right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Co-ed bathroom in dorms - am I crazy and how can I find out details from schools on our list?

Replies to: Co-ed bathroom in dorms - am I crazy and how can I find out details from schools on our list?

• yourmommayourmomma 1323 replies1 threads Senior Member
    Well then I'll say it. Co-ed bathrooms are way out of bounds. As a parent You have a right and a responsibility to be concerned.
    · Reply · Share
  • amom2girlsamom2girls 491 replies8 threads Member
    @yourmomma Why do I have a responsibility to be concerned?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    @yourmomma, are your bathrooms sex segregated at home? ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • suzy100suzy100 5695 replies58 threads Senior Member
    Why, @yourmomma? Presumably one would wear a robe to the shower. What exactly is the concern?
    · Reply · Share
  • BasicOhioParentBasicOhioParent 231 replies11 threads Junior Member
    I remember reading in the Fiske guide 30 years ago that American U. had coed bathrooms. I thought it was freaky then, and I still think so now. This is a phenomenon that is driven by ideology, not the comfort, convenience or safety of the students.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    Honestly, if the concern is sexual assault, try googling "student assaulted in college bathroom." You'll get essentially nothing. I did and what I found was a few news stories about men attacking women in designated women's rooms but not a single story that referenced gender neutral or coed bathrooms.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomtothreegirlsMomtothreegirls 140 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Hmmm. At my college (Brown), we had coed bathrooms in the '80s. This has been around for a long time. Took a little getting used to, but really, wasn't a big deal. The only adjustment is that you couldn't walk out of the shower stall buck naked - you learned to grab your towel or robe and put it around you before you walked out.
    · Reply · Share
  • megan12megan12 789 replies35 threads Member
    It's usually the parents that are uncomfortable with it, but the kids seem to be fine with it. We had the same thing at S's college, and it was no big deal for the students. They actually voted for it. There may be other dorms that are set up differently with separate bathrooms so you'd have to ask the admissions office whether those options are available for freshman.
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1597 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Also: Families use co-ed bathrooms every day in normal life. It's really not that weird.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16651 replies66 threads Senior Member
    I'm not sure alot of families have dad in the shower and D brushing her teeth in the same bathroom. Believe me if I had a D and that D did not want to shower, pee and brush her teeth in the same room as a guy I would encourage her to choose a single sex dorm or suite situation. I would not be saying "oh honey don't be a prude." Not everyone has to bee all the same. Not everyone has to brush it off and say, oh my the guys on the floor are just like my brothers. I doubt real brother is showering in the bathroom while daughter is brushing the teeth in many families.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians 1374 replies0 threads Senior Member
    These days there might not be a lot of brother and sister in the bathroom at the same time. My mother was one of 9 kids in a house with one bathroom. Probably happened there.

My college dorms had doors with latch locks on the shower stalls. Behind the door was a changing area with a bench and then the shower. So you could get fully dressed before exiting if you wanted to.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16651 replies66 threads Senior Member
    All I'm saying is to please not comment in ways that feel dismissive of the OP's feelings. I totally agree for the D and Mom to talk to make sure they are both on the same page. I don't think it much matters who asks the college the question. My second son said he absolutely would not attend a uni where he had to live in housing with communal bathrooms. I didn't dig into his reasoning as it really doesn't matter why he felt that way...bottom line that was a deal breaker for him. I asked sometimes if freshman were guaranteed suite style living if they wanted and sometimes my son asked. If you are both on the same page then there is no reason to be "embarrssed."
    · Reply · Share
    Why do I have a responsibility to be concerned? [/quote}

It's your kid.
    · Reply · Share
    are your bathrooms sex segregated at home?

We have this neat new invention called a door. When you enter the bathroom, you can close it and do your thing in privacy. And we do respect our privacy. There is no multitasking. :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity