Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A 19-year-old Weston man who was a freshman at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania died Monday

Replies to: A 19-year-old Weston man who was a freshman at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania died Monday

• MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,369 Senior Member
    For a lacrosse player in season, there is a reasonable probability that the person might have had a concussion that had not healed before the drinking incident....
  • CTTCCTTC Registered User Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
    Mr. Naval Academy was way out of line, blaming people for Williams' death when he wasn't even there. Way out of line. (And I think he wore his academy uniform and grandstanded like this for attention.)

Shame on him! The Lafayette students did nothing wrong!
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 4,687 Senior Member
    i happened to talk to a Lafayette student very recently. Did not know the student who passed away but was feeling the loss of this student.

But this person remarked that they felt that every year recently Lafayette has had a student pass away and it's been very sad for the student body.

Although alcohol was involved here, it sounds like a tragic freak accident. It sounds like the kids involved were caring and thoughtful. My heart goes out to the Lafayette community.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    For a lacrosse player in season, there is a reasonable probability that the person might have had a concussion that had not healed before the drinking incident....
    Lacrosse is a spring sport but it's possible he'd had previous concussions which would be a risk factor for problems with further head injury.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    -- Furthermore, in addition to the degradation in motor skills, a person who understands how risky this situation is could also be assessing his mental clarity. Does he seem groggy and confused, is his speech slurred, is he unable to make good eye contact? Does he say he is tired? Does he feel cold? Any of these, in this situation, further suggest that 911 should be called.
    You're right that ideally they would have recognized these symptoms as being those of a brain injury but unfortunately they're the same as for someone who's falling-down drunk.
    -- When they checked on him at 11:30 in the morning, he had been in bed for 18 hours. How could they not realize something is wrong still? Because he was somewhat conscious. However, he had not recovered still, was not getting out of bed, he was probably still groggy and confused, he was probably still not making good eye contact, still not communicating well, and still saying he is tired. Another clearly missed opportunity to realize that they need to call 911.
    This may have looked to them like a massive hangover.

I wonder if the outcome may have been different later in the year when his friends knew him better and were better able to assess what was and wasn't characteristic of his behavior when drinking.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,801 Senior Member
    D1 lacrosse teams do have some practices and scrimmages in the fall, even though the season is in the spring.

But more likely is that this is a more common accident of a very drunk kid falling down.

I live near a big university and it does seem like there is one of these terrible incidents almost every year. They also seemed to happen pretty regularly at the colleges my kids attended. Especially for freshman in the fall semester. Falls, car crashes, fights, sex assaults, alcohol poisoning, etc.

My freshman is one month into the so-called "red zone." Two months to go. I send a text every Friday afternoon reminding that nothing good happens after midnight. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,424 Senior Member
    edited September 21
    @sue22 "This may have looked to them like a massive hangover."

If you haven't been taught to watch for any potential trauma and related symptoms when friends are drinking, I have no doubt that that is the case. The key to catching more of these is what the students know before hand.
  • adlgeladlgel Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    edited September 21
    I completely agree @Much2learn. Kids nowadays definitely get a lot more "orientation" around drug and alcohol abuse and sexual assualt when they head off to college their freshman year. But I think that what is still lacking in alcohol education for kids is a more specific set of guidelines/images/scenarios that tell them when a drunk friend needs to do more than just sleep it off.

I feel like we've gotten kids to the point that most of they time they aren't thinking "I don't want to get help for my friend because me and/or my friend might get in trouble" and are more often thinking "my friend is just drunk and needs to sleep it off". So now that we've made progress in getting kids to the point where they are willing to get help, I think we need to figure out how to make it more clear when help is needed. The Penn State situation does seem to be more of the "we know this kid needs help but we are afraid of the repercussions of getting him help" so those unfortunate situations still occur. But I feel like the tide is turning and that is becoming more the exception rather than the norm.
  • KardinalschnittKardinalschnitt Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    edited September 22
    This is interesting. I'm not sure I want to join in here, but I do find this conversation interesting in terms of @adlgel comments and the discussion around calling 911/getting into trouble/knowing when to get help. Where I live it is legal to drink beer and wine at age 16. One of my dd's classmates recently drank too much at a local festival and ended up at the hospital (he would be 17). It was his classmates who called the ambulance. Not a whole lot of time passed between the open-air festival, going to a friend's house and calling the ambulance. The kid was merely dehydrated and slept it off at the hospital.

I feel that the kids were very mature and safe about the whole thing. And I feel part of that had to with the legality of the whole situation and part with the medical system (for locals the whole thing would be free; he is an international, though, so probably there were fees and insurance involved). I guess I feel like the reflex to call the ambulance is probably stronger due to the kids thinking in terms of it being "free" to all citizens -- and to his having done nothing illegal.

I'm not advocating here to eliminate the drinking age. I'm just pointing out what happens when one removes the whole "get into trouble" factor.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,034 Senior Member
    As far as I know almost all schools have an "amnesty" policy that guarantees there will be no disciplinary action if you are reporting an emergency situation. How aware students are of these policies I am not sure.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,065 Senior Member
    edited September 22
    I think "almost all" in post #56 is a huge exaggeration. I certainly agree it's a good idea to have such a policy, but colleges differ a lot in how they regard such issues, or even as to who has authority to make that decision. Students should really be aware of what their particular college's policy is.

And, by the way, as I understand it many of the colleges that have such a policy mean it to apply to the students who report a problem, not necessarily to the student suffering the problem. So it would still be rational for students to worry about whether they were causing a disciplinary problem for a friend by asking for help for him, if it turned out he just needed to sleep it off.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,421 Senior Member
    edited September 22
    Agree, not " most" colleges have amnesty policies many, many do not...however, I do think the are a good idea. There are so many freshman who have either never drank or have parents who have no idea they drink and they will be very, very scared to get a potential MIP by an encounter with campus or local police over a 911 ambulance call.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,034 Senior Member
    edited September 22
    @JHS yes "many" would be more accurate but having said that I am not finding data that reflects all schools nationwide. Some of the data appears to be outdated when checking it against the schools' websites.

What I do know is that Lafayette and every Ivy League institution have a policy that covers alcohol and shields the victim and caller. Yale's is the only one that is unclear to me. Additional schools with the same are NYU, Dickinson, Swarthmore, Colgate, Amherst, Vassar, Barnard, Tulane, Fairfield, William and Mary, Syracuse, Fordham, Reed, Oberlin, Hobart, Franklin and Marshall, University of Ct., Pomona and Wesleyan.

Sure there are many more that additional inquiry would turn up.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,698 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good question to ask when visiting colleges. Even making it a "must have" for colleges making the final list. When battling drinking culture on campus and promoting a safe campus, one would think any wise administrative team would see the sense of such a policy.