Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

124»

Replies to: Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,111 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure OP is from NJ, not PA
  • Wookie3Wookie3 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Stockton is a state school of NJ that offers a 5 year program in conjunction with Philadelphia U so one pays in-state tuition (first 3 years). The other schools are Pennsylvania schools but are within a 2 to 2 and a half hour drive of Northern NJ.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    "Just FYI, some kids have much better grades in college than high school."

I have seen some kids do about the same in college, some do a bit better, some do a lot better, and at least one do really dramatically better.

For those who did better in college, the two main factors seemed to be better motivation, and the ability to take more and harder classes in the subjects where the student is strong (like in the student's major), versus easier or no classes in the subjects where the student is weaker. In several of these cases the universities where the students were doing well were very difficult schools, so it wasn't "class difficulty" that made the difference.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,974 Senior Member
    edited July 16
    Seton Hill, Gannon, Chatham, Misericordia and St Francis U are all private schools in PA that offer merit and need based aid.

Whether they are more affordable than NJ schools is something the OP will have to look into by checking net price calculators.

• toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    @yikesyikesyikes It isn't shabby - but it is below the requirement for admission to a direct entry PA program or a scholarship enough to make it affordable for us.
    @mommdc She is taking an ACT prep- I am going to see how seriously she takes it as part of my decision point on what is next for her -- she runs on the EMS in town, so she does get her patient hours.
    Thanks all -- we discussed and she has landed on going to Rutgers Camden for nursing and then she can apply to PA later depending on what she thinks, how she does etc. It is apparently common to get a different medical or science related major BS first and then go onto PA.
    We could probably do around $15k a year!
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,974 Senior Member
    Or she could go for nurse practioner.
    @mommdc she could, and she also has talked about nurse anesthetist -- all good reasons to get the BSN and then go from there.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,525 Senior Member
    edited July 18
    Ok so you're instate for NJ? (Camden nursing)
    @MYOS1634 Yes and we live close enough for her to commute as well.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,525 Senior Member
    Perfect. I thought you lived in PA which is why I suggested Pitt Johnstown, but Camden is exactly the equivalent for NJ.
    Now she needs to prep for that ACT and bring her score up.
    Beside Camden's nursing, she can then explore other possibilities (Gannon, Chatham, et al.)
    She is working it!
124»