Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Soph/Junior/Senior math progression for non-engineer

2»

Replies to: Best Soph/Junior/Senior math progression for non-engineer

• homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 3,100 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    @jcmom716 Good advice. Thanks. S19 loves to make waves. Believe me, fights for every point in most classes. Not as easy to fight for a few points in math, though, since the answers are either right or wrong. Kind of off topic but he was .1 percent away from an A in Chem H and wouldn't beg for mercy. I called the teacher behind his back and she told me no. She said I should have listened to my son when he said the teacher made it clear that she won't round up. He still does not know I called her. :))
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 Registered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    To some extent, there is no way to know. No way to know if he would find it easy and get an A, or if it would take up all his time and lower his other grades. Also no way to tell you if taking AB over BC will hurt him in his college apps. I think he should take what he feels comfortable with. With our D we figured that she would end up in a place that valued her as a person and a student and there was no need to jump through extra hoops "in case" one or two colleges would have preferred she choose a different class (in her case it was an issue of whether to choose AP Euro over classes she really wanted to take). There is no way to see the future.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,523 Senior Member
    It sounds like at your school kids either take AP calculus BC and AP science, or AP humanities /social science... And your son wants to take some of both. The problem you have with it is not his ability to handle the material, but how time consuming it'll e in addition to the other AP classes he'll be taking. In that view, AB would be a compromise for him to handle both 'tracks'.

However, if he took BC, would he be allowed to switch into AB after the first semester if he found BC too time-consuming?

Many students compromise by cutting on sleep and that is really the worst decision possible since it harms their bodies and brains.
    @MYOS1634 Yes, the school would let him move to AB if BC was not going well but I know he would not want to move down. He came home from school yesterday and said all of the "less-smart" kids take AB. That's part of the battle between me and S19. I keep telling him, though, that it's not a matter of him NOT being able to do well in BC. It's a matter of having enough time to do well in AP Lang and APUSH at the same time as BC. So far, he's been doing fine on sleep. He's very organized. Home from track by 5:30, shower, dinner and homework until 10:30 or so. Social life saved for the weekends! Gets a little more than eight hours of sleep a night. I'm worried, though, that this coming junior year will be more time consuming with AP Lang and APUSH requiring way more reading and writing than he's doing in his classes now.

I think I've convinced him to take AB. We have a little time to change that but I think it's the right decision.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,306 Senior Member
    Let him choose his calculus if he insists. A good idea to take AP stats in HS, btw. That course will be good for college courses in many nonscience majors. Many HS's do not offer the BC course- it did not hurt my honors math major son at a top tier college, btw. Happy to hear your son chooses to challenge himself.
    @wis75 Thanks. Yes, he wants to take all of the hardest classes and is doing so this year. It's resulted in a couple of Bs, though, after straight As freshman year. I'm trying not to overthink it, and I'm sure he will land somewhere wonderful for college no matter what, but I sometimes think taking it down a notch and getting all As might give him more options. We just keep an eye on him for burn out, but so far so good.
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 1,379 Senior Member
    I asked about the rigor question and the GC told me that he would still say he's on the most rigorous track since he will be all honors and AP for all four years.
    Whatever you do, do NOT take this for granted. Counselors change or an assurance offered now will probably not be remembered after several years have passed. Revisit, remind, and insist when the time comes. If you happen to have gotten the assurance in email, make sure you archive it someplace safe.
    @Otterma I think they use some sort of rubric to decide on "most rigorous". With all AP and honors classes all four years, S19 probably not in jeopardy of of not getting most rigorous on the transcript. I just wasn't sure if a student had to take the absolute hardest classes in all subjects in order to get most rigorous but that does not sound like that's the case. I will follow up, though...and I did get this assurance in an email so that's good.
2»
This discussion has been closed.