Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    @kathyrain Congrats to your son!
  • Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 319 Member
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 735 Member
    Congratulations @kathyrain !
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    Glad to see so many of the kids on this thread getting into JMU-congratulations!
  • brickkickerbrickkicker Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Yes, we're aware. I was a bit of an athlete myself:) A poster was asking about stats type things, sports was part of the picture. Clearer statement would be "chose not to pursue offers involving sports at this school."
  • LonghaulLonghaul Registered User Posts: 2,654 Senior Member
    Congratulations to all the JMU accepted families!

We are having logistical issues with husband's work, planning grad party and college orientation events all because 1. DD wants party at a nearby park and pavilions get booked up. 2. We have no Graduation Date! We won't know until April!
  • ashmomhkashmomhk Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    @md2384 , my D got acceptance of LEP of criminology and criminal justice. So, it seems easy for her to get through FC to regular Freshmen of UMD College Park.

@eandesmom, for the acceptance of UMDCP, it is really a difficult decision for our family financially with COA of around 52k. We finally work it out with some relatives contribution and D's working plus student loan. BTW, my D's decision based on her preference of college: urban, the ranking of major (UMDCP criminology and CS rank #1) and size of enrollment (she prefers large school). BTW, as she would also like to study political science as the second major, UMDCP seems to have good courses combination for double majors. Anyway, really appreciate your advice in the past year.
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    @ashmomhk My D is still waiting to hear from UMD, but also applied to criminal justice & criminology. Congrats to your daughter!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,735 Senior Member
    @ashmomhk glad you were able to make it work. It sounds well thought out. Congratulations!!!!!

All! Great day for the JMU deferrals, super fun to read.
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Congratulations to all with good news! Are your kids relying on admitted students days and mostly going with their guts to make decisions? St Olaf and Whitman College came in as acceptances for D last week. So far, other than Lewis & Clark, where the 144 days of sun per year and lack of easy access to a barn knocked it off the list even though they put on a great admitted students day, the kids and professors seem happy and engaged, and the campus is gorgeous, she can see herself going to most of the schools she’s beeen accepted to. Good problem to have, I know, but she is starting to stress out about making a decision. We made a spreadsheet that should help, but she doesn’t really want to focus on it. Just wondering what, other than gut and finances, has had the biggest influence on decisionmaking for your kids?

I understand your pain. We had it narrowed down to three for quite awhile, and it was an impossible decision. We even resorted to comparing the required classes for each school. Wouldn’t you know that all 3 basically required the exact same classes each semester! Then, just when I thought we’d ruled one of the three out, that school came back to us offering more money, basically covering just short of 100% cost of attendance. I was like really!!! We just got rid of you!!! We were making progress!!!

We placed our highest priority on class size, ability to learn from the professors in her major, internship / coop availability, career services, job placement stats, the ability to do study abroad without throwing off graduation, and location. Those were the most important aspects to us overall, and all 3 schools were tied fairly evenly in all but location.

My advice to D19 was to pick where she thought she’d feel the most comfortable. It can be the best school in the world, but if you aren’t comfortable or happy in the environment, it will wear on you after awhile and start effecting your performance. That’s something we discussed. It’s not summer camp. It’s four years. Sleeping in the tent and using the outdoor facilities might be fun for a week or so, but not for four years. My point being, don’t dismiss the little irritants. Day after day, they could spiral into a make or break deal.

I’m not 100% sure why D19 chose the one she finally did, but I think it really came down to which was the best fit for her in a social not academic sense, as all three were very similar academically. The school she chose was the one where she really clicked right away with the other admitted students on the different days we visited. That didn’t happen at the other two schools. She didn’t really click with anyone at those schools. Also, the school she ended up choosing offers a number of clubs and activities I can really see her enjoying and participating in. The other two offered great options as well. She would have found ECs to get involved in, but not ones so perfectly matched to her interests as the ones at the school she chose. So basically, I think her decision came down to overall campus atmosphere and ECs. Maybe a little because she liked the color better than the other two as well. You know the super frivolous stuff. But, when academically they are about the same, what’s left to compare?

I do know she did say that overnight visits and sitting in on classes being taught by the specific professors she’d have was really helpful to her, so if you haven’t done any of that, might be worth looking into.

Another suggestion I read on here and thought was good was to flip a coin and then see how you feel about the results. Are you relieved, apprehensive, wishing the other side had come up?

Good luck on the decision.
  • md2384md2384 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @ashmomhk That is so great your D got into her LEP. Good for her! We are in state for umd (coa 25K) so it was tough to give it up.
  • nanny1nanny1 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    So happy to hear everyone's acceptances. Our kids have done great!
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 945 Member
    @brickkicker
    Congrats, that is a great problem to have!!