Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    @bjscheel she already has smart black pants and a couple of blouses for mock trial, so to add to that she got a lovely red wool blazer and a pair of smart but flat-so-comfortable black leather shoes (she’s tall so gets away with flats!)

Yeah we’re in NorCal so our winter weather is not really an issue (though for us it’s still really cold, lol!)

@Britmom5 yes that’s what my husband is saying... she’s just helping us get ready for when she’s gone ...
  • RanipetgirlRanipetgirl Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    @SJ2727 , my DD is looking for some comfortable dress shoes (flat) for a scholarship interview. Can you share the brand name? ( PS we are in Norcal too)
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    @Ranipetgirl , they are Halogen.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I'm at home under the weather thinking of what we need too!

Scholarship dinner dress with shoes that are not boots, but it will be cold. I have no clue and Twin A loathes shopping. Two prom dresses, and Twin B has zero clothes that fit b/c she is short and lost 15 pounds. I don't even know where to begin! Twin A said everything I pick out looks like 'MOM' clothing.
  • RanipetgirlRanipetgirl Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Thank you @SJ2727
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    @TwinMom2023 you may want to look at The Loft for interview clothes. They have petites. I like Ann Klein shoes. She has nice flats.
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 782 Member
  • bjscheelbjscheel Registered User Posts: 446 Member
    @TwinMom2023 I feel you. DD needed a black dress for Jazz Choir. We bought one last year that she used. I didn't like the short length so I wanted another for this year (she's 5'1"- no dresses should be too short on her yet here we are). Looked in so many places and they were wrong size, too skimpy, not bra friendly, fabric too thin, too matronly, and so on. She got tired of looking. A plain black dress shouldn't be that hard! She also wanted a red one for speech. Finally last week I found a style on Amazon she agreed to and we bought both colors. She used the black one Saturday. The red one has an awkward line over the bust from the lining so I'm working up the courage to modify it. Feels like no matter how full her closet is, we are always still lacking in the "right" dressy clothes.

Prom is covered though, we had success buying online, just needs hemmed- of course.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    @bjscheel I hear your pain, just from the other end—your daughter's 5'1", mine's a bit under 6'0". Why clothing manufacturers can't figure out there's a pretty decent-sized number of women out there who don't fall into the 5'6"±2" range, I don't understand…
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    Ahh, dress shopping for a girl. So glad I don't have to worry about that this year for prom since I have a boy this time around! It was a quite challenging for D17 as she doesn't really have a waist. While she ended up with a pretty dress, it was not flattering (she wouldn't listen to me) and made her look very top heavy even though she does not have a large chest. Thankfully it will be easier just worrying about a tux this time around.

I just had the pleasure of dress shopping with my 13 y/o dd. Such a hard age to buy for as it's an in-between age. Everything is either too juvenile or too vavavoom! Though she is not super tall, she's 5'5" but has really long legs which does not make it easy to find a dress that doesn't look too short. Somehow we really lucked out and found an age appropriate dress at Macy's.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    @TwinMom2023, does the school provide transportation from and to the airport for admitted students day(s)? Some schools do.
    @rosered55 I don't think so, but it's a good idea to check! Thanks.
  • CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,830 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    @TwinMom2023 I hear you on the not wanting to drive in snow. I'm totally inexperienced at it and intimidated by it. We're visiting Hope College in Holland, Michigan at the end of the month for their Fly-In Weekend and they are providing shuttles to and from the airport within certain defined time frames, so we scheduled our flights to work with those. Definitely worth checking with the college.
    @corinthian we need a thread for parents of kids going to college in cold climates. I'm hoping to keep the 'flying home nightmares due to weather' at a minimum.