Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Scholarship announcment: do we want a skinny letter or fat one?

luckymama64luckymama64 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
My daughter is a finalist for a BIG competitive scholarship for school she has been admitted to. I just got off the phone with financial aid office to make sure they had all our info, and the women said that the award letters were going out tomorrow. I think a fat letter is good news, a skinny one is a rejection. . . . sounds about right?

Replies to: Scholarship announcment: do we want a skinny letter or fat one?

• Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad Registered User Posts: 759 Member
    edited January 2017
    One of my kids got a skinny letter containing good news for a BIG competitive scholarship. Don't assume. Read the letter!
    Hope it's good news for her. :-)
  • luckymama64luckymama64 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    Thanks @Parentof2014grad. My husband gets the mail; he might be freaked out by a skinny letter. I'll let him know not to fret.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,160 Super Moderator
    If she has already been admitted, I would not necessarily be looking for another fat envelope. The skinny envelope may have good news
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,479 Senior Member
    My D's scholarship letters have all been skinny, even for the 'outside' scholarship she was awarded. Good luck!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,628 Senior Member
    My DD got a very skinny letter sized envelope with her largest scholarship award inside it!
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 666 Member
    I confess I held the skinny envelope up to the window
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,434 Senior Member
    10 years ago I knew a skinny letter was 'bad". I was so disheartened when I went to the mailbox. S1 told me to open it, and what a surprise. It was full tuition + book expenses for 4 years to any school in our state. I will never forget running over to the school and having him paged to the office and seeing his face.
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,448 Senior Member
    I ran running thru our neighborhood to meet my son with the skinny letter.

Weeks before, he was on pins and needles waiting for me to return from work, cuz he got the call off waiting list. He wouldn't confirm without talking to me, we really had so little time or info.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 3,753 Senior Member
    Two years ago it was a combo of skinny letters, emails, and even a personal phone call.
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 3,424 Senior Member
    Most of D's scholarships have been skinny letters.
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    Rutgers full ride scholarship award used to be a one-page letter with 3 sentences and one number. I did not throw it into the garbage by pure chance.
    I think it was changed. My daughter's lesser award was printed as part of a fancy personalized folder.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    D and S received some that were folders with letters suitable for framing (if one was so inclined). They also received normal letter-sized envelopes that contained only one sheet of paper with no pomp and circumstance. It's not like admissions where a letter indicates a no and a packet contains all the housing and other info.
This discussion has been closed.