right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Need Advice on Late Class Change for Senior

Dancer41Dancer41 81 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
My daughter is a senior and overwhelmed by the workload this year. The stress of applications and lack of sleep are making her life (and mine) unbearable. Because she takes a long time to read and type, she's up until 1am most nights. The culprits are AP Environmental and AP Euro. It's not the content it's the volume of work. (She's taken AP US History and English and did very well). She has very few options as we are well into the school year. She wants to study something in the social sciences so I think AP Environmental should be the one to go. She met with her GC and teacher and science dept chair today and here are her options.

1. Take AP Environmental Pass/Fail. Teacher would modify work (she has a 504 plan).
2. Take two 1/2 year science classes instead (Ocean Life and Forensic Science) - it will show on her transcript that she dropped AP Environmental
3. Drop to the regular Environmental class. This is with a teacher that is not a good fit for her with a bad reputation (she dropped his class Sophomore year after 2 weeks). The GC and dept chair did not think this was a good option, but this will not show up on her transcript because it is within the "level change" window.

I supposed is 4th option is tough it out, get through the 1st Semester and then it won't matter anymore.

Anyone have a similar issue or helpful advice? Her choice is #2 but the transcript issue makes me nervous. For perspective, her top choice schools are Skidmore (test optional), St. Olaf and Clark. She's an A student with only 2 B+s. She's worked so hard and given up so much for 3 years, I would hate for this to sabotage her.

Thanks!
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need Advice on Late Class Change for Senior

• rosered55rosered55 4164 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    I suggest 1 or 2.

Many years ago (2008-09), my older daughter was in a somewhat similar situation: senior year, struggling in Spanish and calculus. She ended up staying in both, didn't do well in either, but, somewhat to my amazement, did pass both courses. With the benefit of hindsight, I think she should have dropped at least one of them. I'm pretty sure she still would have gotten into and not had acceptance withdrawn by the college she ended up attending and at which she had an awesome four years.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22407 replies2183 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,590 Forum Champion
    edited September 2017
    I think 1 sounds like a great option if the teacher is willing to lower the workload to a point where you D feels she can handle it. That way she won't have to start another class a few weeks late and have to do all the catch-up work. But if your D is much more comfortable with option 2 then that is reasonable as well.
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2286 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,340 Senior Member
    For my kid, the decision would be hers, for better or for worse. That said, there would be many more factors than you've listed here that I'd want her to consider, so that she could make an informed decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3579 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    I presume that since she has a 504 plan, you've already looked at assistive technology, such as doing the reading with a text to speech program and the writing with a speech to text program? You definitely want her to know how to use various tools and supports before she gets to college.

In terms of schedule changes, don't overthink it. Having a single dropped class on a transcript is not that big of a blemish in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of kids have worse.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41134 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,579 Senior Member
    I don't think having APES dropped for two semester classes would matter to her admissions, as long as she knows the workload and can handle it easily *and* can get an A. If the workload is less than APES but still heavy in the "regular" classes then option 1 (where basically all she needs to do is pass so no worry about grades hence she can drop part of the workload) is a possibility, but if she's a perfectionist she'll never accept doing just what is needed for a C and she may not be better off.
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3372 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    I think 1 is the best option for her since she could then take the AP exam and possibly get credit.

I wonder why the withdrawal would be shown this early in the semester. At our HS, you can withdraw up to the end of the second quarter and the class doesn't show on the transcript.
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3372 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    I should also add that AP Euro, at least in my HS, is wickedly difficult. It's the most dropped AP class in the school. Two of my kids dropped it.
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4164 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    D1 also struggled with AP Euro.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dancer41Dancer41 81 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Many kids dropped the Euro class as the teacher is tough and the work is intense, but she's willing to invest in that because it's a subject she enjoys and it will set her up for the types of classes she wants to take in college. We were just talking about it and her perspective is even if it shows up, it shows she was passing at the time she dropped and she's hoping that schools will appreciate that it's better to take a chance and try something vs never having tried it at all. She may add a note in the additional info section. I do think our school's deadline is a bit unfair - it's only 7 days. I supposed they are worried about the work that needs to be made up in the new class. Luckily the AP Environmental teacher, who is fantastic, and was so helpful guiding her is the teacher of the new class. She does have to get approval from the department but hoping that's not an issue especially because the dept chair was advising her against the most obvious choice which was the same class at a college prep level because of the horrible teacher he supervises!
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10579 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    I think she is making a good choice for herself, and it is her choice to make. Since she has a 504, would it be helpful for the GC to indicate the class was dropped due to a health issue? Not necessary but one of mine had a note like that (that we wrote, actually) included with her transcript. Or she can explain very briefly on the application, yes.

I think any college would view this positively, as a sign of a kid who manages her life well, assesses stress, and is flexible about choices. I would be very proud of her (as you seem to be).

Senior year is so stressful, and she is sparing herself some of it. I guess this also means one less AP exam!

I think she will be fine with admissions....
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity