Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• EENYMumEENYMum Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    @eandesmom congrats to your son! Does your district have any programming or clubs that might be interested in helping w recording and/or editing.
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    @eandesmom -- D19 did her prescreens using her smartphone and a small tripod. She used a Bluetooth microphone for better audio quality.

You might want to check with @eh1234 to see if her S19 did any video submissions for his performance major schools.
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    @carolinamom2boys You might want to ask in the music major forum. I think some have used the set up suggested by @orangefish.

My son didn't have to do any pre-screen videos, and he ended up not doing his one planned video audition. One of his friends just happens to have a complete recording studio in his house, so he had planned on doing that.
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,896 Senior Member
    @eh1234 I think you have me mixed up with someone else.
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    Oops sorry - was watching hockey and apparently can't multitask ! My comment was directed at @eandesmom
  • Momof3kidzMomof3kidz Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @EENYMum Yes, we have heard similar things. My D’s surgeons are very dedicated to preventing issues later in life but it isn’t easy. I think there is still much to learn about young athletes over training and this generation is going to learn the hard way.
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,896 Senior Member
    It's been extremely quiet today. No one posting.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 848 Member
    Does anyone else have the sense that they hardly see their kids anymore? Between D19’s job and extra curriculars, and a social life, she’s like this breeze that floats by us occasionally.....

Her and a friend of hers (who also got an ED acceptance) went shopping for “interview clothes” yesterday - planning ahead for applying for internships while at college! She used her own earned money...and hit the daily spending limit on her debit card for the first time ever :)) (its not that high ...) she bought some really nice stuff. Looks great.... but so grown up...sigh
  • bjscheelbjscheel Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    DD is actually around more than last year, since she didn't do cheer, and she's only got a small job. Plus winter weather has kept her home some times when she would have gone out.

@SJ2727 what kinds of outfits did she get? DD is interviewing and auditioning Saturday and I wonder what she should wear! There will be lots of walking between buildings and a high of 25º so maybe not a dress. Yet she doesn't really have dress pants and she only wears skinny jeans and leggings so what I would call dress pants she would probably nix. Maybe she could put together a dress, tights, and tall boots; or a cardigan and leggings and boots. Probably no shopping opportunities between now and then either. She has a group chat with other kids going- I'll have her ask what the girls are wearing.
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 11
    I barely see D19 now @SJ2727 because she is in the last two weeks of theatre madness. They have rehearsals or tech or something most every day starting at 3 pm until 7:30 pm at the earliest and 11 pm at the latest. The big tech weekend is coming up when she'll be there from 9 am to 8 pm at the earliest. She loves it, though! (Plus it's good practice for her upcoming schedule in college.)

She has an interview on her one theatre day off -- Valentine's Day! -- for a part-time job. She already has "interview attire" as she did so many interviews and portfolio reviews. I would hazard a guess she has less "common high school senior attire" than interview attire! :))
  • DCNatFanDCNatFan Registered User Posts: 562 Member
    Just saw that D19 HS has sent out first semester grades to all her schools. I guess that about does it for the applications. Now we just continue to wait.
    Still waiting on: Clemson, VT, UConn plus the deferrals (JMU, Elon, U of Miami).
    We have made plans for a couple admitted student days: College of Charleston (3/2), Miami-Ohio (3/8) and Pitt (3/30).
    If accepted we will probably do JMU (4/5) and VT (4/6).
  • Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    I feel as though I never see my boys. They are both in Godspell, which opens this Thursday - as well as the State Skills USA competition on Thursday. Between marching band, theater, church, and other commitments - it was hard enough to pin them down to apply to colleges!! At least I have a taste of what it will feel like next year....
  • SwimmingDadSwimmingDad Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    Having done this once before....the last semester they really begin to disappear more...it's all part of leaving the nest...not that it makes it any easier.
  • DCNatFanDCNatFan Registered User Posts: 562 Member