Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 19
    @eb23282 I have so much admiration for your daughter’s courage! In many ways it’s like having the guts to call off the wedding when you know it’s wrong, rather than saving face, going along with it, and divorcing after a short while. Like @NicoleGreen, I went to college too soon at the wrong place - and ended up leaving for a couple of years. I was a late bloomer, and took a while to find out the right path for me. I have considered whether a gap year would be good for the twins too. After all of the results are in, we’ll all have a good heart to heart and figure it out. Your daughter is wise and mature! You should be very proud. (If perhaps a little wistful....)
  • Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    I grew up in UK, where gap years were fairly common. I always think of the time during a gap year as time spent doing SOMETHING (anything) that would encourage growth of some description. Whether this is volunteering , learning a language, traveling, writing a book, bringing up test scores - whatever. The object is growth and maturity, but the byproduct would essentially make for a more impressive college application after the fact, than before. That way - if they are ready to consider college - they have enhanced their opportunities rather than just deferred more of the same.
  • SwimmingDadSwimmingDad Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    @eb23282 Congrats to your daughter. We live in one of those over the top ultra-competitive towns. My S19 has chosen a school that has less "prestige" but frankly is a much better fit than his other two top choices. His other choice is super rigorous/competitive like his high school and he was (surprisingly) mature enough to call that out and say no. Your daughter's self awareness is commendable. I wish her and you the best.
  • 50501005050100 Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 19
    @eb23282 - Good for her! We also live in an over-the-top-highly-competitive-bordering ridiculous school district. I no longer talk to people about schools, teachers, college, etc. because frankly, I find it exhausting. Kudos to your daughter for not getting caught up in the rat race and doing what is best for her right now. Good luck to her!
  • taverngirltaverngirl Registered User Posts: 674 Member
    edited March 19
    @Momof3kidz I'd also like to hear anything about Catholic. We're visiting April break. So far my son hasn't really loved any city schools, but he still wants to visit. I think he'd like a campus that's well defined within a city. He's interested in civil engineering. We are Catholic and he attends a Catholic hs but really just for academic reasons. He's not specifically looking for a Catholic college
  • Momof3kidzMomof3kidz Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    edited March 20
    @MAmom111 @Britmom5 @taverngirl
    We are not Catholic but both of my daughters attended a private prep school which was Catholic. My D feels very welcome at CUA and also said that there is less religious curriculum than what she had in high school. There are theology and philosophy requirements but not actual classes on Catholicism. She has found classes that she enjoys to fulfill the requirements.

I was worried that not being Catholic would be an issue but that has not been the case at all. I can imagine that a student looking for a liberal environment would not likely choose CUA but you don’t need to be religious nor extremely conservative to find your place.

The campus is beautiful and they take safety seriously. My D loved that although it’s in a city, the campus is well defined. They just finished renovating the business school. The new cafeteria should be completed in 2021 I believe and not sure about the other new buildings. The new athletic facilities opened this week which my daughter said are impressive.

I’ve been very impressed with my D’s education. Her advisor has been amazing. I’ve heard so many stories about other schools from friends that I truly value that her advisor meets with her regularly and is always available to her. I’ll admit that CUA was not my first choice but mostly because she was a high stats kid and this was her safety school. She was wise beyond her years and knew it was the right place for her. She is a city girl who absolutely loves being in DC. The students fully experience the city and all that it offers.
  • MAmom111MAmom111 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    edited March 20
    @Momof3kidz ...thank you so much for the insight. I think this would be a match/safety school for my D as well. She's definitely not conservative but likes the idea of a defined campus in an urban setting. Can you give any insight as to class sizes as well as whether they are more lecture style or discussions? Also, how long do kids generally live on campus for? And do you find that she needs a lot of out of pocket $$ because it is so close to the city? Thanks so much.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,793 Senior Member
    @eb23282

Congratulations on agreeing on the best path for your child and supporting her. So very important to really listen to our kids. There is no one right path. Best of luck to her!!!!
  • BorgityBorgBorgityBorg Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    @Turquoise52 -- My D19 is considering St. Olaf, Macalester, and is waiting to hear from Carlton and Reed, and many of the things you're looking at -- though not the equestrian -- are things my daughter is considering as someone who'd be traveling from out-of-state.

I have not visited Skidmore, but have visited St. Olaf, and, for what it's worth, my perspectives on St. Olaf line up with yours. Another differences I can think of is that St. Olaf has a 4-1-4 calendar. (Skidmore appears to have a regular semester calendar.) I also don't know how the housing/dining options compare.

Good luck to your daughter (and you) as she chooses!
  • liska21liska21 Registered User Posts: 592 Member
    @Turquoise52 I gave some St Olaf impressions on the St Olaf 2023 thread
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22092652/#Comment_22092652

St Olaf 4-1-4 schedule means you have shorter winter break but is great for doing study abroad. There are a number of St Olaf run courses that are run abroad. D did number theory in Hungary with St Olaf math majors (interim program just for St Olaf students).

One thing I didn't know about St Olaf was the honors/theme houses. There are 19 of them. That's a great option for juniors and seniors. My D will be in one next year. She's enjoyed the dorms but is now looking forward to living in a house.
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    @rfm512 Congrats on having great choices! We looked at both schools and liked them for different reasons. Clark seems to really strive to engage the students with professors. H and I loved this aspect, but D (a sophomore when we visited) was a little intimidated. If your D is self-assured and ready for that stimulation, it seems like a wonderful place.
    UPS struck me as a place that would nurture a little more, yet provide plenty of support as it encouraged you to grow. D did not like the very heavy emphasis on Socratic methods (said “every class would be like APUSH!”). But the campus is the loveliest I’ve seen and would be a special place to spend 4 years.
    Good luck!