribus vanae, which translates to Laws without morals are in vain.
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,709 Senior Member
    Dartmouth: Vox clamantis in deserto = "A voice crying out in the wilderness"

@wis75 "Numen lumen" is Latin for "Divine light."
  • mademoiselle2308mademoiselle2308 Registered User Posts: 411 Member
    @wis75 - According to uwalumni.com's Ask Abe:

"The phrase “Numen Lumen,” developed as part of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s seal and motto, is Latin and can be translated to mean, “God, our light.” But, according to a University Communications News Library article, the UW’s first chancellor, John Lathrop, who assisted in the creation of the motto, interpreted it to mean, “The divine within the universe, however manifested, is my light.”

On Wisconsin!
  • EyquemEyquem Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    My personal favorite, of those I have come across: "Prodesse Quam Conspici" (accomplish without being conspicuous) - Miami University, Ohio.

I also like the not particularly ambitious tone of "Non Incatus Futuri" (not unmindful of the future) – Washington and Lee.

Finally, I appreciate the simplicity of "Lux Esto" (be light) – Kalamazoo College.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,499 Super Moderator
    I've always been fond of my alma mater's motto -- Leges sine moribus vanae, which translates to Laws without morals are in vain.
    @happy1 beat me to it. Not even my school, but I've always loved Penn's motto.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,937 Senior Member
    Virginia Tech-
    Ut Prosim -That I May Serve

• auntiekauntiek Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    Skidmore's is, "Creative Thought Matters."
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,704 Senior Member
    USMA: Duty, Honor, Country.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,489 Senior Member
    I alway's liked K's Lux Esto also. Another from K is "The end of learning is gratious living."
This discussion has been closed.