Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The Atlantic "Rape on Campus" Articles

ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
Emily Yoffe at The Atlantic recently wrote three articles concerning campus rape.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-uncomfortable-truth-about-campus-rape-policy/538974/
The Uncomfortable Truth About Campus Rape Policy - At many schools, the rules intended to protect victims of sexual assault mean students have lost their right to due process—and an accusation of wrongdoing can derail a person’s entire college education.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-bad-science-behind-campus-response-to-sexual-assault/539211/
The Bad Science Behind Campus Response to Sexual Assault - Assertions about how trauma physiologically impedes the ability to resist or coherently remember assault have greatly undermined defense against assault allegations. But science offers little support for these claims.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-question-of-race-in-campus-sexual-assault-cases/539361/
The Question of Race in Campus Sexual-Assault Cases - Is the system biased against men of color?

Replies to: The Atlantic "Rape on Campus" Articles

• northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,749 Senior Member
    Op-ed piece from the WSJ the other day along the same lines.

Couldn't agree more. Sent it to my current freshman.

http://luxlibertas.com/straight-talk-for-college-women/
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,675 Senior Member
    It'll be very interesting to see the new Department of Education guidelines come out.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,342 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    I think her articles were well written and pretty balanced, as usual. She has been a objective source for many years. I'm very happy for those poor unis that they may get some guidance with legal backbone. I'm glad you posted these Zinhead, I almost did a couple days ago but I wasn't in the mood for a slap-down that I feared would happen.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,994 Senior Member
    Well we know they will roll back enforcement of the DCL. They have already pretty much done that. It will be more interesting to see how the schools actually respond to whatever new guidelines are announced.
    I think they will rollback the threats regarding federal funding and I think the legal guidance will come regarding what colleges can and cannot do as far as investigations and hearings. Depending on public sentiment and other involved legislature members there may or may not be police involvement in cases that meet the individual state language around sexual assault. I for one will be happy to have a reprieve from infantilizing women and demonizing men. I suspect uni administrations are also welcoming some change as they clearly felt between a rock and a hard place.
    Personally I don't think most universities will welcome much that comes their way from this administration. They oppose it at every turn -- from climate change to DACA-- I doubt the issue of sexual assault will be much different. The article acknowledges that:
    Many college administrators have said they will not alter the adjudication policies now enshrined on their campus even if recent federal guidelines are rescinded;

And the flippant as well as erroneous comments recently made by Candice Jackson regarding campus assault certainly did not help matters any either.
  • ProudpatriotProudpatriot Registered User Posts: 1,480 Senior Member
    Well we know they will roll back enforcement of the DCL.

Thank goodness for that.
    edited September 13
    But what really changes @Proudpatriot? Reporting requirements will go away and some schools may decide to make some changes to their process. Some for better some for worse. But I don't believe any school will ignore a report of sexual assault on it's campus. They will continue to adjudicate these cases just like they did before the DCL. There will just be less oversight.
    No they won't ignore a report that is not going to change IMO but they may find that what they do with the report and ensuing steps and remediation will probably change and their jurisdiction may legally narrow and the oversight may shift slightly is my best guess.
    I believe that rollback of the DCL will eventually result in a more fair process. I don't think schools should ignore reports of sexual assault on campus. However, without the threat imposed by DCL colleges will be free to investigate complaints rather than simply believing them and taking action to discipline the accused.

Right now everything is set up to shield the university from any sort of blame with respect to complainants with no regard for the rights of the accused. Without the shield of DCL universities will be required to construct policies that are more fair to all involved.
    As long as Title IX exists and covers sexual harassment they will continue to adjudicate these cases. Any legislative attempts to narrow their jurisdiction over these cases has failed even in states were I thought it might pass.
    An investigation is actually a requirement of the DCL @Proudpatriot.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,675 Senior Member
    Some schools might decide to change the standard of proof or their rules of evidence or stop allowing accusers to appeal decisions.
    I mean a real, impartial investigation, not one that presupposes the guilt of the accused. DCL forces universities to act in ways that are not impartial and thus the investigations are not really investigations (IMO).
    @roethlisburger That is exactly what I am hoping.