Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Sports Fan? Forget about studying in Boston.

TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,358 Senior Member
edited September 13 in Parents Forum
Notre Dame versus Boston College Football! Who cares.
"Shake down the thunder and dropkick me Touchdown Jesus through the goalposts of life. Our region’s abject apathy about this game is the latest demonstration that we are the worst college sports town in America."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2017/09/12/notre-dame-hardly-even-registers-here-anymore/UVeOXU29u1U1zFTZXsL6MJ/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed#comments

Replies to: College Sports Fan? Forget about studying in Boston.

• MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    If you simply drop "sports" then you have left the best college town, which by many accounts Is likely true. Assuming you are a New Englander as well, I assume you would agree that we are hung up on our pro teams too much to worry about intercollegiate play.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,358 Senior Member
    edited September 14
    @MAandMEmom I think it is a good thing. I was glad when Northeastern and BU dropped football. Colleges have become farm teams for pro sports, at least in football and basketball.
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie Registered User Posts: 1,665 Senior Member
    The apathy isn't for college sports. Its for college sports that aren't any good. Per the article, Boston College was 0-26 in conference football and basketball games two years ago. And they are going back 30 years in the article to talk when BC football was relevant (and even go back to the 1940s for a bowl game).

Fast forward to when Brady and Belichick retire and you can conceive of a Patriots team that isn't very good (certainly not as dominant as it is today). Couple that with Boston College getting good again in football (not saying its likely just that it could happen). At that point my guess is the apathy towards college sports in Boston fades away.

And college sports and top academics can and do co-exist at the same institution. If you don't like college sports, there are plenty of schools that essentially have none. And even at those schools with big time college sports, there is still often plenty of room for kids with no interest (at least at schools that aren't super small).
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 5,879 Senior Member
    edited September 14
    Much better advice would be to ignore and never read Dan Shaughnessy. I dislike him more than any other sports writer I've ever read by at least a 2:1 margin. When he can't report news he tries to create it. It's been really damaging to the Red Sox over the years.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,461 Senior Member
    Boston University had an awesome and fine hockey team. What's wrong with that??
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,146 Senior Member
    Lots of kids still go to the Head of the Charles right? My BU-alum friend describes burying a keg on the riverbank the night before, back in the day....

Which collegiate sports matter to Boston kids, is the question I guess.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,358 Senior Member
    @Ohiomomof2 Hockey is the only sport that draws decent attention.