right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

I can't afford to send my kid to a good uni in the USA, so are European universities alternatives?

Replies to: I can't afford to send my kid to a good uni in the USA, so are European universities alternatives?

• boudersbouders 2417 replies166 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    If she has a degree from Slovakia, going to law school in the US will be difficult. Her transcript will have to be assessed by LSAC and they will give it a score which is descriptive, not numerical. eg superior, above average, average etc. Even with a superior score, a degree from Slovakia will make it very difficult to gain admission to a US law school.

In addition law school is just as expensive as an undergraduate degree (around $300K by the time she goes). However, there are large scholarships, including full rides available for students that the institution deems desirable. Again, those free rides are going to be difficult to get with a degree from Slovakia. If she goes to Slovakia, she will be hampering her ability to get in and pay for law school.

If she gets a law degree from Slovakia and wishes to return to the US and practice law, she will have to pass the bar in her US state. Passing the bar without the instruction in US law will be difficult. But, there are other administrative hoops to jump through as well, which can take a lot of time. She may have a great degree of difficulty getting hired with a non-US degree.
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4164 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21937 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,951 Senior Member
    Some states allow Law graduates from other countries to sit the bar. Investigate that route.

I read that as she'd do undergrad in Eur but then return to the US for law school. That's fine if the Eur college is accredited and she can be admitted to a US law school.
    · Reply · Share
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle 1493 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    @MYOS1634 Will the NPCs be reliable if he has his own business as appears to be the case?
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8848 replies473 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    I really think your daughter needs to do some AP classes. She is at a disadvantage as a homeschooler if she has none. I agree that if the trip to Mexico can be rescheduled, it should be.

Advantages of taking APs as a junior are that it shows mastery of a subject, good results can be used for credit at many colleges (which means getting through college more quickly, saving money,) and it's a standardized test which shows that she has has rigorous standards. She is more likely to get in to colleges with some AP scores under her belt. While APs taken in senior year can be used for college credit also, it's too late for the college application process. You might want to post in the homeschooling forum for more advice.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29305 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,474 Senior Member
    I also had hoped to send my kid away to college, and like you, we couldn't afford our Federal EFC. Unlike your kid, mine didn't have stats that might have landed her guaranteed merit. So she went where we could afford - the local CC and then an economical in-state public U. She has turned out just fine.

Don't discount the affordable US option.
    · Reply · Share
  • gearmomgearmom 3900 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Wouldn't a Mexican university be a better chance for a future US immigration lawyer. Can she stay with family there?

American grad schools and employers would be far more familiar with Mexican universities than Slovakian. And see about moving the Mexican trip as @MYOS1634 suggested. That would help.
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3392 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,426 Senior Member
    >>elite students<<>>intellectual peers<<<

This is an 11th grader with one PSAT score of 1300, no APs, homeschooled, is there something I missed?
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3506 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,539 Senior Member
    Your daughter's best bet would be two years of community college and then transfer to your state flagship. If your daughter intends to live in the US, then this course of action would give her a much better chance of getting into law school.

With respect to your daughter's language skills--it sounds like she understands and speaks to you in Slovak. My son-in-law, who was born in Russia and immigrated to NY when he was 6, spent his junior year at a university in St Petersburg. It was a struggle--conversing with Mom and Dad and family members was the extent of his Russian fluency (he went to elementary/high school in NY and then to Tufts for college). He was not equipped with the academic language or writing skills he needed. It was a real challenge for him.

It was not clear from what you posted whether all of the coursework in Slovakia was in English or just some of the courses.

I would second the recommendations above that your daughter self-study and take the AP exams in May. She can travel afterwards.

· Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1061 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,085 Senior Member
    One aditional factor you may need to investigate - with no APs could she even get admitted? The Slovak school system and final maturita exam is accepted by UK universities as equivalent to A levels, whereas they want APs for Americans.

This college in Bratislava which offers an American style liberal arts degree for 4K (in euros) says they assess academic ability of non-EU applicants on "the results of secondary education and the results of the leaving exams." (Even if your daughter is a Slovak citizen, her education is not in the Slovak citizen so I'm sure she would be assessed as as an international.)
    http://www.bisla.sk/criteria-for-admission-for-2017/2018

Costwise, it looks as if they definitely charge fees for courses taught in English (up to 12K euros, although my guess is that higher price would be for something like engineering). This link may be useful: https://www.saia.sk/_user/documents/publikacie/study-in-slovakia_2015_web.pdf

· Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41143 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,588 Senior Member
    ^ but this a small outfit that wouldn't really be recognized for law school purpose.
    For ease of transfer back to the US, the university needs to be recognizable to us institutions, IE, ancient, among the top 3-4 Slovakia.

The priority should be, first, the PSAT, and, second, preparing for 3 AP exams. Taking foreign language subject tests and any other subject test demonstrating mastery will be necessary since she's been homeschooled.

This student's best chance is scores demonstrating excellence in some subjects (subject tests, AP) as well as a high SAT/act score, leading to a good scholarship from UTK or UTC or admission to a meet-need school that will be interested in her profile.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1061 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,085 Senior Member
    Sure, I was just getting an idea about admissions requirements. Obviously OP will be investigating the specific collegs of interest to them - and they are also constrained by it being in the city grandma lives in, I believe?
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofadultMomofadult 1083 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,111 Senior Member
    Glad that OP is aware of potential language difficulties if the coursework is not in English. I have two acquaintances with dual citizen children, US and Germany. Both sets of kids speak German fluently (language spoken at home), read fluently and studied German to AP levels and in extra curricular classes. All attended a very demanding US high school where they did well. All passed uni required German language evaluative test (like the TOFEL for foreign students studying in the US) with highest marks. Kids studied/study at several different German unis. All found that their written German for the papers required in their coursework was not at the level expected by their uni profs.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity