Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    @MAandMEmom from a hiring perspective, in MOST cases, one ABET school is as good as another. CC will try to make you think differently but from where I sit, at a large engineering firm and involved in hiriing and marketing the staff, it only makes a difference in getting your foot in the door for that first job and it varies by discipline.

For civil, structural, mechanical and electrical, honestly I think almost any school is good.

Materials/Metallurgical, Aero, Industrial, Microelectronics...schools that specialize can be a boost. Maybe on mechanical if auto is your thing, one more geared that way. But often those are more grad school issues than anything else. General rule around my office is pay as little as possible, go ABET and save if for the "right" grad school.
  • nanny1nanny1 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Congrats @InfiniteWaves that's great news!!
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    edited December 6
    @ninakatarina My DH was born in Havre de Grace! He drove us through one time when we did a road trip from FL to MA - very cute.
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,654 Senior Member
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    D came home today and said 5(!) kids in her class got accepted to Northeastern ED yesterday. That’s out of a senior class of about 100 kids. Great for them, but looks like my D’s (already slim) chance of being accepted EA just went down even more. Maybe that’s why she sent in those other 2 apps today.
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    @momzilla2D Wow, that’s a lot from one small school. That was D19’s first choice and her only rejection. There were four applicants from her private school about the same size (115). One girl, a friend of D’s, who applied had really high stats and higher class rank (top 10 class rank) but got waitlisted. We were surprised the friend didn’t get in. Thankfully D is very happy where she ended up but hope your D has a better outcome!
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    I appreciate the info @eandesmom and it will certainly be on the forefront of my mind as we navigate this decision.
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    @ninakatarina My DH was born in Havre de Grace!

We have never talked about what we would do if DH ever retires. We live in an are that people come to retire so maybe we will just stay. I did tell him I want to go to the mountains at least part time. I would love to be one of those old people who go work at Yellowstone for the summer!
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    @momtogkc National Park host is my dream too! See you there :-)
  • 2019hope2019hope Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @TwinMom2023 we need a “hugs” button! Feel ya there!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    @TwinMom2023 no portal updates huh, only snail mail? Yikes. I am worried about this weather, supposed to fly to Charlotte on Monday via Raleigh and then Chattanooga on Tuesday. Should be interesting.