right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

1121122123124125127»

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 672 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    Echoing an earlier comment, my D found almost everyone at UVA to be arrogant and snooty, the opposite of VT, which she visited the next day.

I mentioned it to a co-worker, only 5-6 out of UVA. Rather than being defensive, he was embarrassed - apparently it’s a common reaction/reality.

And it will always be Carnegie-Mellon to me, hyphen intact, despite what the marketing folks tell me. Not to mention the “don’t use ‘CMU’, Central Michigan trademark” kerfuffle.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1392 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We toured UVA in May and found the students there to be extremely friendly, not snooty at all. But what struck us the most on the tour day, was how happy everyone we met/saw was! Just very inviting.
    It is always interesting to see how different people’s perceptions can be.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5126 replies74 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I thought this was a thread for why we didn’t like a school. If we defend all the ones that are mentioned it becomes a debate. These are always just an impression and not meant to be 100 factual. UVA is snooty and UVA is very down to earth. Eye of the beholder thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8343 replies53 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    There have been differing views presented on schools from the very beginning of the thread. . Unless posts go on and on about a particular school, I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm just glad to see people posting again on established threads after all the transition regarding CC in the last week!
    · Reply · Share
  • silversmithsilversmith 14 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Love this thread and will stick to the OP request and then go find a place to rave about the Brandeis campus (I know...I know...to each their own). For our S2017, it was Princeton. Probably we made some bad choices about the route we took but coming from NE we had to pass through parts of Jersey that were an urban wasteland, so went from an industrial nightmare into a rural outpost that was the outskirts of Princeton. Visited the campus on a cold, wet winter day (another bad choice) and then joined an endless tour past one Hogwarts building after another with no sense of what was what--just that the campus was very large, hard to parse, and had an unusual fascination with remote gardens. Saw a lot of very tall, muscular athletic type young men dressed very well wandering the campus in packs. Saw multiple very expensive bicycles. Got the total feel that this was the homeland of George H.W. and all respect to the man--a fine president with a good heart--it was not the world my son came from or wanted to go to. Fit--seeing yourself belonging in a community--which is often so very much intertwined with place--is so important. I encourage all parents to visit if at all possible as early as possible--Princeton came off the list entirely -- odds were heavily against admission so it is even more important to be able to say to yourself at 18 "never would see myself there...will focus on more compelling choices." HYPSM wannabes--check out those campuses!
    · Reply · Share
  • shishamoshishamo 11 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    For my s18, it was Stanford. Right after the tour ended he turned to us and said he’s so glad he came because now he’s so sure he does not want to apply. Campus too spread out, too manicured and clean- looking, like a Disneyland, didn’t feel real, no easy access to the city. He loved Berkeley which he saw the day before!

· Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 833 replies26 postsRegistered User Member
    Our surprise dislike was American University. Our time in DC was wonderful and I really thought AU would be a good option. But the info session was a total turn off...an unenthusiastic guy basically reading totally boring slides that went over the various schools and colleges (information we had in our hands in the brochure), our tour guide was a little quirky (this I can overlook), and the campus and other students seemed, I don't know, cold. We just didn't get a feel for the school at all, and/or we both came away with no idea of the personality or culture or vibe, and didn't hear much that impressed us either. All this said, I think it very well could be an amazing school! That's why this was a surprise, and still is to me, but it went off the list right away.
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 46 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Brandeis with our daughter. Everyone just rubbed us the wrong way.
    Hopkins with our son. Honestly thought the campus was sacred ground of higher learning, but we saw a body on the street near campus and kind of wrecked the buzz.
    · Reply · Share
  • browniesundaebrowniesundae 212 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @OneMoreKid Was the body dead or alive??
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 46 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 9
    Didn't want to stare and "help" had already arrived, but we were thinking "not alive". Just continued the summer Death March up Rt. 95 all the way to Boston. Coincidentally, Rejected from all of the Death March schools with, apparently, a wake of bodies in our path.
    edited July 9
    · Reply · Share
  • DigitalDadDigitalDad 38 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    On the plus-side, my daughter was one of the very few in her HS friends circle that had A/C in her freshman year at Sulzberger Hall. Agreeing with your sentiments on the basement dining hall. That's on their "to-do", but frankly, a good portion of the day might be spent across the street at various Columbia lecture rooms, libraries, gym,... so it's easier to just use their various dining halls because they are close.
    After freshman year you end up with much more "dining dollars" on your meal plan, thus probably end up indulging at the Diana Cafe more often than the dining hall, if you're not cooking/eating in your appartment.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7617 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Dartmouth College. Immediately went off the list.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1295 replies8 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Publisher Any specific reason, or just a general feeling?
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7617 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MWolf : The actions of students encountered on campus left a bad impression regarding drinking culture & maturity levels. The admissions rep--a recent Dartmouth College grad at that time-- who led the presentation repeatedly described Dartmouth as a country club. This was a decade ago when many parents of New England prep schools & boarding schools were concerned about the drinking culture at Dartmouth College.

As an aside, a book about Dartmouth College described disgusting practices at a couple of frats. These practices were confirmed by our student's friends & classmates who attended Dartmouth College. The book was popular with prep school students.

Personally, I have never met a Dartmouth College grad or Dartmouth Tuck MBA that I didn't like & bond with immediately before or since that campus visit. I have been to Dartmouth's campus many times but usually during the summer months. Nonetheless, in comparison to the other top choices, Dartmouth College moved from top three to the bottom of the list--actually off the list.

The timing of the visit, first week of classes in the Fall, probably should be considered as a factor which affected the Dartmouth College students' behavior--although we did not, and have never, encountered such behavior elsewhere.

Around that time, a video made by Dartmouth College students --"It's Drinking Time"--was widely circulated & heavily viewed on the internet. A very well done video made by Dartmouth students which mocked Dartmouth College's reputation as a heavy drinking, party school. Well worth watching.

In answer to your question, no, it was not just a general feeling. My family knows many Dartmouth College grads & several Tuck MBAs . The ones to whom we related our experience shared that it was not an aberation.

Gorgeous campus, beautiful town, great academic schedule & I like the D-Plan. Never met anyone one-on-one related to Dartmouth College that I didn't like instantly.

· Reply · Share