Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

Replies to: Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

• ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    @Daisy192, agree that it's getting so crazy that their HS's Naviance results from three years were meaningless; it's clear even GC's were caught off guard. They went into the process with a wide net, which was the right move, but to think that a well rounded kid with great scores (35 ACT) and great grades would be shut out from so many schools was shocking. In the end, they did great with acceptances to Bates, Carleton, Colby, Colgate, Hamilton, Kenyon and Oberlin and waitlisted at a couple others such as Middlebury and Wesleyan, but to flat out denied Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams and at some Ivies was a surprise.
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    @pantha33m - I think the ED pressure increases every year....as the RD percentages fall to unreasonably low levels.

@Chembiodad - The strategy around ED is quite possibly the toughest in the whole process. Reach vs. Strong Fit (ie slight reach) vs. Fit. Too conservative and you play the "what if" on the Reach school....Too aggressive and you play the same game on the next one down the list.

We had a literally coin flip on ED1 / ED2 prioritization, knowing that 2 deferrals / rejections would likely lead to settling on a "nice" school that didn't excite my daughter. We were lucky that ED1 worked.

@57special - McGill uptick surely includes international kids worried about US visa policies and the unknown (IMO). Why not throw in the app and see what happens over the next few months.
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    @Chembiodad - I agree Naviance is less and less useful. Too many unknowns in the data to trust it.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    S1 is only a HS Junior, so it's a bit early to be applying anywhere. Athletics is part of the mix with him, complicating admission matters, but McGill and other Canadian Uni's are certainly an option, as we are dual citizens, and get a discount on tuition.
    @Dolemite, yikes! What the increase as compared to Year 1?
    @EyeVeee, no complaints with both of them ending up at Hamilton as it's an amazing school, but wow what a torturous process getting there.
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 1,922 Senior Member
    @Chembiodad Year one:

Estimated Cost of Attendance* $ 74,834

Tuition and fees ......................................................................... $57,763

Room and meals......................................................................... $13,618

Books and supplies...................................................................... $1,246

Travel.............................................................................................. $106

Personal Expenses....................................................................... $2,101
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 3,721 Senior Member
    The takeaway I saw this year at our school, is that it is even harder for an unhooked female to win the lottery of tippy-top schools than ever before. School placed about 20% of the class (but not the Val & Sal) into Ivies & Stanford. Exactly 1 was unhooked.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,144 Senior Member
    This whole thread is scaring the beejezus out of me. I've got a sophomore in college and a junior in high school with almost identical stats, and so much seems to have changed in such a short amount of time. And the rise in costs? Yowza.
    edited May 2017
    We had many hooked female athletic recruits and legacies, but only 2 unhooked females into either Ivies, Stanford or Top-5 LAC's; males did much better. That said, I don't think both DD's would have done as well as they did if one hadn't been a athletic "tip" recruit even though both profiled the same.
    @Daisy192, congrats that it all worked out for your DD as well!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,554 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    "What college should I apply ED to?" will become a more common question each year.

For students, ED will be more tactical, rather than just for one's clear first (realistic) choice (and no ED if one does not have a clear first choice), but with greater chance of ED regret.
This discussion has been closed.