Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Share feedback related to your experience on College Confidential to help us shape future initiatives.

Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

Replies to: Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

• northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,819 Senior Member
    edited May 5
    "You have to be a monster before you drink to behave this way when you drink."

Not really.

I spent years (bar tender) being one of the few sober people in the room.

We all will do things drunk that we'd never do while sober. That's one of the reasons people like to drink. If you suppress your regulators just a bit, you get bad karaoke. If you suppress the regulators a lot, you can get stuff that you literally can't believe. IQ declines as BAC increases.
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    Penn State and the local ordinances do not penalize students for calling in an alcohol-related emergency, or bringing someone to the ER. Has been the case for many years.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    @MaterS could you explain how putting a backpack on a person prevents them from choking on vomit?
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    We all will do things drunk that we'd never do while sober.

That's precisely because when most are sober, the inhibitions in place prevent them from acting in ways which reveal aspects which are socially and/or legally unacceptable in a given society.

Once those inhibitions come off, those who are naturally inclined towards illegal and/or morally dubious/heinous actions will be much more likely to reveal their true character that's often hidden when sober.

Those who aren't naturally inclined that way won't behave in such a manner.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    @GnocchiB It prevents them from sleeping on their back and choking (drowning) in their own vomit.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    One of my children went to a college where every frat pledge dropped. Hazing? The college needs to ask questions before they support the frat.
  • aj725aj725 Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    edited May 5
    Penn State has issues -- always say the same -- good school with decent programs esp in business and engineering. and yet something about that place isn't right. This stuff happens with more significant frequency and in more extreme ways that other big party schools. I mean Sandusky was an anomaly -- I'll give you that. But not 2 yrs ago they had some other extreme drinking frat shut downs PLUS one that made national press bc they were passing around pics of nude/unconscious female students. Now this.

There's something about the culture of this school which makes kids feel like they can do what they want, cover it up, and nothing will be found or if it is, it'll be a slap on the wrist. These things happen, administrators do just enough wrist slapping to make it clear how "serious" they are, there's a massive PR campaign where they tout how much money they are raising for THON or how they will win another Big 10 football championship -- and all is forgotten in that distraction. I'm sure electing Jay Paterno (son of the famed football coach at the helm but had noooo idea what was happening in his own locker room even when told by a grad assistant coach to the Board today will help matters -- they'll go back to "protect the school's reputation first."
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,653 Senior Member
    PennLive has several related stories.
    http://www.pennlive.com/#/0
    Meanwhile Joe Paterno's son was just elected to the Penn State Board of Trustees. This will ensure that the Sandusky affair will continue to haunt the university.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,784 Senior Member
    "It prevents them from sleeping on their back and choking (drowning) in their own vomit."
    STUPID idea. If you are passed out, it won't help of course.

I wish those articles had listed the names of every one of those 18 fraternity members (I won't call them "brothers" because brothers wouldn't act that way).

Earlier in the week I read the story about the Baylor fraternity Cinco de Drinko BS and now this. Remind me what the benefits of greek life are supposed to be again?!? When will colleges realize the liabilities aren't worth any perceived benefits (don't tout fundraising activities because colleges without greek life have plenty of philanthropic activity) and ban greek life from campus.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,882 Senior Member
    My middle son visited Penn State a couple of years ago for a college related competition. At the time, he told me that he was uncomfortable with the amount of drinking that went on. He was 21 at the time and did/does drink but did not while there because he was one of the older students; he actually left a room where under-aged kids were drinking (kids from a number of schools) and went back to his room. When he and I discussed this story, I told him that several people had suggested/encouraged Techson17 to apply to Penn State because it has a good theater department. He looked at me, horrified, and said: "Don't send my baby brother to that place. It has great ice cream but no..."

I told my sons that if I was the mother of one of those 18 young men arrested, I would be totally ashamed. My sons agreed with me.

I feel badly for the young man who wanted to call for help but was assaulted and dismissed. I wish that he had had the courage to follow through and call immediately. He could have saved 20 lives, one literally and the rest figuratively. I am sure he will feel guilt for the rest of his life - I am not so sure that the rest of the seemingly sociopathic frat bros will.