Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    Special yeah for @nukesmom
    And yeah to @Turquoise52 !!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    FYI, looks like (RD) Western WA decisions are rolling out for folks here waiting.
    Good to know @eandesmom .
    The few kids I heard about applying to Western all applied early action. My D’s school usually has 5-15% of the graduating class go. Lots of kids I don’t know as her school is a fair size and my D only talks a little about her friend’s college stuff.
  • ga19texga19tex Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    S19 has been accepted to Alabama, Mississippi State, University of Kentucky, ECU, Texas Tech, University of Houston, waitlisted for University of South Carolina, waiting to hear from Appalachian State, and and University of Maine.

University of Maine is the only one to come back with a merit package of 9k off each year to bring to the COA to 31k (out of range for us and not a school he prefers anyway)

He attended 2 highschools and the GPA's will not combine and this, I believe is going to be a hurdle.

1st school weighted GPA 3.5/ unweighted 3.1
    Current school - weighted 2.55 / unweighted 2.89 - he was very upset we moved and just totally shut down. It's been exceptionally tough and being new to this, we did not know the GPA's would not merge.

He has a 24 on the ACT and will take again in February.

Very anxious to get $$ numbers from the schools. Such a stressful process
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    @ga19tex welcome!

I saw your other post and am very glad you posted here. If you let the gang here know what your budget is, they may be able to offer some suggestions that meet the gpa, budget and geography that are still taking apps.

In general most colleges figure out their own gpa anyway based on whatever way they do it. I would not assume that they don't recalculate on their end. That said they will look at the junior year and as a parent who has a kid that had a brutal junior year, I feel your pain. Most schools, outside of texas it seems, will focus on the unweighted and then add their own spin on the rigor aspect as the weighting applied by each HS varies so much. Based on the above that seems to put him right around a 3.0. A strong (er) first semester senior year will help and based on your other post that seems pretty positive overall.

Also, if need be, a year at a CC with solid grades can help "reset" the application options so it may be something to consider as a fall back plan.

@Longhaul and @carolinamom2boys and any of our more southern experts, or deal experts like @dfbdfb any suggestions for our new poster? I am not well versed in the southern schools at all but we have many here that are!
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    @ga19tex - Sorry about the downer GPA. As someone who was forced to leave her home country and move here for high school, I sympathize with your son more than you know.

It took me two years of Ds and Fs before I woke up and realized that I was shooting myself in the foot, and that a guaranteed way to *stay* in the place I hated was to flunk out of high school.

So, major? Budget? Regional limitations? Size, type (state uni, LAC)?
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Congrats @nukesmom ! It’s been an interesting ride, for sure. Good luck to your son!
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    @nukesmom So exciting!! We are friends with someone who is going there too. She received a nice scholarship
    and it is her top choice. I wonder if she'll be the only one from NC. It looks like a wonderful school. Congratulations.
    Yeah @nukesmom !!
    Nice to be done with the process and hope your Son loves Boulder!
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    Congrats on the CU Boulder acceptances and to @nukesmom for being finished! I love Colorado and wish we could visit D16 out there more often (she's in Fort Collins)

I am struggling through the CSS for the single school on S19's list that requires it (by Tuesday!) We are in a situation where we expect to pay for the first year from our 529 account, and a 529 set up by a grandparent will pay for most of the rest. We can contribute some additional money depending on where he ends up but most of the funding will come from these two accounts. I really can't figure out where the grandparent's 529 account would be reported, if at all, on the CSS. Any ideas?

• OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    Congratulations @nukesmom ! Great school and your family is DONE!
  • nanny1nanny1 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @eh1234 I found this on another thread titled: 529s and claiming on CSS and FAFSA

Is the 529 account actually in a trust (ie. governed by trust documents) or is it simply an account that the grandparents own and student is the beneficiary of? 529 accounts owned by a grandparent are not student/parent assets. If the 529 account is in the student's own name, it would be reported as a parent asset.

Your parents must report in Question 89 all qualified educational benefits or education savings accounts, including Coverdell savings accounts, 529 college savings plans, and the refund value of 529 prepaid tuition plans that they own for any member of the household. This includes accounts owned by the dependent student.

When a grandparent-owned 529 is actually used to pay the student's expenses, I believe that those payments must be reported as untaxed income to the student on the following year's FAFSA.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1272048-529s-and-claiming-on-css-and-fafsa.html

Not sure if this answers your question.
  • ga19texga19tex Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    S19 is aiming for sports management, budget around 20k, mid size to large school, prefers the south
    He really likes U of H and as a 2nd Texas Tech