Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    @JBSeattle and @ECmotherx2 The tanning is so ridiculous. I'm hoping she will dabble in it during college just for
    fun and exercise.

Funny story: she switched from tap/jazz/hip hop and at her first Feis, there was a 45 min. music delay. I was too short to really see so I snapped at my husband that they needed to just stick in another CD or hook up another IPhone and move ON. He informed me that the accordion had gotten stuck in the box. I was speechless.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    @TwinMom2023
    Funny, some of those musicians are really good!

My younger daughter is saying she wants to go to University of Washington so she can continue to dance at her school (there are a few older girls that still dance, one is at UW).
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    @JBSeattle there are actual a lot of tan people in Ireland. Well, at least in Dublin! Tanning is very popular with young women. Dh and I were on a trip there and visited a relative in Dublin. We were out bar hopping in Temple Bar and I was shocked at all the fake tans - I commented to my relative, a guy in his 20s. He remarked at how it was definitely a popular thing among the 20somethings who hang out in that area. However, it’s not something we noticed outside of Dublin.

SIL’s kids are big into Irish dancing. In fact, @TwinMom2023, they will be at that competition in NC this spring. And funny story, my youngest d’s best friend Irish dances. Her mom was selling one of those expensive costumes on some Irish dance board. Next thing I know, SIL (lives in CA) texts me saying she was considering buying a costume and noticed that the seller (who lives in my neighborhood in mid-Atlantic) was friends with me on FB and was wondering how I knew her. She couldn’t believe it when I said our girls are best friends. Small world! She ended up buying the outfit in the end.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    Between the wigs, tanning, shoes, costumes and if they dance on a ceili team, they have those costumes and possibly different wigs, lessons, intensives, camp, entry fees for feisanna, travel for Nationals, All Irelands, British Nationals and Worlds, we could have signed our house over to the "Irish Mob" as my husband called the Irish dance community. My daughter taught for the last 2 yrs so her lessons were free, but had to pay for the the intensives, camps and everything else. It becomes a way of life. There are times when I miss it, my daughter still does too.
  • kathyrainkathyrain Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    My DD competed in Irish Dance in for 6+ years as well. You are bringing back memories...mostly good but some not as good. She loved it but when she was done she never looked back. She is now in her 2nd year of college. I'm glad we had all those feis trips together.
  • EENYMumEENYMum Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    OMG @JBSeattle @TwinMom2023 @ECmotherx2 our D19 was also Irish dancer, and Twinmom a hip injury also sidelined our daughter last year. It broke my heart as well. She managed to make it back for a bunch of shows during March madness but reinjured herself. Do not miss the stress of tanning without streaks and those darn wigs But do miss a lot of other things. Ironically she has an ID audition for dance program at one school (she iwill not be a ance major.. Bio/PT) that will actually get her additional scholarship money!
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    @EENYMum
    What type of dance audition? Didn’t think Irish dance would have any relevance for colleges other than having an EC.
    edited February 9
    @JBSeattle my dd's teacher told her older dancers years ago that she was on a long flight w an admissions person from large school (did not specify which) who told her Irish dancers were very well regarded by a lot of schools because of the perception that they worked hard and understood what it means to lose and win, and many had volunteering exp through dance etc. The IDdance team at the school is not competitive other than competing in Collegiate Competition (typically hosted by Villanova dance team in fall) and they do a lot of volunteer shows and participate in school's dance showcase. She would also get one credit in addition to money!
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    One of DD's friend received an ID dance scholarship from U Dayton and did not major in dance. Another friend was on the ID team at Notre Dame, I think there was some money offered, but not too sure. Several of her friends went to Ivies and I remember the moms all talking about how ID played a role in the interviews as well. These were all members of her ceili team. They all competed with stress fractures, were top students, mature, poised, dedicated to the team, and were lovely young ladies.
    ID def has some major advantages as an EC and I really do hope dd continues. I brought up subject of going back non competive for the rest of the year and she bust out in tears. I was so surprised, but I guess not really. She kept saying she couldn't...it was too cliquey, and she couldn't handle being in a class with all the yelling. It was a bit of a Dance Moms environment. But part of me would love her to experience what a more nuturing school would be like and there just happens to be one 10 minutes from her top choice :)
    There are two great studios in Raleigh and one or two in Greensboro so that covers UNC CH, NC State, Duke, and to some degree Elon would work but drive would be hard. I think she'd go back for fun if there was a studio near Hobart & William Smith. Our 2nd studio was amazing.
  • Momof3kidzMomof3kidz Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @TwinMom2023 I so sorry to hear about your D’s hip injury. My D skated and plays soccer. She had hip surgery two years ago and is still having some issues. She had to stop skating after surgery and she could no longer handle two sports. It’s heartbreaking to watch them suffer.
    @Momof3kidz Oh no. Hip surgery. That sounds terrible -- especially for a kid who has to give up a sport. I'm sorry. Sports and dance can be really hard on the body. Musical Theatre is the way to go. It's so fun, but my kids wouldn't cooperate!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,697 Senior Member
    S19 has been invited to apply for a music scholarship at his college and they want a video submission. While we've done audio submissions before with S17 music scholarship apps, never a video.

HItting up the tribe here for any tips and tricks. He will discuss with his private teacher on Thursday (unless we are still snowed in) and we have about a month to do this so should be ok I think but it's a bit new. He does likely have the equipment at home to do it if need be.
    @Momof3kidz @TwinMom2023 dd's ortho told us that a lot of these dance/sport related hip injuries have later in life consequences, started going on arthritis etc. Freaked dd right out :)