Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

All Out of Options - University Expulsion

anonymous73anonymous73 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
As the title stated, I'm all out of options. I found out today I was expelled from my university for poor grades. The most disapointing part is that I'm 1 semester away from graduating. I was scheduled to graduate in the Fall. Apparently, I was on academic probation, but wasn't aware of this. It was imperative that I pass all my classes this past semester. I had to complete 67%, unfortunately, I only completed 55%. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've communicated to my advisor I wasn't aware I was on academic probation, especially since she never mentioned it in all the times we met this semester. I haven't received a response from her yet. I will admit, I've screwed up on more than one occasion when it comes to my grades, and been given chances. But I've retaken and passed all those classes. I'm literally 3 classes away from getting my degree. The last 8 months have been difficult, as I've had 6 family members die. This includes my grandfather, my aunt (which I was her primary caregiver), and a grandmother. I'm hoping I can speak with someone to appeal this decision, especially since I'm so close to completing my degree. But I don't know how likely an appeal is at this point. I'm not sure what to do now. What school will accept me after being expelled? I'm currently majoring in Pre-med, even if I did find a school to accept me, my options are limited because I would have to attend ground classes. Plus, I'll have to retake so many classes just to have enough credits from that school. I'll be in school another 2 years at this rate. And lucky me, I'm running out of student loans. I only have enough for 1 semester. I feel like the biggest failure on earth. I now have to tell everyone that was expecting a December graduation, there won't be one. In an ideal world, I would continue my education, and finish as quickly as possible, but I don't see how that is possible. Advice on any of the aforementioned issues would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. not sure if this is relevant, but I go to school in Arizona
Thanks in advance!

Replies to: All Out of Options - University Expulsion

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,509 Senior Member
    You are premed? With what GPA?

Contact your academic advisor. There is likely an appeals process....find out what it is.

What was your GPA THIS term? Did you drop courses? Fail any?

• anonymous73anonymous73 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm not sure what my GPA was this term. I can't view any of that information anymore. Unfortunately, I did drop 1 class and failed 2 more. I passed the others.
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 2,407 Senior Member
    The formal letter or email announcing your expulsion might have info in it about when you can reapply for re-admission. I agree that you can't really be pre-med with such poor grades and failed classes.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,234 Senior Member
    There are many degree completion programs and even universities that will take you- in time. Community college can be helpful too.

Your GPPA will start over at a new school, but of course your transcript follows you.

But for now, I hope you have a home to go home too, at least in the short term, and look into vocational counseling perhaps. Working will be good for you and will be honored by colleges when you apply.
    If you were expelled, your relationship,with this university is likely terminated.

Family member here had his relationship,with a college terminated...because he has basically flunked out...twice. He was not given an option to return...but really.....after two flunk outs...he didn't need to return there!

You need to find out exactly what your status is. Have you been permanently expelled...with no option of returning...ever. Or what?

You mention you were given a chance other times...did you appeal dismissal another time?
    edited May 18
    Thank you for the advice. The last year and a half, my grades weren't the best. But I did make up and retake the classes to improve my grades during the summer semesters. Maybe it didn't make a difference beucase I didn't retake them at that school. At this point, I know medical school is not an option. I just wanted the degree. So at least, when I began job searching I could say I had one. I was only 3 classes away from accomplishing that goal and I've worked hard with trying to make up for past mistakes. It's just very disappointing to be that close after everything that's happened. And in all honesty, I don't have anything informing me of being on probation. I double checked my school email to see if I missed anything before I emailed my advisor, but there's nothing there. Even when I initially asked her, why I wasn't notified or why didn't she tell me beforehand, she couldn't give me a response. She basically said, I don't know. I asked if I was supposed to be sent a letter in the mail or something and she just said you should've been notified. I save every letter I get from my school and not one of them states I'm on probation. My status is AW. I assume that's academically withdrawn. At any rate, I again thank you for the advice. I can return to that school in 2 years, maybe by then I'll be ready to successfully obtain the degree.
    edited May 18
    So...you know you can return in two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but you dropped a course...and failed two this term. Does this mean that if youmhad passed those THREE courses, you would have graduated...now? You say...you have only 3 courses left.

You can ask about an appeal...and see what they say.

Or get a job...and pay off those student loans...and then return and finish your degree. You may find something that really piques your interest in this two years...that will make returning worthwhile.
    edited May 18
    Initially, there was a total of 6 classes. 3 in the spring and 3 in the fall. Once I'd passed those spring classes, I had 3 left for the fall semester. However, I'm retaking them (as usual) over the summer. I'm passing the summer classes, so I hoped to transfer them in and finish the 3 remaining classes in the fall. This was the plan of course before I was expelled.
  • MON824MON824 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    I can return to that school in 2 years, maybe by then I'll be ready to successfully obtain the degree.

Yes! I'd definitely recommend that. If you can move in with a family member, you can probably accumulate some cash to elevate your debt and potentially save up some with a nice job. With that, you will be able to attend college in 2 years with less worries about monetary struggles weighing you down. As mentioned earlier, try for a certification of interest or apply for a job that interests you; you can still work at a hospital or therapeutic service provider without a full degree in many categories. Just don't forget about college and wind up like the bunch who bail on college and never go back; you do not want to be like that.

Best of luck to you, and hope everything gets better.
    These are fourth year courses. Does your college really allow upper division courses to be transferred in from other schools?

How many courses have you taken at other schools...to apply towards your degree.

Many schools won't alllow this.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,098 Senior Member
    Did you take the 'retakes' from the same school every summer? You may have enough credits at that school to transfer your credits from your college and graduate in one or two semesters. Many schools have a requirement that a certain number of credits, like 30 or 60, have to be taken at that campus. Ask at the school where you take your summer/make-up classes.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,206 Senior Member
    It seems you have your answer -- you can return in 2 years and finish your degree. And that is something you do -- even if you take one course at a time while you are working. And you know that med school is not an option given your grades. So it comes down to what should your next step be. IMO it makes sense to work for a while, clear your head and mature to a point where you understand the effort that has to go into finishing school. I like the suggestion above about getting your EMT training and doing -- it could lead to a nice career in a medically related field.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 5,954 Senior Member
    I just wanted the degree. So at least, when I began job searching I could say I had one.
    Perhaps this goes to the core of your problem.