Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School teacher talked my daughter out of the major she thinks she wanted.

AbsDadAbsDad Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
We and she are NOT UPSET. In fact we are glad she was told this now, but I'm wondering if you all think it was his or her place.

She was seriously wanting to take psychology. Her teacher told her that because she is a woman she should reconsider her choice of majors, because he or she ( I don't know if the teacher is a man or woman, but I think a man ) thinks that there are far too many women taking psychology, and very few men.... Come to think of it, I really think he is a guy.

He said that men would prefer and relate better to men, and there are not enough men taking psychology.

She ( my daughter ) said it wasn't about sexism, but rather a numbers / reality.

Think the teacher should have said something or kept that to himself?

Replies to: High School teacher talked my daughter out of the major she thinks she wanted.

• mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    Is this a psychology teacher with a degree in psychology? I'd be interested to see what data back up the assertions.
    I would take that opinion with a grain of salt. Or several, lol.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,474 Senior Member
    Sounds like it is outside this high school teacher's range of expertise.

You know what they say about free advice - you get what you pay for.

It's one thing to listen to free advice, you don't have to take it, though. I have no issues with the teacher giving the advice but I certainly wouldn't put too much weight on it.

Good thing is, at many colleges across this country, a freshman student doesn't need to know what he/she wants to major in yet.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,219 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    Very bizarre reasoning on part of that high school teacher. As someone who has several family members in therapy, I can tell you it's NOT a general rule that "men would prefer and relate better to men." Where did he get that information?

But in general, there's nothing wrong with students getting input from all kinds of sources as to their major. I doubt that one teacher's opinion -- out of all that they hear on the subject from their friends, professors and parents -- is what really makes them pick one field over another.

If OP's daughter was talked out of psychology by a high school teacher -- presumably before she even took a single college psychology class -- she did not have a very deep commitment to psychology to begin with.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,990 Senior Member
    It is true that psychology is about 77% female, but the teacher's reasoning does not seem to make much sense.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    I'm not very keen on hs psych when it replaces a more needed core. But for heaven's sake, when a kid wants to take a legit course, one starter class, it's nuts to go off about career prospects (or presumed patient preferences. This is loopy.) This isn't one of the crazy non-academic fillers some kids get distracted by. She may never go for a counseling career, but is curious. Good for her!

I had to beg one of mine to fit in a college psych class. I just knew. And a week in, she called to tell me the skies had parted and she found her path.

Underpaid. Loves her work, which is demanding and with at risk populations. She'll eventually do grad school and likely continue work with kids and teens. She is happy. And effective.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,392 Senior Member
    psych is not a good choice of major for most students in my opinion. Unless you really like working odd hour for very low pay or play to get a phd. It seems to me that too many students choose it casually.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,860 Senior Member
    edited September 14
    I think that this teacher was giving his/her opinion during a conversation that they were having about college majors. I also think that your daughter will go to college, start taking classes, and eventually choose her own path... which may or may not be psychology.

• EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    I think a teacher should share valid information about career and college major choices based on job outlook and required classes (pre-requisites & coursework), but commenting on a major based on gender is ridiculous. The only time I can think of where it might be appropriate would be to say a field is seeking women or men so the job outlook is fantastic. The teacher's thoughts are strange to me, particularly in this day and age.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,860 Senior Member
    I also think that the teachers comments were strange....