right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• EmilySpinachEmilySpinach 204 replies16 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Columbia. This was our first college tour and I was very excited about touring this school. Our tour guide looked as though he just rolled out of bed and barely made eye contact with us. Five minutes into the tour my son said, "Lets go, I'll never come here". That was it. I was impressed, he wasn't.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15519 replies98 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Kenyon. We didn't notice anyone saying hi to anyone else as we walked around campus, and no one even looked at the tour group ... not that this is a big deal in the scheme of things, but it was a very different feel from the other small campuses we visited. It just felt a bit "cold."
    · Reply · Share
  • ChembiodadChembiodad 2414 replies21 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @kelsmom, our twin DD's were accepted, but we haven't had a chance to visit yet. Did you tour Bates as the feel there is very different?
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2511 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I thought Harvard was horribly maintained for a $50,000+/yr school (this was in 2006). The outer windowsills on buildings had peeling, flaking paint, the grass was in horrible shape, and litter/flyers were strewn everywhere. I know...it's Harvard, but I just kept thinking, "I can scrape, paint, and maintain my windows, and Harvard can't..."
    · Reply · Share
  • mamommamom 3657 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Williams - Visited last summer, middle of no where, and blah campus.

Pomona - Just toured 4 of the 5C's (skipped Harvey Mudd). We had a horrible tour guide and a person who talked in a monotone for the info session. Going in, Pomona was her favorite of the 5C's, leaving it was at bottom of list.
    · Reply · Share
  • catbird1catbird1 138 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Chapman! My mom and I could not get out of there fast enough.

I had high hopes for it (I know a couple of a current students there who rave about it), but the student tour guides were incredibly snooty. They mostly talked about what TV shows are filmed in Orange, the "swanky country club vibe" of their campus (their words, not mine!) and how they LOVE the the huge mall nearby. There was barely any discussion of academics. Hard pass.

Oh, and the info session consisted of the entire tour group awkwardly sitting in the lobby, with a FA rep answering individual questions - no useful info, unless you were the individual asking about your very specific situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • SwimDad99SwimDad99 191 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    We were probably the most disappointed with Duke. We liked all the NESCAC schools as well as the Claremont Colleges (Pomona, Claremont McKenna, and Scripps, esp.). Also liked Swarthmore, Chicago, WUSTL, Berkeley, Brown, Yale, and Dartmouth. So it was really just Duke. It's hard to put a finger on why. We just didn't feel it.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34093 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    CalTech--had very high hopes but it just seemed very run down and D found some sexist and offensive graffiti.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34093 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our kids liked the USC busy, happy vibe, which was the reason that was the only U she applied to transfer to. She didn't get that vibe from the many other campuses we visited.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13348 replies110 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    For S1, it was Caltech. For S2, it was NYU, Brandeis and Boston University.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19119 replies456 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    TCU. Worst tour guide ever. I think I wrote a cc visit report at the time.
    · Reply · Share
  • exlibris97exlibris97 1032 replies7 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @kelsmom I was reading some old threads and someone wrote that when they visited Kenyon, they kept expecting a cow to walk across the grass. Never visited but it sounded...rural.
    · Reply · Share