Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• HoggirlHoggirl Registered User Posts: 1,176 Senior Member
    Pomona! So snotty/uppity! On the other hand, @thumper1 - we loved Claremont McKenna! Did not look at Pitzer.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,972 Senior Member
    Tufts for my twin DD's; five minutes into the tour they said it wasn't for them - who knows it may have been the painted cannon...
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,788 Senior Member
    I didn't do many of the college visits. But I think the school that D2 visited that unexpectedly was her least favorite was Amherst. (There were others that she and D1 didn't like, but their expectations going to see those were lower to begin with.)
    @rosered55, yes, Amherst too. My twin DD's toured it twice and didn't have any feeling - that said we all agreed that the little Mexican restaurant is town is great!
  • EmilySpinachEmilySpinach Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    Columbia. This was our first college tour and I was very excited about touring this school. Our tour guide looked as though he just rolled out of bed and barely made eye contact with us. Five minutes into the tour my son said, "Lets go, I'll never come here". That was it. I was impressed, he wasn't.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,558 Super Moderator
    Kenyon. We didn't notice anyone saying hi to anyone else as we walked around campus, and no one even looked at the tour group ... not that this is a big deal in the scheme of things, but it was a very different feel from the other small campuses we visited. It just felt a bit "cold."
    @kelsmom, our twin DD's were accepted, but we haven't had a chance to visit yet. Did you tour Bates as the feel there is very different?
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,630 Senior Member
    edited March 30
    Amherst - tour guide was incredibly snooty. The dorms were beautiful, though.

Harvard - felt more like a tourist attraction than a university for my D.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    I thought Harvard was horribly maintained for a $50,000+/yr school (this was in 2006). The outer windowsills on buildings had peeling, flaking paint, the grass was in horrible shape, and litter/flyers were strewn everywhere. I know...it's Harvard, but I just kept thinking, "I can scrape, paint, and maintain my windows, and Harvard can't..."
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,296 Senior Member
    Williams - Visited last summer, middle of no where, and blah campus.

Pomona - Just toured 4 of the 5C's (skipped Harvey Mudd). We had a horrible tour guide and a person who talked in a monotone for the info session. Going in, Pomona was her favorite of the 5C's, leaving it was at bottom of list.
  • catbird1catbird1 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Chapman! My mom and I could not get out of there fast enough.

I had high hopes for it (I know a couple of a current students there who rave about it), but the student tour guides were incredibly snooty. They mostly talked about what TV shows are filmed in Orange, the "swanky country club vibe" of their campus (their words, not mine!) and how they LOVE the the huge mall nearby. There was barely any discussion of academics. Hard pass.

Oh, and the info session consisted of the entire tour group awkwardly sitting in the lobby, with a FA rep answering individual questions - no useful info, unless you were the individual asking about your very specific situation.