right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37841 replies2065 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Dartmouth. Just did not impress us.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32132 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    I liked Brandeis, but my kid hated it. I liked the modern student center. I was disappointed that the Castle was so ugly inside.

I hate the Stanford campus. I love Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, but Stanford's version is very heavy. The buildings were too clean it just didn't look that comfortable. It looked like a modern hotel or office park. We liked the shabbiness of the Caltech dorms much better.

I don't remember Berkeley being dirty. I do remember a table of campus Republican out in the square where all the political stuff is.

Harvard's central area always has problems with the grass - too many trees! Too much winter! The tourists are much, much worse than when I was there.
    edited March 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • lje62lje62 5517 replies101 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    All three of my girls visited BU, all for different majors. The first one had an underwhelming tour guide and made her judgement from there. The second had another school that she had her heart set on and sort of dismissed it , really for a silly reason. The third didn't get accepted.

In all honesty , I think there are great matches for all students . The fit is based on so many factors that I can't rally pass judgment
    · Reply · Share
  • momofdogsmomofdogs 16 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    For one daughter it was Villanova. It felt like we were on a back lot tour and entered every building from the back. I realized later that many of the buildings face the main road, but we still found ourselves seeking out the pretty places. For another daughter it was Tufts. She couldn't put her finger on it, but wanted absolutely nothing to do with it about halfway through the tour. For yet another daughter it was Vanderbilt, which she thought she loved. We visited twice, and on the second visit she found the students to be less friendly and less happy, the information session speakers to be way too high on themselves, and the overall vibe to be blah ... which I realize runs completely counter to everything you hear about Vandy. I guess everyone needs to find their own reasons for applying or not applying to any given school.
    · Reply · Share
  • bordertexanbordertexan 301 replies3 postsRegistered User Member
    My kid hated Williams. They flew him in for preview weekend and he didn't apply after touring the place.
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope 2061 replies208 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Emory. And we had flown to Atlanta just to see it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19126 replies456 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Laughing at the Carleton turnoff.

For ds2, it was Macalester.
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19126 replies456 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Interesting. I just toured Swat last week and got a weird vibe.
    · Reply · Share
  • Musicmom2twoMusicmom2two 7 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    My daughter did not like Rice, LMU (although she gave it points for having the best view) or Yale. She did not like Berkeley either.
    · Reply · Share