Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does everyone snap like this?

Replies to: Does everyone snap like this?

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,838 Senior Member
    She just got her first B? You need to relax.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    I don't think it is the B she is worried about. It is an ACT score (19) indicating the student is not college-ready that is problematic.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    But she's not in honors math, due to some limitations. Thqt may have affected the test. Yes, the GC can note any challenges and how she overcame.

But that's where the rest of the picture matters. Doubt she wants stem. But the ECs will show her choices, among things available, besides the hospital. (I always advovate better safe than sorry.)

You don't want to know my D1's SAT M.
  • Dancer41Dancer41 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Typed a long response that never showed up. Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. Here are some clarifications now that I've settled down.

I did not snap at my daughter - poor choice of words on my part. I've started to become anxious and crazed with this - something I never expected! Trying to keep that away from her although I'm not naive enough to think she doesn't sense it at times.

My daughter does have a 504 plan and we were focused on the ACT because her accommodations allow her to chunk up the test over several days - a huge benefit. Hoping she can get that 19 up. She does well in math, but she's in Algebra II and mentioned that many of the problems were things she hadn't learned. Her PSAT score was 520. Hoping that 3 months more of class and a tutor for the test will help her raise it into the 20s. In the end, many of the schools she's interested in, as you all point out, are test optional and she will happily apply that way which is why that's probably the one area I'm not as worried about. Her thought is that for the schools that do require them, she'll just take her chances understanding that she won't be as strong a candidate becuase of them. I can't say she likes any of the test required schools better than the test optional.

I do know getting a B is not a horrible thing, my younger daughter is grateful for them and we are proud when she gets them. It was just something that happened at a time when I was hearing stories about rejections.

She does participate in more varied ECs, it's just that service is the one she's passionate and focused about. All we've heard is quality over quantity so I think she's what she will likely highlight.

Appreciate all the advice about accommodations for her college experience. Expect me to be back with a post on that once we get closer. This is huge and it's one of the reasons that I have been against ED and encouraging her not to find a dream school (which she hasn't). We will want time to explore what can be offered for her. What she gets in HS is extra time, a copy of the notes, ability to type assignments and ability to answer orally in cases where that is easier. It's worked very well for her. Math is not a struggle, it's simply that she has decided not to take the honors track becuase it's that much more handwriting and although her teachers have told her she's qualified, it's too much pressure as technology can't help the same way as it can for writing assignments.

This is a great place for support and advice (as well as a source of stress!) and I appreciate you heping me through this.
    It isn't that you can't hide the ACT score, OP. You can, But the problem is, it suggests, frankly, inadequate math ability to handle the required courses at the schools she is currently considering, which are unlikely to offer her the same degree of accomodations she currently receives. So you may win the battle by getting her into college, only to lose the war by having her struggle terribly in the required math/science courses, which she may not pass.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    ^ not necessarily an admit issue, for a gal with accommodations, good grades, and not headed into stem. She can take a hard look into the "what else" each college likes, shore that up. She may even have a good math LoR.

And for any requirements, once there, OP can look into this, the variety of courses that meet any math requirement, whether some are designed to be simpler than others.

@roycroftmom, but I do agree with you for stem, where math competitiveness is a basis for the major.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,910 Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up about moments of panic, we all have them. As for building the list, consider expanding the safety/match category to include schools like Lawrence, Beloit, Kalamazoo (open curriculum, no math or science required!!!), and Knox -- all of which are test optional and award merit without test scores(may be a factor for full pay families). Dickinson awards its bottom tier merit, $10k, for test optional students, but reserves its higher awards for kids who submit scores. Denison gives merit without test scores. Both Dickinson and Denison require quantitative and science/lab courses. Consider whether to pull Vassar and Haverford from the list of visits -- a B+/A- students with below a 30 composite is going to have a hard time getting accepted, and it may not be worth the heartache. Hang in there!
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,324 Senior Member
    I am PM'ing you.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    When you say her core class grades are 88 to 92 - is 88 a B+?
    What was the science score on the ACT?
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up over the panic. It is one of the most anxiety producing endeavors, this whole application process! There was just a good essay on this in the Huffington Post written by a mom who is also an admission counselor, or somehow involved professionally and she still found it anxiety producing.

The reason to consider ED is it increases the odds of admission. Since you said you are full pay, financial aid doesn't play a role.

But if you go regular decision, I still predict your daughter will have options of several good choices come this time next year. It is all nerve wracking​ but then it is done!
  • Dancer41Dancer41 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    wisteria 100, I showed her GPA in numbers because I know each school has a different system. In Naviance her GPA is 4.24 unweighted and 4.34 weighted but our school uses A+ for 95+ and doesn't use A-. That GPA I believe includes things like electives. So for her this year it's A/A+ in Math; B+/A in Honors Physics, B+ in AP History and English and A in language and A+ in everything else. I would say a similar pattern each year but mostly A/A+s if not AP classes.

Overall ACT was 24
    Science was 23
    ELA 28
    Writing 10
    Reading 31
    Math 19
    This was no tutoring, no prep, accomodations (extra time testing over several days) but only 1/2 year of Algebra II
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,838 Senior Member
    edited April 21
    Has she considered taking the SAT? Some kids just do better on that test. I know,you said she has accommodations for,the ACT...but SAT provides them also...with appropriate documentation.

Are any of the schools she is considering test optional. Check out fairtest.com for a list of test optional,schools. This could be a benefit for her.

It would be helpful to talk to her counselor at high school. There seems to be a massive disconnect between her grades and her scores in math and science. Has this been the case on other standardized tests over the years? Either there's huge grade inflation or she has some severe testing issue. It would be good to know either way so you can find a good fit for college.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,680 Senior Member
    What's her class rank or an estimate if the school doesn't rank?
    The student is scoring below the 25th percentile at all the schools considered. Realistically, absent a major hook, she is not likely to be admitted to any of them. Time for a new list.
This discussion has been closed.