right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• LindagafLindagaf 9026 replies490 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am with someone else on Brandeis. We never got out of the car. Weeds were growing everywhere. It felt like an abandoned pet. To be fair, it was summer, but still, couldn't leave fast enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 3987 replies27 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Conn Coll -- on paper, seemed like a perfect fit with focus on Honor Code, no greek life, strong visual arts, funding for summer internships, an enclosed campus (which kid had already figured out he preferred to an "open" campus with streets running through it, like Oberlin).

Nope. Couldn't stand the competitive jostling/chatter among families waiting for overly packed tours in Admissions, not impressed by the physical buildings (we entered some from the rear, which would have been impressive if tour had walked around front instead). An hour onto campus, kid did not feel like it was his "people. Athletic facilities (reached by walking across the pedestrian bridge over the road) and coach meeting pushed the school so low it came off kid's list.

On the positive side, the info session was up beat and entertaining and the tour of studio art facilities which we had arranged was really helpful. It was a school we very much wanted to like, and just couldn't.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16617 replies66 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    UCSD for me hands down. Visited it with son #1 back in 2006. It looked like an industrial complex and not in a good way and I live in the midwest. To top it off, the eucalyptus smell was nauseatingly over-whelming and we drove through and never got out of the car. Such a premier location and such a dismal complex. I did not expect that in a million years after touring UCSB and a few other campuses between Santa Barbara and San Diego. It was an interesting trip and California came off the list as a state possibility. Ironically SBCC which was an easy jaunt from UCSB so I wanted to walk around and stop in town for lunch is still one of my favorite campuses of all time and I think someone told me it was the "original" UCSB campus.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2892 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    University of Iowa. It looked a little worse for wear, compared to some other public flagships we had visited, and the food was bad.
    · Reply · Share
  • CrusoemomCrusoemom 59 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    For DD, she and I both were turned off by Yale. The tour guide was auditioning to see if she could get on the official tour guide list, and the two tour guides who were auditioning her were both standing at the back, constantly on their cell phones and chatting with each other (NOT talking about the tour). We felt so sorry for the tour guide, who was doing a nice job, and we were really pissed off at the ones who were supposedly auditioning her.

DS didn't have a single college that he didn't like. We had good tour guides at all of them. Tour guides make SUCH a difference to a first impression!
    · Reply · Share
  • QuantMechQuantMech 7909 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We didn't see much of UCSD, because I was uncomfortable about the metal bars on the windows at the nearby Residence Inn, ground floor, where we were staying for the night. (No joke) We don't need those around here, at least not yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen 1098 replies18 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I thought Wesleyan would be the perfect school for my D (strong arts but also science, enclosed campus, by a town not urban or rural etc) but she didn't like it at all. The mishmash of architectural styles made it feel ...uncohesive... to her. We initially thought it 'd be her ED school but she ended up not even applying to Wesleyan. Oh and school was in session but the campus was quiet and somber - she put a priority on a happy campus culture.

Contrast that to just last week, when my other D and I toured UCSB: it is spring break right now and the campus was still more buzzy and fun-feeling than Wes was during class session anyway!
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22673 replies2226 postsVerified Member Senior Member
    For my S -- LaSalle seemed like a perfect safety type of school on paper -- he wanted a mid-sized urban college. But we were all so uncomfortable with the area surrounding campus that he didn't even apply (and FWIW he ended up at Fordham in the Bronx).

For my D - I thought that Skidmore might be the perfect college for my D -- but it just struck my D as way too artsy. It may have been a case where the tour guide emphasized exactly the wrong things to get my D interested in the school (ex. art installations, looming center, etc but could not find a science lab to show my D). We ended up leaving Skidmore early to visit Union (which my D unexpectedly liked a lot). Skidmore is a really lovely school, but it just wasn't a fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1518mom1518mom 441 replies5 postsRegistered User Member
    We don't particularly like Stanford or USC because they are too perfect, no roughness around the edges, and reek of $$$. They also were way too big for my kids. My D hated Pomona because she felt there weren't enough trees. My son liked Lake Forest College, but H and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. We found the students and staff to be the most unfriendly, unhelpful, unenthusiastic people we've met on a college tour.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dancer41Dancer41 82 replies16 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Kenyon. On paper was a good fit but my daughter was turned off by a very cold feeling from the students we passed and an interview which consisted of "trick" questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • skyii558skyii558 35 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    UVA-the only lovely part of campus is the lawn area. The rest of campus is bisected by busy roads and the buildings and walkways are graffitied with the "tags" of their secret societies.
    · Reply · Share
  • pcmom1pcmom1 144 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    For my son - he hated Pomona. Loved Carleton and Colorado College (ended up at Colorado College)

For my daughter (so far) - Hated Harvey Mudd, Loved CalTech

Me - I hated CalTech (both time we visited) Hated Ponoma the first time (with son), Liked it the second time (with daughter)
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 862 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    My son hated Auburn. He does not like red brick! He also felt like they just weren't interested in him (then offered him a really good merit scholarship). It was summer and they had no tours and everything we asked seemed like an imposition even though we set everything up in advance. He even went back and still didn't like it.

Mississippi State didn't thrill him either. He liked the money they offered but just decided it wasn't for him.

· Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73836 replies3220 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We did not expect Drew to be a total winner... it we did not expect it to be as run down as it was either. The guide took us to a classroom building (it was summer...he could,have taken us ANYWHERE) that had broken furniture, disheveled curtains, and walls that were half repainted.

We were with friends...school lost two potential applicants that day.
    · Reply · Share
  • moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think high expectations fueled by beautiful internet photos are tough for reality to live up to. We had too-high hopes for UNC-CH and Bucknell. UNC does indeed have a wonderful older section, but the newer parts looked like a bunch of suburban high schools. Bucknell's buildings were nice, but the landscaping & surrounding area were blah.

Had time only for a quick drive around at Yale, & didn't see anything great (am told its magic is in its courtyards).

UVA is impressive, but I was annoyed that it's supposed to be such a marvel of planning, yet so much of the campus seems like they threw a bunch of pretty buildings in the air & didn't care where they landed.

· Reply · Share
  • JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen 1098 replies18 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MADad That's a little like out Wesleyan experience -- where were all the students? -- but instead of drinking, it was weed.
    · Reply · Share