right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Pity the Yale tourguide who had to lead a group of prospective students and their parents past that spot that day: "Please folks, try to step OVER the chalk line!"
    · Reply · Share
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee 673 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    Lehigh was a school that was a good fit and has a solid reputation....but 3 out of 4 in our family left with a sense that they had visited the set of a honor movie. I didn't "feel" it....but appreciate the comments.

@Old_parent - I would add Hopkins (Baltimore) to your list.
    · Reply · Share
  • kt1969kt1969 272 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I wasn't on this trip, but D17 and her dad went to visit Bryn Mawr last summer, and she aggressively HATED it after th visit. Not just like, eh, not for me, but HATED it. Something about the campus made her angry. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper 14014 replies100 threadsForum Champion CWRU Forum Champion
    Cornell...it was even a gorgeous day but there was no energy to the place.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20882 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @oldparent Don't write off Troy, yet. It's starting to have a resurgence. You can find other articles online.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/travel/another-hudson-river-town-reinvents-itself.html
    · Reply · Share
  • threebeansthreebeans 711 replies33 threadsRegistered User Member
    Purdue, the student tour guide needed a class in public speaking. The content was good, but I was distracted by the number of "like" and "so, yeah!" injected into their speech.
    · Reply · Share
  • redpoodlesredpoodles 2078 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Some kids have the knack, but yes, in general, a public speaking or even theater class would be a great pre-requisite to becoming a tour guide. One of the best tours we had (Dickinson) was given by a theater major. When he showed up he looked like he'd partied hard the night before and was hungover, but once we got going, he really turned it on like a professional. He knew how to project his voice, he understood pacing (even the jokes were perfectly paced) and he also put forth an entertainment value to our tour that most guides do not know how to do. In a perfect world....
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Old_parentOld_parent 131 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @doschicos. A few weeks ago I was mapping routes to RPI that didn't pass directly through the city. I knew if my daughter saw the Troy I remembered, it would be over. They didn't give her enough aid and so they are off the list. I'm glad to hear they are having a resurgence.
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 3416 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I thought U of Florida was pretty bland and generic, too.

It's funny, I thought the same thing. I heard for YEARS how great UF is, and maybe my expectations were too high. It felt like 1975.

That being said, my son goes to UF now and loves it. It doesn't show well necessarily, but there is something special going on there.
    · Reply · Share
  • MinnesotaDadof3MinnesotaDadof3 352 replies21 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited April 2017
    @doschicos, I'd be a bit concerned about Troy, NY, like @oldparent. After all, the Forbes 2016 Financial Grades listing gives RPI a financial grade of C+, and the Sage Colleges (also in Troy) get a D rating (tenuous financially). See the link here:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2016/07/06/forbes-2016-financial-grades-is-your-college-financially-fit/#55f58a006e50

Closure of Russell Sage and affiliated schools would hurt real estate values, jobs and require repurposing those facilities.

RPI's rating isn't so hot, despite paying president Shirley Ann Jackson the highest salary of all U.S. private universities in 2014 (her compensation was $7.1 million in 2012), and with her still having time to serve on multiple corporate boards that pay her another $1 million+ each year. That seems a financial travesty-- under those circumstances, I'd never pay tuition to send a child there.
    edited April 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • mominthemiddlemominthemiddle 29 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @soxmom We are in CT, D played AAU basketball a few years, most games were in New Haven. The week before games, I would hear about this shooting or that shooting on streets we'd be driving on or near - freaked me out. But the worst was the day we went to get lunch, driving down the road there is a person fully decked out in a complete Zoro costume with cape, mask, hat. No sword though, he had a jimmy and was walking down the street trying to break into cars. My daughter was like "Hey, look at that guy" and when I saw him I started yelling at her not to stare - was afraid he'd come at our car.

Ah, New Haven.....
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 3416 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^I could totally dig UCSD!
    · Reply · Share