Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ideas for my social justice warrior

Replies to: Ideas for my social justice warrior

• marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,650 Senior Member
    NolaCAR wrote:
    Tyron Creek State Park

Just for accuracy's sake: it's Tryon Creek (my brother lives adjacent to the park and got his law degree at Lewis & Clark).
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,011 Senior Member
    Pitzer College - one of the 5 Claremont colleges in CA. It's also test optional. Very big on social justice and student body is pretty liberal. Part of a consortium of 5 colleges, and students can take classes at all 5 colleges.
  • NolaCARNolaCAR Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    @Clementine7624 Well we have a decision - Willamette. In the end, D was admitted to Willamette, Lewis & Clark, and University of San Francisco. All 3 offered her $18,000-$23,000 in merit aid. She was rejected at Macalester. Regarding your daughter's 29 ACT score and whether she should retake it - my D got a 29 too, and after going through the admissions process, D and I both agree that we wish she would have taken a prep course and re-taken it. The rumors are true - college admissions really are more competitive these days.

@marvin100 Thanks for the spelling correction. My brother (U of O alum) lives within walking distance of Tryon Creek SP too, but I can never seem to get it right.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,472 Senior Member
    Regarding your daughter's 29 ACT score and whether she should retake it - my D got a 29 too,

Unless an applicant has some great hooks and/or awesome EC's, its always better to be above the college's median test scores. Being in the lower quartile can be a red flag to certain Adcoms. So yeah, a couple of extra points can make a huge difference. (McAlester's interquartile range is 29-32.)
  • Clementine7624Clementine7624 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    @NolaCAR congrats on making a decision!
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,650 Senior Member
    Agreed--congrats, @NolaCAR to you and your D!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    I'd add Whitman to the list for the PNW. Perhaps not quite as liberal as some of the others but nicely balanced and really good art program. We were impressed overall by the arts focus at Ursinus as well, suburban location but easy enough do a city fix if you wanted one. She would qualify for nice merit there. Also a nicely balanced school, plenty of liberals but not too lopsided. I agree that the Jesuit schools are worth considering, im the PNW I'd look at Gonzaga and U of Portland (though that isn't Jesuit). Seattle U is likely too urban.

My activist, environmental studies/policy kid with a desire to stay involved in music and theater (but also huniting merit money) has narrowed it to Western Washington University, University of Vermont and Ursinus. We should know in a few weeks who wins. UPS, while lovely, just didn't have the right program.

I agree with the Evergreen assessment, as a local it's definitely not for everyone. I'll also note we were not impressed with the academics at Goucher, and I've a pretty mid stats kid so take that for what it's worth.
    We visited both DU and CU Boulder this weekend. She liked DU's presentation which focused a lot on the social justice issues she is interested in but then she fell in love with UC Boulder. They have housing where you can live with others interested in social justice. The school is not as diverse as she would like racially but she said it will give her something else to work on improving. She really liked the art facilities there as well. I cant believe I am saying this in April of her junior year - but she may have found the one for her. She seems 100% sure and doesnt want to look anywhere else and fortunately we can afford the tutitiion. Wow
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,568 Senior Member
    Keep things open though and insist on her applying to two affordable safeties and 2-3 more matches. Kids change a lot and what she loves now, she may not be as enthusiastic about come December (as impossible as it may seem to her right now).
  • harper8harper8 Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    edited April 2017
    Clementine7624- Check out University of Delaware: The University of Delaware is launching a new Biden Institute, a research and policy center focused on developing solutions to wide-ranging domestic policy issues.

Former Vice President Joe Biden will serve as founding chair of the institute, which will delve into many of Biden’s passions, including economic reform, environmental sustainability, civil rights, women’s rights, criminal justice and more.

I know that Boulder and Denver must be beautiful, but the east coast is where it is at if she is interested in politics/law/government/internships.
    @MYOS1634 it does seem impossible given her enthusiasm but point well taken.
    @harper8 Thanks. I will send to her but she is pretty committed to heading west - I think there will be enough to keep her interests alive.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,327 Senior Member
    I know that Boulder and Denver must be beautiful, but the east coast is where it is at if she is interested in politics/law/government/internships

Yet two Secretaries of State have degrees from U of Denver
  • harper8harper8 Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    edited April 2017
    Clementine: Best wishes! Great job looking early.
  • koolmom4everkoolmom4ever Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    SUNY is good for justice socially, but not necessarily social justice .
This discussion has been closed.