Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

Replies to: Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

• ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,221 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    For DD2, she swung for the fences with ED to Brown only to get Deferred and then Denied, when in retrospect her other top choice Middlebury was a more realistic ED choice given the much higher acceptance rate - but yes there would have been the forever look back if she hadn't followed that path. Yes, it was get even crazier going forward.

That said, both are in a great place as Hamilton is an amazing school!
    edited May 2017
    @pantha33m, that's not an unrealistic strategy as many of their friends were WL or Denied at all of their RD target schools. And while WL season has just started, we are already hearing that many schools are over yield through RD and won't be going to WL.
  • ams220ams220 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    My D had a similar experience to @Chembiodad's twins. She aimed high for ED1 and was unsuccessful. She applied to 6 RD schools, all of which meet full need. She got into 3 of those 6, WL at 2 and rejected by 1. Interestingly (to us anyway), 2 of the 6 are NOT need-blind, and she got into both of those despite having quite high need. So glad this process is done, and I think she did well despite not having played ED correctly. In our school community, I'm definitely advising parents of the class of 2018 to have their ED pick be more of a match than a reach.
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 1,636 Senior Member
    @STEM2017 4 RT tickets on the Bolt Bus?
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    @Daisy192 - Things are a lot different than 10 years ago, but it is easy to get wrapped up in the competitiveness of the whole process. It sounds like D5 will be just fine, but there are some things you / she can do to help reach an outcome that makes everyone happy.

So what I read in your post (#66) was track star. Track star at D1 or D3? D1 is a universe beyond my radar. If it's D3, then there are countless forums here to address the opportunity and frustrations of applying ED based on coach recommendations or suggestions. Sports are a great hook at the competitive schools discussed the most here, and when combined with ED admissions can result in an amazingly simple process. Easy holiday shopping.....college swag.

The downside is if your daughter doesn't land in the ED process, and then starts to play the "what if" scenarios about another school (or schools). @Chembiodad nicely lays out the issues above....and his daughters are going to a fantastic school (one that went from unknown to favorite in our house over the past year)....but it wasn't without months of torture.

If you read my first post, the one thing I have noticed this year is that good kids who are engaged in all of their EC's (and not just doing it for college) have been getting into good schools. The admissions folks seem to be able to see those who are "doing it for the app". WIth 6 EC's, I'd worry more about grades, taking the most challenging course-load your daughter can do well with, and interviewing / visiting schools that she wants to attend.

Things generally work out....it just rarely feels that way here.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,104 Senior Member
    @Dolemite One way Uber ride from Columbia to Greenwich Village on a rainy Saturday night.
  • JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    I personally would love to see a system by which the number of applications on the Common App is limited to 10 and in place of ED, a national non-binding SCEA option for common app schools. Unlikely to happen, but it would certainly ease the stress for prospective students and their families and might possibly help the schools in gauging genuine "interest." It might make the admissions staffs' workload a bit more manageable.

Sounds good to me, @mamaedefamilia but that plan goes against the huge money making machine that is the college prep/application industry.
    edited May 2017
    @EyeVeee, we didn't know a lot about Hamilton other than it always being highly ranked on the USNWR list and me seeing their graduates pop up in IB shops so I knew it had smart students, but it wasn't until we visited 4-5 times over the last 2 years that we realized it was a great group of students as well.

My xc/track DD spent a decent amount of time meeting coaches and did recruiting overnights across a range of schools so she was able to get the sense of the community that seems to be a big part of the success at Hamilton.

We are thrilled with the opportunity both DD's will have there. What were the qualities that moved it your list and do you have a 2022 that is considering Hamilton?
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    @Chembiodad our youngest (2021) fell in love with Hamilton after visiting (twice). It is the most well run school we've encountered. The overnight in the fall was great, and we (the family) actually stayed on campus at the ???? center.

She literally was close to flipping a coin between Hamilton and Haverford....but in the end decided to stay near home and her sister (@ Swat).

I posted this someplace else, but our daughter loved Hamilton so much that once she was accepted elsewhere she talked a good friend (who didn't really know the school) into applying...sight unseen. He visited and interviewed in January, changed his app to EDII, and will be part of the class of 2021. She's thrilled...and a bit jealous....but it all worked out.

• Daisy192Daisy192 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @EyeVeee D1-4 have already graduated more than 10 years now thank goodness. D#5 is the track star with the better college resume. My point was that I never worked this hard for the first group who all applied RD, only to sit here months later watching her get rejected or WL especially to schools I thought were safe,. She's graduating with a 3.9 GPA, 11 in a graduating class of 300. Even with all the ECs and track she has consistently been on honors and principle lists since middle school her grades have never suffered. So this is why I was of the opinion that as far as I could tell with what happened in our neck of the woods, the ED & EA kids seem to do a whole lot better than she did RD. In the end I thinks its just a crap shoot unless your kid has invented the better light bulb.. I see kids post way better stats and am astounded when they say they didn't get in either. She's happy with her nursing school choice and so are we. Thanks for the input.
    edited May 2017
    @EyeVeee, We visited both Haverford and Swarthmore (DD did an overnight there as well); both are great choices - congrats!
This discussion has been closed.