Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Were You the ONLY Parent Who Said No?

Replies to: Were You the ONLY Parent Who Said No?

• ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,625 Senior Member
    @CValle, where we live my DD's fully admit that parties are rarely held when one's parents are home - so beware of sticky floors when you return...
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    edited June 30
    I definitely let my kid do things other parents absolutely put their foot down about - like allowing him to ride his bike to school 1 1/2 miles by the end of first grade. I'm sure there are many more things but can't think of any off the top of my head.

I never called parents of kids where parties were because I knew there wouid be no parent home. All I did was tell my kid to call us no matter what , no questions asked, before getting in car with someone who had been drinking.

I also sent him to overnight camp for seven weeks every summer for 8 years starting when he was six. This likely saved me from saying no to lots of stupid things kids want to do.
  • BestfriendsgirlBestfriendsgirl Registered User Posts: 871 Member
    Another thing we said no to was travel sports teams. We didn't have the time or money and I thought they were ridiculous anyway.
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    In most cases, when I've said "no" I wasn't the only parent. But ... I did say no to Dance Moms (the reality TV show). That woman is just horrible and I have no use for her.
  • LilyMoonLilyMoon Registered User Posts: 1,832 Senior Member
    UGH...so many times I said no to things that other parents were just fine with. It kept surprising me how permissive some parents were whom I thought were smart people with a good head on their shoulders. Or maybe it's just a difference in parenting styles....I don't know.

Sometimes I regretted my interference because it made my kids uncomfortable with their friends and one time my son get teased about it. But overall, my kids did learn that you don't have to go along with the crowd. That message alone was worth it all.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    Not so much about saying "No", but some things we did when the kids were young that seemed like common sense to us:

- We tend to hit the diner each Sunday after mass. (Hence, the "Weight Loss Buddy" thread ;) ) When my oldest was young, I found a piece of plastic, roughly shower curtain sized, in a baby store. It sits under the high chair and catches all the things that fall. When we left any restaurant, it came with us and was shaken outside. I'm still amazed every single time I see a high chair surrounded by food.

- We also were very big, once the kids were about 3 or so, on having them place their own orders (within reason)-- look the waitress in the eye, say "Please", and ask for what you want. Then we amended as necessary.

- Somehow, I'm not sure how, it's been ingrained in our kids to let us know where they are. I don't ever remember insisting on it, but somehow it's become family culture. If my daughter is going to the diner (see a theme here??) after work, I'll get a text asking if it's OK. If they're going from there to mini golf, another text. I almost never say no, but I love the fact that the kids let us know where they are and who they're with. And when I do say no, it's respected.

I'm very very lucky in my kids.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    OH, one "no" that my kids still tease me about: I wouldn't let them watch SpongeBob even when all their friends were watching it.

I figured that my kids didn't need to watch anything taking place in Bikini Bottom. I just assumed that SpongeBob would have more innuendo than they needed.

Somehow they survived anyway.
  • justacaringmumjustacaringmum Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    We call Chuck E Cheese: Chucky Disease! Been there once for a birthday party and that was it, never again.
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    "Somehow, I'm not sure how, it's been ingrained in our kids to let us know where they are."

This is de facto in our house. And, when children watch their parents adhere to this, they learn. I explained one time that we always tell others where we are going (and not just one person because that one person might leave and forget to pass the message). It's not to micromanage but it's just a courtesy in case someone needs you. Even in my office, we just tell others when we're stepping out for a few minutes.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    @tutumom2001 I still get "Can I stay over (her best friend's) house tonight?" And I think "You are 20, you really don't need to ask but just to inform"...but say "Sure, no problem."
  • IwonderwhereIwonderwhere Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    I refused to let D1 or D2 go to overseas "language" programs in 8th grade. Each time, the chaperones had to leave a child in the hospital with salmonella or something else infectious, and the parent had to fly to Peru or Guatemala to retrieve their 13/14 year old...