Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Triple room survival skills

Replies to: Triple room survival skills

• shoot4moonshoot4moon Registered User Posts: 1,154 Senior Member
    In terms of moving in, a CC parent had a smart idea that worked extremely well for us. Much of the bulk is bedding. Therefore, if possible, unpack it at home. Stack it in a garbage bag in reverse order (pillows on the bottom, egg crate on the top. If you have easy and quick access to your bedding, you can make the bed before unpacking anything else. All the rest can then be piled on top, leaving much more floor space for everyone. If you are flying and doing the BBB thing as we were, rent a condo instead of a hotel room.
  • Mezzo'sMamaMezzo'sMama Registered User Posts: 3,384 Senior Member
    My D was in a triple her freshman year and they managed fine but nothing stayed the way it was the first week or so! The kids will work out what is comfortable for them as far as what goes where and chances are good that space will open up in other rooms/dorms as kids drop out.
  • VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,108 Senior Member
    @cameo43 your daughter can request a ladder. My daughter didn't have have one initially. A friend broke her ankle getting out of her bed (without the ladder). Those without ladders climbed down the foot of the bed which had a rail. They thought this was adequate. But in a dark room at night was tricky. My D immediately requested a ladder and got a ladder.

She was in a triple and it worked out fine. We brought up a 3 drawer container for storage. Also, many kids had an over the door hanger which created additional hanging space in front of the wardrobe. Because the bed was bunked (no night stand) she had a clip on light and also a little storage bin that hung from a top rail of bed. She put her glasses in it before going to sleep.

They were all athletes (just swim bags, no major gear). They had lockers in athletic facility to keep some things. They had a good size fridge with a freezer (good for icing sore body parts) and a microwave so they could eat in the room after morning practice. They also had a Kuerig. Somehow, things stacked (safely). The space was extremely tight but they loved it! They became fast friends and managed the small space with no issues.

There were times it looked bad, with wet towels and suits hanging from all over the place. They seemed to have agreed upon tidy-up days. D said the hardest part was changing sheets way up high with little clearance. She is 5'11" and I'm pretty sure lived in fear of banging her head. The best part about sophomore year was a regular bed at ground level.
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 933 Member
    I lived in a quad for a semester. one room, four girls: Two sinks, two double bunks, and two closets. It was rather big, designed as a triple. One key thing is to find a place to study other than the triple. There will be no studying if its a co ed dorm as triples and quads end up being very social rooms. There are good things about that, just pack light and find a library to study in the first week and get into a good study habit. Quads are the kiss of death for study habits..... Ask me how I know! Chances are a double is in your daughter's future.
  • HangdogHangdog Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    The OP is worried about a triple that is 19 x 13 -- my daughter is in a quad that is 18'2" x 17'10"! The beds are lofted and on our tour last spring, i was surprised by the space. Agree with others that the key is to bring less than you think they will need. And talk about what they can share - full length mirror, fridge, microwave, pineapple (sorry, couldn't resist!)!
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    We are definitely trying to limit what D is bringing to her quad and since we have to fly, that helps. However, it's driving me nuts that D and her roommates are not being very communicative about items they might want/need but don't need four of. For instance, their room has its own bathroom so they need a bathmat and (possibly? I don't even know) a shower curtain. I asked D if they have discussed any of this and she said no. She said she hasn't heard much from any of them since they initially found out about each other three weeks ago. Just a few basic things. I told her to put together a list of things they might want/need and send it to them to see if they all agree #1) they want/need the item and #2) discuss who should bring what. She said she already had a list put together but hasn't sent it. I think she's afraid of appearing pushy and doesn't want to start off on the wrong foot. So I'm just staying out.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 2,981 Senior Member
    edited August 20
    It's interesting how the small amount of room space seems to bother us more than them. Making the lofted or bunk bed is tricky, my daughter called her weekly sheet changing "bed wrestling".

One issue our daughter had was privacy to Skype with us. We live in Asia and she is on the east coast so sometimes Skype has to be scheduled at weird times too when roommates were sleeping (two of her roommates slept a lot!). She would Skype with us in the stairwell so she could talk more freely without roommates right there, and so that she wouldn't wake any of them. The WiFi was more challenged in the stairwell of the old building. It was kind of fun to see peers walking by pat her on the head or wave to us as they walked by. She found a way to make it work.

I think roommates finding a way to get along or at least rather peacefully coexist is a much more important factor than relative space. I have yet to see limited space brought up by college aged posters here who are having struggles.
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,374 Senior Member
    It is my job to buy the mini-fridge for the triple. Any recommendations on one that is large enough and will last 4 years?
    A little update to D's forced quad situation. When she first got the letter, I asked her "does this mean we get a discount?" ;) The letter mentioned nothing of the sort and when I looked back online at the residential life page, it did say that her dorm had triples and quads. The letter we got said that her room was a "flex" room meaning that it was designated as a room that could be made into a quad. Lovely. I assumed that meant no hope for a discount.

Today however, she received an email saying that because she has been placed in one of these flex rooms, she will get a discount of 25%, assuming that on move in day, all four have moved in. They said often times kids will cancel housing so if all four are there to move in on Sept 1, we will get the discount. However, kids can request the option to move, space available, so even if anyone moves out after Sept 1, we will still get the discount. They also noted that they are having professional lofted systems installed and will send out a photo of the room with the lofted beds and furniture so that students can choose to either keep all the furniture or have some of it removed or modified. This will be so helpful so that at least we can then see how much space there is!

I asked D if she wanted to fill out the request for a room change which they included in the email but she said no. I think she doesn't want the upheaval after already moving in but I cringe at the thought of her living with three other girls! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of the girls will end up moving out - she hadn't even requested this dorm and had asked for a double so thinking perhaps she has requested a room change. That would be the best outcome I think but we shall see!

• ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 933 Member
    @4kids4us We used Bed Bath and Beyond. You shop at home, mark what you might need, then you can decide to not buy items once you fly to the city near the school. So you shop local and they set aside all the stuff in the college town. Then, meet the roommates, decide whats needed and only buy that locally. We did not buy much of anything at home, bought it all in the colleges towns, and also had our kids store it all there. Its much easier than packing so much from home, but it will cost more. Be sure to weigh suitcases to keep them under 50 pounds. We found lighter suitcases on a super sale at Kohl's recently. I have boys, though, they are able to pack everything into two suitcases and one backpack. Once they get to be upper classmen, there is always a friend's off campus apartment to store stuff, it seems but the storage companies are good for the freshman year stuff storage, or stash stuff with friends who work in the college town. You can also just shop in inexpensive stores in the college town and wait for everything. There are usually buses to these types of stores from campus so she can handle it all herself. I decided to let my sophomore handle all his kitchen needs on his own, he took one set of fork/knife/spoon and decided to buy everything else he needs on his own. He is an excellent cook and has good sense, so he will be fine.
  • GoRedheadGoRedhead Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    edited August 23
    @nw2this we looked at our college do's and don't list and it stated what size fridge we are allowed to bring. For my school it is a limit of 6 cubic feet size. We already had one that was 4.6 cubic feet. So we're bringing that instead of buying a new one. So you can look up your college's limit on size on their website.

With regard to dorm room square space limitations, my recommendation would be to use all the otherwise unused space that normally goes without notice. There is a lot of ceiling space that goes empty for the year. Typically above wardrobe cabinets there is plenty of space to store rare items like winter clothes during the spring and fall. Or above the top bunkbed, there is still more room for a make-shift shelf that can span through the length of the mattress. Above the door, there is plenty of space for the 3 or 4 shower caddies. All of these things are reachable by all the dormies by having a handy reach-stepper somewhere in the room.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    DS just moved into a triple, the first to move in. All three of the bed were raised just enough to get a three-drawer dresser beneath. Each student also has a desk and wardrobe. Unfortunately, wardrobe doors are too small for the shoe pocket organizer. Their is room for a trunk under the bed, facing out, and DS stored his rolling duffel and small suitcase behind that. There was just enough room for a tall popup hamper, too.

We used a lot of Command hooks - big one for over the ear headphone, others for bathrobe on inside of the wardrobe door, mediums on outside of wardrobe for towels, more inside the wardrobe wall to hang umbrellas or winter accessories. They have small ones to direct cords and ones strong enough to mount picture frames. Reminded DS to save the hooks for next year. His room has clean industrial wall to wall carpet so we got a stick vac at Walmart.
  • uclaalumuclaalum Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I had one of the very first triple dorm rooms at UCLA (in 1988). I survived and so have all the kids who have done it at UCLA for almost 30 years now. My son is entering UCLA this fall and, of course, got a triple. It sounds worse than it is. Don't sweat it.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,081 Senior Member
    @nw2this , the black and decker one, delivered to campus by Amazon prime for free, is so far a winner. Surprisingly roomy. But you should see if there are size limitations.
    Ohhh boy, just got to see pictures of a sample "flex" room in D's dorm-flex meaning that it's normally a triple but converted to a quad due to over enrollment. There is no storage space - there are bunk beds and two lofted beds. The lofted beds each have a desk and dresser underneath, and the other 2 desks and dressers take up what little floor/wall space that is leftover. So no place for a laundry basket or hamper, even if collapsible there is no place to keep it. One of the desks had a fridge on top and if not there, I didn't see room where else it would go! They will remove any furniture on request, but D wants her desk, not for studying but so she has a place for a makeup mirror, as well as to have the desk drawers for storage. Maybe one of the other girls won't want a desk. I guess it's a good thing we are flying so we can't arrive with a ton of stuff since there is so little room! They do have a walk in closet and their own bathroom but the closet isn't meant for four girls so that will be interesting!

And thankfully the lofted beds and top bunks all have an attached safety rail. Definitely no upholstered headboards happening in this dorm!