Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• rfm512rfm512 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    @dfbdfb Congrats to your D on her decision! Best wishes to her! Such an exciting time!
    @Acersaccharum It seems you are spot on to what my daughter feels in general about the two schools. I think Clark may be a slightly better fit in terms of academics but she LOVES the UPS campus and the Pac NW in general. UPS is also a much easier place for us to get to (direct flight and much closer). After having a son in boarding school on the east coast, I know the long flights and travel times wore on him over time. We had arranged a Clark visit before we knew when decisions would be out so D will be sitting in a class tomorrow and doing a tour and "interview" so she can ask her questions. We are visiting UPS again in April. We feel very lucky she has choices! Thank you so much for your thoughts!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,793 Senior Member
    @rfm512

I’ll be back to post thoughts on UPS. Huge fan and will share thoughts as a local, and in general. Just hard to do that from the phone!
    @eandesmom Looking forward to it! Thank you!
  • EENYMumEENYMum Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    Congrats @dfbdfb !! That is going to be some weather change!
  • Momof3kidzMomof3kidz Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    @MAmom111 My D is a nursing major and I believe class size varies by major. I would have to ask her about her others classes but I know her freshman Learning Community classes had about 12 students and were an excellent way to transition to college. These classes are in place of the traditional English comp classes. Many of her nursing classes are lecture style but many of her other classes are smaller and discussion based. She picked up a psychology minor and absolutely loves the classes.

Students are required to live on campus for the first two years. Housing is limited after sophomore year but they have plans for new dorms for upperclassmen. I am not sure when they are expected to open. My D is moving off campus into the beautiful apartments bordering campus. They are expensive but not more than she is currently paying to be on campus. Some kids save money by moving into large houses with lots of kids but my daughter did not want that.

My D does not spend an unreasonable amount of money off campus. She eats out once maybe twice a week with friends and occasionally goes to concerts or other events if tickets are cheap (last minute tickets can be dirt cheap). She does venture into the city often but there is a lot to do that is free. There is a metro stop on campus so transportation is cheap and safe. D’s roommate has to pay for all of her activities with money she makes during the summer or on breaks and she is able to do all the things my daughter does.
  • HiToWaMomHiToWaMom Registered User Posts: 1,369 Senior Member
    @dfbdfb Congratulations!! She will have wonderful new experiences with all different kinds of gigantic bugs!!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,793 Senior Member
    @rfm512

I really can't speak to Clark. We looked at it but the location didn't work for my S17 at the time.

As to UPS. BIL and cousin both attended, as have numerous kids we know, we know a couple there now both of whom are loving it.

I can't speak to the psychology department but what I can tell you is that UPS has a stellar reputation locally and a very strong alumni network, both of which go a long way. S19's BF is quite likely to end up there (at least that's my vote!).

My S17 looked very very closely at UPS and for a long time was his top LAC choice, and this was a kid who wanted to go away. For him the pro's were the strong alumni network, music and theater programs, overall strength in STEM and offering a full, well rounded education. The campus, as he put it, was "what college should look like". It is lovely as you know. It is close enough that you can have the big city items one might want to do, either in Tacoma or Seattle but set off enough to feel really safe and secure. He loved the diversity there and knowing the kids that attend, I would agree, it really does pull in a nice variety. Ultimately they didn't offer the major he wanted and so we set out to find the "UPS of the East" for him to have as an option. At the end of the day, he didn't choose an LAC but UPS was his benchmark for all other LAC's that he considered. As an aside, he felt Ursinus came the closest that had a decent program for his major and was his last LAC standing.

For him, and for S19, sitting in on classes and having 1:1 faculty meetings is really what made the difference and differentiated the schools. If you are able to visit both I'd highly recommend that, and if able to do an overnight, even better. I believe UPS offers that for admitted students, no idea about Clark.
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Well, I think we’ve hit a major snag. It looks like due to an unforeseen circumstance, daughter will not be able to go to the school she chose. She’ll have to decide between her other two options, and we have absolutely no idea what to advise her to do. I posted a detailed thread about the situation on the college selection forum. If anyone wants to weigh in there, I’d really appreciate any thoughts.
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    @me29034

I completely agree with you. Gap years can be a good idea if they are productive, not so much if son plans to simply hang out for a year. Mission trip programs, volunteer programs, meaningful work experience, travel abroad, etc. Those are productive reasons for a gap year that grow character and allow the student to learn some real life skills. Sitting at home, not so much.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    @Turquoise52 I'm very familiar with both schools, spent time at both campuses, daughter applied to Skidmore, etc. The big difference in my opinion are the student bodies. I would describe St. Olaf as very mainstream, even wholesome. At Skidmore, I noticed quite a few kids with an alternative look, kind of hipsterish, kind of artsy. Very different vibes. We know kids who attend Skidmore or who applied this year, and I would say they are all kind of artsy, liberal and non-conformists. Both are very nice schools. What group of students would your daughter most likely find friends that she would have stuff in common with?
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    @rfm512 Congratulations on your daughter’s Clark acceptance!

@dfbdfb Congratulations on your daughter’s decision!

@4kids4us Congratulations on your son’s first & second choice acceptances, and on his decision!
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 1,000 Senior Member
    I echo Momzilla’s congrats above.

@dfbdfb
    I guess you will go see some magnolias blooming!