Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does anyone else just feel overwhelmed at the beginning of the process?

13»

Replies to: Does anyone else just feel overwhelmed at the beginning of the process?

• persimmonypersimmony Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I still feel overwhelmed and my son is a senior. He's still not that engaged in the process. I will feel better when he's gotten farther along and actually made some progress on the applications. He has a low-ish GPA and a decent ACT score, which is a weird combo that makes it hard to tell where he can get in.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    @brentwoodmom "He has no idea what he will choose as a major, thinking something in math or science, or maybe business analytics.
    So trying to choose colleges by major isn't an option at this point. And I don't see that changing by next year."

The key is to be sure they have all potential options that may interest him. They don't all have business or engineering.
  • brentwoodmombrentwoodmom Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    Thanks to everyone for being so helpful! We picked up the Fiske guide over the weekend, and it is an excellent resource. We had bought several other guides in the past few months, but nothing as helpful as the Fiske guide.
    My son has said he thinks he would like something similar to UNC, and looking through the Fiske guide we feel like Georgia, Clemson and Miami might all be good alternatives that offer a better chance to get admitted and possibly some merit money.

We've read all the responses to this thread and are going back to look at all your suggestions. Thanks for helping us feel less overwhelmed!
This discussion has been closed.