Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    Thanks @NicoleGreen ! I probably typed the wrong abbreviation, but I have twin sons who are graduating this year - not a daughter - but thanks for the support!! :))
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    @Britmom5

No, you put son. Sorry. Totally my fault. No idea if I read it wrong or just had own daughter on my mind when I was responding. But either way, totally agree. It’s a crapshoot, and sometimes it seems like there’s no rhyme or reason why.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I am so sorry for the Hampshire applicants. You'd think they had an inkling. Is there a chance to apply for spring entry at the new faves?

I'm just here flipping between panic and deep breathing. From two to zero will be crazy hard. I regret letting them choose schools that are 20 mins. away. :-D
  • gallentjillgallentjill Registered User Posts: 2,379 Senior Member
    I regret letting them choose schools that are 20 mins. away.

I wish mine was going 20 minutes away. I keep kicking myself for letting her go 2.5 hours away. My friends are laughing at me. :))
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 410 Member
    We are on spring break in Miami. We have a tour planned for Thursday at UMiami. D19 applied EA and was deferred. Sounds like RD results may come out the night after our tour. Since we were here in Miami (from Boston area), we thought we should do the visit just in case. Besides, we also have D20 who may consider it for next year.
  • rfm512rfm512 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    Hello All,

My D was one of the Hampshire ED's and now has an acceptance to Sarah Lawrence which seems to be the closest to Hampshire's academic model and even more prestigious (I think?? -tho prestige is not really our main concern. Fit is paramount for us.) Anyway, Sarah Lawrence only has a 100 million endowment - the lowest of any of D's other options and now that makes of nervous after Hampshire. Do any of you think that should be an important factor when comparing options? 100 million seems a little low. I did ask this in a SLC thread and no one would address it which is a bit concerning in itself.
  • TwinMom2023TwinMom2023 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    @rfm512 I think the endowment vs. student population is okay and Pres. Judd is pretty savvy. I wouldn't hesitate to send my daughter there if she had wanted to be in that area. Congratulations!
    @rfm512 I have to say - I was completely blindsided by the Hampshire decision. I was on a first name basis with someone in the financial aid office, due to frequent interactions, and Admissions contacted me on the Saturday - reminding me to submit my essay on one of the twins, which I did on the Sunday. They announced the possibility of not taking a class this year on that Tuesday and, of course, the rest was history. I have to say that I have checked the endowment of every other college to which we applied - and will continue to monitor. I know ‘Mim’ talks as though Hampshire’s struggles were known for some time - but I don’t know that anyone outside of her immediate circle knew. We visited, interviewed and were wined and dined etc - and the talk was all of their accomplishments and the new Kern building etc. I had NO idea that they would all but fold. I would be VERY leery of a small endowment here on out, especially once the drop in birth rate from 2008 recession catches up with schools. I think there will be many small college closures over the next few years, sadly. Kind of like the death of ‘Mom and Pop’ stores in favor of more generic ‘big box’ schools.....
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,826 Senior Member
    @rfm512, $100M is somewhat low for current times, but as I see it probably safe, absent a heavy debt load.

As far as I can tell, Sweet Briar with its (at the time) $84M endowment is the highest-endowed college to announce a closure (thought they did, of course, end up not actually closing down).
    @TwinMom2023 Thank you for the encouraging words! We're visiting Wednesday and my daughter is excited to see the campus.

@dfbdfb Thanks for the info! Is there any way to find out the debt load of a school? Is that public information?

@Britmom5 For us too, the Hampshire events were a shock and I feel quite sure the admissions staff had no idea. They recruited my daughter heavily and even for ED, so I don't think they had any idea. Apparently not the financial aid office either?!! The news is that the entire admissions staff was laid off a month or so ago. One of Hampshire's most avid alumni supporters in our region of the country is a close friend and she was shocked to find out about the situation. She was only informed the same day we were and even called us to apologize! Apparently the school was remiss in contacting well to do alums and donors to ask for help ahead of the catastrophic announcement that I feel will most likely lead to their closure. Yes, we too are looking at college "financials" especially considering recent trends at small LAC's which they say are likely to worsen. Kind of a bummer...

• dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,826 Senior Member
    School debt loads: Google, actually, helps—searching for the school name plus "financial report" or such (or, intriguingly enough, "consumer information") turns up comprehensive documents at a very large number of institutions. You can get information on some but not all bond issues via Moody's (requires free registration), and you can look up IRS form 990s—which are amazingly informative once you learn to read them—for all but the few colleges that refuse to file them on religious grounds at GuideStar (requires free registration).

That said, getting 100% of the information you'd like? Not gonna happen, unfortunately. Nonprofits don't have to report as much as, say, publicly traded corporations.
    @dfbdfb Thank you! I'll be traveling today and have plenty of time to google!
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    Congratulations, @Britmom5 ! Wonderful school!