Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Share feedback related to your experience on College Confidential to help us shape future initiatives.

How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

Replies to: How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,569 Senior Member
    Many of the schools on the list are pretty small. Another 25 students makes a big difference to a school of 1500 and nothing at all to a school of 15000.

By being on the list they aren't saying they'll take anyone who applies, but that they do have some room.
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    edited May 7
    There is always a surprise or two every year. Whitman is a fantastic college, and I'm surprised it's on there this year. But I also see a trend on CC towards urban colleges, and also either ones in CA or the NE. Neither the PNW or the Midwest have that kind of draw so I'm not surprised to see that some great colleges are listed here. My D loved our Whitman visit, but it lost out to another great LAC across the country.
  • stwide19stwide19 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    It frustrating as a PA resident to see Penn State make the list this year as well. It has been a fine engineering and business school but thanks to Penn State board they expanded too fast. There are more campuses now than a few decades ago. This has diluted Penn State name and has wrecked the PASSHE schools as well. Both PASSHE schools and CCs are struggling to admit good students. I haven't seen any other big name university make it to the list...Sad...
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,538 Senior Member
    I'm just starting to familiarize myself with art schools for DS21. (Totally different direction than DS17!) Does anyone who looks at this list from year to year know if it is odd for CalArts to be on there? I thought they were really selective as far as art schools.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    I thought the same @Ynotgo . I remember Calarts as haivng a good rep even back in the 80s. I think it's of course a combination of factors, but I like a lot of the explanations from various people on this thread.
  • violaineviolaine Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    edited May 7
    I would assume a lot of these colleges need full pay, or at least more pay, students. I was accepted to three on this list, all of which are still offering FA, but didn't get enough money from them to justify attending. Pretty annoying, really.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,784 Senior Member
    As far as schools having room (or not), pretty much any school has at least a little summer melt. Unless a school overenrolled, many will look to add on the margin between now and late August.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    I agree with @citymama9 that an isolated location can be a challenge for a school in the admissions season. If a student is looking for an LAC in New England, they can visit several fairly easily. Even if they are interested in Carleton in MN, for example, they could easily take a look at Macalester and/or St. Olaf on the trip. But if Whitman in WA or Lawrence U. in WI or St. Lawrence U. in NY seems appealing on paper/online, they are difficult to visit and not close to other schools. It's probably more of a big deal in admissions than if a student likes the school, decides to attend, and is enjoying the experience (and all 3 are good schools). Then you just do what you need to do in terms of transportation. It's just a high initial hurdle that makes it harder for the schools to attract a very large number of well-prepared applicants.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,034 Senior Member
    edited May 7
    It's amazing the number of CA students that come all the way across the country to go to LAC's in NE - why isn't the PNW seen as a perfect closer option - schools such as Colgate, Colby, and Hamilton are also small LAC's in the middle of nowhere and are full of students from CA.
  • OvertheedgeOvertheedge Registered User Posts: 1,203 Senior Member
    edited May 7
    I think Sewanee wants to move to "meets full need" and is putting greater resources toward FA than merit aid. They are trying to increase diversity as well and better FA aligns with that objective. The shift may not be without growing pains, however, since many of its direct competitors are more merit aid focused.

Schools like Sewanee and Whitman have historically been rather self selecting with a consistent yield. I wonder if increased exposure and applications have led to more students using these schools as matches or safeties. Maybe Whitman and Sewanee haven't yet learned to play the yield protection game.

Both schools have decent endowments. I know Sewanee is also in the midst of a $250 million fund raising campaign for programs and capital improvements (they've raised over $170 million so far) so I don't think there's any reason to be concerned at this point.
  • MarigrowMarigrow Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    On Sewanee -- Tuition was raised to about 45 thousand for next year, and average merit aid is now about 13 thousand.
    A similar-in-size LAC in the same region, Centre, has a tuition of about 5 thousand less, and average merit aid of about 22 thousand .
    I've been on both campuses and they are both well-maintained, etc. Hard for me to see why Sewannee is worth, on average, 14 thousand/year more.
    My feeling was that Centre was angling for the middle and upper-middle class being cut out elsewhere, whereas Sewannee was counting on more full or near full-pay students. Maybe that strategy isn't panning out for Sewannee.
  • ams220ams220 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @Chembiodad We are a high need family in California. Most of the meet full need schools are back east. That's why D17 applied to 5 schools in NY/PA/CT and only 2 in CA.
    edited May 7
    @ams220, great point; it interesting that most of the need-blind/meet 100% of demonstrated need schools seem to be in the NE. Was she happy with her outcome?
  • ams220ams220 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    She's very happy to be heading off to Barnard in August. It is certainly the easiest to travel to from here.
    Great choice and congratulations!