Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Opinions on Ohio Schools from Ohio residents

12346»

Replies to: Opinions on Ohio Schools from Ohio residents

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    edited June 20
    I am not from Ohio, but have a lot of interest in these three colleges. Denison is a school I pegged for my rising-junior son when we got the Fiske Guide three years ago. Thanks for everyone's insights about Denison, it's been very useful.

D was accepted to both Oberlin and Kenyon, and was set to attend Kenyon until she got off the WL for another school. Regarding Kenyon's acceptance rate this year, I personally don't think it's any cause for concern. Next year it will probably get lower. It doesn't suddenly mean that Kenyon is accepting a lower caliber of student. Acceptance rates can fluctuate a lot in a short period of time, esepcially in the age of the common app. IMO, Kenyon and Oberlin are pretty equal in terms of rigor and quality of teaching, but I give the edge to Kenyon. Why? Princeton Review publishes a list of top 300 professors every year, as determined by their colleagues. Last year, Kenyon had eight top professors. Harvard had four. I can't remember how many Oberlin had, but not eight, for sure. Kenyon has a reputation for excellent professors who create an intellectually stimulating learning environment.

Those colleges all have high retention rates. I would have been thrilled if my D had gone to Kenyon and no doubt she would have been happy there. It seems that Denison is the place to aim for if looking for merit aid, but if your son is a top student, Kenyon and Oberlin both give a few whopping scholarships. Interestingly, my D was offered no money at Kenyon, but Oberlin offered a nice little scholarship. And there is a poster here on CC whose daughter has been awarded $25k a year and will attend Oberlin in the fall. So if money is needed, I think Kenyon should be reconsidered if the student isn't outstanding.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,494 Senior Member
    @Lindagaf I know that merit at Kenyon isn't easy to come by. We know two students are our high school who received merit and have GPAs close to S19. We know their ACT scores but S19 hasn't taken his official SAT yet so we can't compare those yet. One of those students received $10K and the other $15K.

Kenyon also has a studio art merit scholarship that our S19 could apply for. It's worth $15K per year. He would not be required to major or minor in art but would be expected to take classes. (The website says, though, that he would be highly encouraged to at least minor in art.) While S19 loves to draw and paint and is talented, he really wants to keep art as a hobby and isn't interested in minoring in it. He will submit portfolios from AP Portfolio because art really is a part of him. And, honestly, I've heard that it could be a nice bump in his application to be a boy who produces art and is applying to LACs. I try not to push the art thing too hard with S19. I find that, if I leave him alone, he spends more time on it and enjoys it. As soon as I start talking about how it could help his app, he puts down his pastels and I don't see him pick them up for a week. :(
12346»