Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

Replies to: Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

• TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Not only Wake, but the vast majority of the more competitive schools have a similar ED/RD profile, and have had one over the 7-8 years I've been following admissions as our family has been participating in the college search process. It just seems to have ratcheted up across the board over the last few years.

I think applying ED/EA as a legacy has a multiplier effect for applicants--the admissions dean at my alma mater told a group that it did--but also many students applying ED/EA are not legacies. I'm guessing the multiplier effect is rooted in research that shows multiple generations at a school enhances alumni giving.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 26,044 Senior Member
    Just saying, people love to get hot abut ED.
    And demonstrated interest can be as simple as knowing what that college is about, (not simply picking based on prestige rankings,) being able to answer a Why Us question (or others that scope that out.) If a kid can't get that understanding, his chances go down anyway, whether early or not. This is much more than getting your name on a mailing list or having a few extra months to send the AO ten emails.
  • friday28friday28 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @EyeVeee As mentioned above this is not a new policy for Wake. Also, how is it any different then applying ED to a school in Nov? There isn't any new information or grades to submit so what's the difference if it's July or November? and who's to say that a kid who gets accepted early doesn't work hard during their senior year? Highly selective schools accept motivated students who don't come to a halt because they are into college. Just my opinion from observation.
  • friday28friday28 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @EyeVeee I do agree with you that the schools play games though... all of them. It's unfortunate but I'm not sure it will change any time soon.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    After the rinse cycle that my twin DD '21s just went through with ED deferrals, waitlists, and rejections from schools that would have matches 10 years ago, I can't imagine what's in store for my DD '27. Someone mentioned a 1% acceptance rate will be posted in the future, and I now firmly believe we'll see it along with many sub-5%'s.
    edited May 2017
    @Daisy192, our twin DD's from NJ didn't see any benefit from the ED process as they both applied to schools that had only slightly better ED acceptance rates - Bowdoin in one case and Brown in the other. Both were deferred and then denied so in hindsight they probably should have tried to ED at schools that had 2x better acceptance rates, but those were their dream schools so you can't look back. For them, the RD round was unusually clear with 50% acceptances, 10% waitlist and 40% denials; this was very different than classmates who seemed to be mostly WL and denied.
    edited May 2017
    @EyeVeee, DD's aren't unhappy with committing to Hamilton as it's a great school and the prefect fit for my student-athlete, but her twin is playing the what if game as she sits anxiously on the Middlebury waitlist. When she applied ED to Brown she struggled with Middlebury as well, and now feels like she should have taken that ED path - UGH
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    @EveVeee I think the more emphasis that is placed on ED (and predict it will be huge in 2017-18), the more selective colleges will be under considerable pressure to either provide some sort of matching Financial Aid guaranty to ED admits or otherwise take the financial bias out of the ED process.

If ED ever becomes an economically neutral option, the whole process will be turned upside down.
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 1,796 Senior Member
    @pantha33m Perhaps ED schools will offer some sort of guaranteed FA review before ED deadline. I know CMU offers a more thorough FA review if you send them all the documents. Doesn't help with merit but Need-based students might be able to take advantage of ED in that case.
  • Daisy192Daisy192 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @Chembiodad thanks for your input. It makes me feel a little better knowing we didn't screw up by not going ED or EA.
    We were just befuddled that D #5 having better stats, GPA ,more ECs, 6 AP and 5 Regents under her belt including Trig, was passed over by the very schools sisters attended. Well not all Barnard said yes but she hates it, only applied cause I said so go figure. Even two SUNYs Bing and Stony Brook Waitlisted her while a good portion of her class who went ED got in. I thought those were going to be her safeties. I'm not one of those prestige college type parents. As a single mom the winner in our household as always been who gives the best FA and where I can afford to send them. They just happen to be great students so I guess I was lucky but it still hurt just the same.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    So, is business good in general for Colleges? Or only for a select few?

I've noticed that McGill has been overwhelmed with applications. No idea if it's by non-US foreign students, US students taking advantage of the .72 dollar, or an uptick in domestic apps.
This discussion has been closed.