Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Racist messages found at Air Force Academy Preparatory School

Replies to: Racist messages found at Air Force Academy Preparatory School

• PragmaticMomPragmaticMom Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    Kids who do these "pranks" assume (arrogantly or naively) that others share their worldview or humor. Even if it is just a joke or a harmless insult, is it right for the institution's leaders to laugh along? Why should African American students acquiesce to the humor/worldview simply because the prank was well-intentioned, good natured? To borrow the words of Silveria, treating these violations as normal pranking is a horrible idea.

If this was not a threat (of course it was!), the question we should be asking is why the perpetrator(s) were so cocky as to think their "prank" was funny. Who did they think would join in the laughter? Who were they trying to entertain with this prank? Does it ever stop being funny, like when the prank is done repeatedly to the same kid or multiple kids?
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,261 Senior Member
    If this was not a threat (of course it was!),

It could easily have been some drunk kids with impaired faculties doing this on the spur of the moment, and they simply thought it was funny. Writing on a whiteboard doesn't take a lot of though or effort. Let's stop treating it like it's a cross burning.
    edited October 2017
    Kids that age make stupid decisions. The people who wrote the stuff on the whiteboards could easily have been friends of the victims, and who didn't realize they were going overboard. When I was in the Air Force, we had pretty much every ethnicity and race represented in the squadron, and everyone cracked jokes that would have been considered extremely racist if you described the situation to someone who wasn't there. If a white guy said something lewd and racist about blacks, then a black guy would say something lewd and racist about whites. Then everyone would laugh. We all knew each other well enough to understand these were jokes, and nobody was spared.

I'm not saying my interpretation is definitely correct, but I'm not going to jump to a conclusion that the people who wrote the messages on the whiteboards were akin to the KKK. As I mentioned before, we don't know who did this yet, and you have to keep in mind that sometimes these incidents turn out to be staged by the supposed victims.

No matter what the motivation, whoever did it will get kicked out, not least because the incident made the Air Force Academy look bad.

I'm just wondering if the people who are criticizing my viewpoint ever served in the military, and know firsthand what the social environment there is like? The military isn't composed of choirboys or chivalrous knights.
    edited October 2017
    I'm astounded that *anyone* from our military forces (as simba9 says he is/was)
    would make excuses for racists,
    That's because you haven't been in the military. I'm more trying to explain what might be going on, than making excuses. Have you ever been in the locker room of a men's sports team? Until it's found out who did it, nobody really knows what the motivation for the messages was. While it looks bad, a message like that on a whiteboard doesn't convince me that the person who wrote it is genuinely racist.
    This takes planning and forethought
    No it doesn't. It could easily be a spur of the moment decision. It's not hard to write on a whiteboard.

If a guy makes a lewd and sexist joke about women, does that mean he hates women and should be viewed as a threat? Does getting drunk once mean you're an alcoholic. If you tip over a garbage can, does that indicate you're a hardened criminal?
  • sciencenerdsciencenerd Registered User Posts: 1,766 Senior Member
    @simba9 -Why are you providing excuses for the culprits? It seems pretty clear exactly the message they wanted to get across and it is NOT ok.

I'm not sure when you served but that language and any language against anyone based on race is NOT ok either. Maybe it was "acceptable" before, but it is not now. (However, I am not sure if this is enforced as it should be.)
This discussion has been closed.