Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

1198199201203204217

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,604 Senior Member
    Congratulations @InfiniteWaves . Its nice to have it done.

    On retirement - we are also considering where to go. We want south but are not clear at all where. We keep kicking around different places in FL but even that is up in the air. My only real requirement is that I not have to shovel snow. I am not even considering where the kids will be. My D16 has a Chinese minor and wants to use that somehow professionally. Last year summer she was in China, now she is interviewing for internships in international banking. I think I will just assume that she can come visit us where ever we are. As for S19, who knows as of yet. We will probably be relocated before he gets settled.

    Is anyone else feeling pressured to deposit at a school yet? S was deferred at his first choice pending first half grades, and was accepted at his number two. He still has two other decisions outstanding but he has said he will not pick either of them over number two so they are somewhat irrelevant now. The problem is that housing at number two is not guaranteed and selection gets done by the date you deposit. Our first half grades come out late - not until Feb 1 this year, which means he won't hear back from school one until mid Feb at the earliest. I am considering having him deposit at number two and then just eating it if he gets accepted at number one. I believe the housing part of the deposit is refundable so we would potentially lose $200 for the tuition deposit. Its not a lot in the scheme of things. (BTW, I'm not talking about double depositing. He would withdraw the acceptance from number two before committing to number one.) I'm thinking about advising him to do this just to guarantee he gets a decent housing selection at number two if he goes there, and I do think its the most likely outcome right now.
  • peachActuary73peachActuary73 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    @me29034 We've made our housing deposit at one school where housing isn't guaranteed. A tuition deposit was not required, and all but $50 of the deposit is refundable.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    @peachActuary73
    That seems really reasonable.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    @InfiniteWaves Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! That is huge, order the sweatshirt! But oh, that commute. I can't imagine and really hope you get mileage reimbursement or have a company car!
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    Congratulations @InfiniteWaves! Most Excellent news!
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    @InfiniteWaves congratulations to S19. How exciting for him and what a relief to have it all over and done! I didn't realize you commuted from PA to MD. Are you north of Baltimore or further west? S21 has a couple of teachers who commute down I-83 to his high school, an hour commute each way. At first I was surprised they would drive so far, but I suppose it's hard to support a family on a teacher's salary so cheaper to move over the PA line.

    In terms of relocating, we still have four years until our youngest is off to college. By then D17 will be graduating college. She is in college in southern CA but studying international relations so most likely she will head back here to DC for work, depending on what she decides she wants to do.

    However, with four kids, who knows where they will all end up. We've lived here for 23 years so most of our friends are here. My parents are only 30 minutes away, and my brother and his family are 45 mins away (with whom I get along but we aren't super close that I would stay here b/c of them). My sister and the rest of my extended family is spread all over. Dh's entire family though is on the west coast - one in southern CA, two in San Francisco, and one in the Pacific NW. I love the area where we live, which is a quaint tourist town, so I wouldn't mind staying here but if we do stay, I would move into town where we can walk to everything. In fact, we've talked about once the kids are all out of the house, we will move into downtown. I think ideally we would keep a house here but purchase a small little place near dh's brother in southern CA (I just wish I liked his wife more....). I doubt our kids will all end up in the same place, so no plans to relocate to any specific area. I'd like to wait until they are all relatively established b/f we decide if we will uproot.
  • 50501005050100 Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    @InfiniteWaves - Congrats!! That is terrific.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    edited December 6
    @InfiniteWaves Congrats!!! So nice to know and be settled as well as his top choice! We are counting down. Also, stroke of luck/genius on the swag bag.

    @ninakatarina Hey thank you. Have de Grace might be the perfect solution and I have never considered. :-D

    @me29034 I would definitely do the deposit. Housing is pretty crucial.

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,584 Senior Member
    I can't imagine and really hope you get mileage reimbursement or have a company car!

    Commuting expenses are personal and not deductible, even in a company car.
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    D19 sent 2 more apps today, unexpectedly. Clemson and URI. A friend told her about Clemson, she researched it and thought she’d like it. Texted me today and said she’d like to apply. I gave her the thumbs up. Next thing I know, she texted me that she’d submitted Clemson and URI. Wasn’t expecting URI, but okay. No supplemental essays, so no extra work. Wonder if the waiting is getting to her.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    We are hoping to take advantage of the Tuition Exchange Program (benefit for dependents of college employees) and we just received the first offer of full tuition last night so our challenge will be that many schools will not make an offer until February, March or even April! If we don't make a decision, then we are holding up potential spots for other students, which is not fair. We also want the ability to potentially "negotiate" room and board by stacking merit if that's even a remote possibility so not having been dealt all the cards yet, I can't really play my hand. Can you tell I love the art of negotiation?? My son has also received full tuition and fees (fees are the big nut in MA) at a local state university that's almost too close to board. He's destined to be a civil engineer so you have to wonder if one ABET school over another is worth the extra debt as long as the outcomes are similar. I also work in higher education for MA so I have personal connections that help as I try to keep my kid on track

    I'm not banking my retirement on my kiddos' permanent residence. I have one kid who is a junior and also looking at international relations. She will probably never live nearby and has already left the nest (boarding school). D22 want a farm and the civil son who knows.
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    @MAandMEmom
    If we don't make a decision, then we are holding up potential spots for other students, which is not fair.
    But, you have a good reason for waiting. It’s not like you’re just procrastinating. I’d say that’s fair.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    I agree @momzilla2D but I would not want to be on the other end waiting. Hopefully, that won't play out.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone it depends. Packages can be offered that include offsets via a car allowance, though not generally if it is a company that does any work for government entities.

Sign In or Register to comment.