Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

HUGE trouble brewing for college basketball

Replies to: HUGE trouble brewing for college basketball

• barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    So far--Arizona, USC, Okie State and Auburn. Louisville on deck.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    I think Louisville deserves it. They have troubles with the AD, with coaches from several sports, with basketball. Nine of their sophomore and junior lacrosse players transferred this year. NINE. That's a huge number. The only nice thing I can say about the coach is that she released them so they can play at other schools immediately.

The NCAA is considering Death Penalties.
  • prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    FBI is in; this is serious stuff.
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    Bet you see other schools pulled into this - maybe a whole bunch of them. Sounds like this could be business as usual in the recruiting wars. One of the big reasons Gary Williams retired as basketball coach at UMD when he did was because he refused to deal with the AAU teams/culture and it was really hurting his recruiting. Prescient......
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,030 Senior Member
    How much money do these assistant coaches make? Interesting that no head coaches have been implicated...yet. Of course, at these big programs, some of them make more than the college president, right?

I can see poor or struggling families taking money. It's hard to blame them.

Yet more illustration of why some college players should just be paid a salary or stipend or whatever you want to call it openly.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,408 Senior Member
    ESPN was reporting last night that Miami has also been implicated in the case, though not yet officially named.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    @barrons Why do you single out German companies? Doesn't Nike keep a stable of endorsement deals, too?
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    If the allegations are true, Chuck Person should be ashamed of himself. This guy was a top-level player in the NBA for more than 10 years! What, he's broke now so he scams nearly 100 grand and then offers a high school player's parents 10K of that 100 grand? Let there be no further doubts; college athletics are corrupt. I cannot imagine what it is like to be a 17-year old star athlete today, when nearly everyone you meet whom has an interest in your future, is shady. That includes some parents, too.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    Incidentally, regarding Barron's comment; until very very recently, bribery was de riguer in business circles in Germany and widely viewed as "the ordinary of course of business." Bribery or incentive payments were not made illegal until the government of Germany signed on to an international agreement to prevent it. Even after adoption of said standards, illicit payments, gifts, etc. continued to be exchanged for business contracts. Even German conglomerates like Siemens AG has struggled with adopting the new and better business ethics standards.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    How likely is it that this is only happening in basketball? Football is just as big if not bigger. Money, money, money.
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    Everybody makes money in college sports except the actual athletes. The entire system is really messed up; it's practically designed to encourage cheating and corruption.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,693 Senior Member
    There are very ethical programs. I am a big fan of one in particular. Louisville is no surprise. Neither is Auburn.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    Volkswagen/Audi, Bosch, Adidas, Deutsche Bank--I saw a recent pattern. And they always get props for economic "superiority".
This discussion has been closed.