right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• crazymamaBcrazymamaB 268 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @doschicos @oldparent I get to Troy a couple of times a year to visit family. It is still a pit. I will admit there are some good restaurants to eat at, but still a pit.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4018 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    @cag60093 Sounds heavenly! Indigo Girls on the Terrace? What a treat! (I heard them in Atlanta, back in the day . . . _
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • barronsbarrons 23047 replies1953 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Visited Terrace one summer evening and saw Janelle Monae. She was unique.
    · Reply · Share
  • Old_parentOld_parent 131 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @bookworm They have a name for your condition, Stockholm Syndrome. Lol I'm sure MIT is right for some but 2 minutes into the presentation my daughter and I wanted to run to western Massachusetts. A little green area and better physical plant wouldn't have changed anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • dustypigdustypig 910 replies17 threadsRegistered User Member
    We are headed to La Jolla this summer for vacation and all the hate made me think we shouldn't even do a drive by!

Hey, just because a few people here don't like the campus doesn't mean your kid will feel the same way! Obviously lots of people like the campus or they wouldn't be at school there.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJFabFourNJFabFour 114 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    University of Rochester - extremely poorly planned open house with no organization, extremely dull speaker (the Dean of the college, not a good sign) and presentation, lifeless campus with sullen students . . . it's a pretty campus and I really wanted my S to like it but aside from the campus, we just couldn't find any redeeming qualities.
    Pace University (Manhattan) - both our kids liked the idea of going to school in NYC but the extremely non-traditional nature of the school turned them both off right away.
    · Reply · Share
  • SwimDad99SwimDad99 191 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited April 2017
    Stem2017. Yes, we experienced that. We visited 20+ colleges and universities, and they fell into two categories: "maybe" and "no." For the "maybe" schools, the advantage usually shifted to the last school we saw and the last coach who expressed interest. As we whittled down the "maybe" list, that "new kid in town" feeling was less pronounced.

Out of respect for the running topic, I'll just add that we were also (in addition to Duke mentioned earlier) a little disappointed with Amherst. I really wanted to like it but found the campus a bit underwhelming -- especially the library. On the other hand, Amherst was among my favorite college towns, and we enjoyed the nature trail running along the back of the campus.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 3968 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Clark University in Worcester, MA. Presentation was fine and the academics actually seem great - but the campus! "Gross" is the comment from my kid about Clark's campus. There is only one nice looking building and the rest are not cohesive - especially the library which is a '70s concrete "thing" shaped like a toddler's stack of wooden blocks. The inside was n orange 70s flashback. As we walked through the middle of the campus (not he surrounding area, the actual center of campus) a group of sketchy locals in their 30s with little kids actually taunted us.

They kept priding themselves on how they were an open campus and the surrounding area can walk right through since the school is a part of the local community. What that school needs is a gate around campus - similar to Fordham, Holy Cross and others.

"There is no way I'm applying to that school" was the statement I heard once we got back in the car.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • CMB625CMB625 265 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    College of Charleston-we felt like the people in charge were the snobbiest snobs of snob town...
    Love the city of Charleston though!
    @STEM2017 my husband says to our daughter "the college you visit last seems to become your favorite". Completely normal.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14748 replies986 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @suzyQ7
    They kept priding themselves on how they were an open campus and the surrounding area can walk right through since the school is a part of the local community. What that school needs is a gate around campus - similar to Fordham, Holy Cross and others.
    Actually Clark's central campus was gated until about a decade ago and campus security would check for student ID's.
    · Reply · Share
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee 673 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    So @Old_parent, you started this thread as a gentle attack at MIT, and are now apologizing for "off topic" ranting about foolishly window shopping on 5th avenue when you only wanted to buy at Walmart. Did your daughter get accepted to MIT, but not receive enough money for you to support her attendance?

How much less is the state option?

I agree that college is about experiencing new things, but I also believe that your fellow students are the vast majority of that experience. As a State U grad who started at a private school and transferred for money, the year I had at the small school was much more interesting and interactive than the last three combined.

Final thought. Nobody else is going to look out for your retirement, so you have every right to protect your financial future. Sadly, there are many in your situation without a choice, they have nothing to protect. You have choices, so be thankful.
    · Reply · Share