Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College sends e-mail to Staff and Students "In Event of Nuclear War"

Mom24boysMom24boys Registered User Posts: 866 Member
Well this is not something I discussed with my sons before sending them off to college. I guess some parents might want to add this to what my child should know before going off to college, I'll stick with knowing how to do laundry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/10/10/in-the-event-of-a-nuclear-attack-u-hawaiis-curious-email-to-students-and-staff/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.f7c5ea96c7e0

Replies to: College sends e-mail to Staff and Students "In Event of Nuclear War"

• rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,794 Senior Member
    edited October 10
    I'm wondering what to do in the event of nuclear war and also what I should tell my adult daughters to do.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,759 Senior Member
    I'm giggling because of the "helpful" on the post above. But, reality is, there is not a heck of a lot you can do. Scary times.
  • CValleCValle Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    I remember as an elementary student in NYC in the late 70s that we had "Nuclear War Drills" in which we moved to the hallways and sheltered.

So sad we are back to this again.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,877 Senior Member
    My oldest son and his gf are going to Hawaii next month on a trip they saved up for a year to go on. I am so scared, but I don't want them to live their lives afraid, so I will just hold my breath for two weeks.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 18,675 Senior Member
    Reminds me of elementary school -- I grew up in the 60's So as an 8 year old I had a pretty good idea of what the adults thought we should do in the event of a nuclear war. (It never made much sense to me, as we had drills in which we all were supposed to walk home... and that seemed like a dumb way to protect little kids in the even of an emergency.)
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,647 Senior Member
    Because "duck and cover" was so effective, right? I remember seeing flickering b&w film strips of those drills. Thankfully, I was too young to understand the futility. Reminds me of a conversation I had with a flight attendant friend of mine in the 70's about the similar effectiveness of leaning forward and putting your arms around your knees in the event of a crash. He said, "Oh, that is absolutely the most effective position for ensuring your head is pushed into your spine by the seat in front of you and you're dead as cleanly and quickly as possible. The airlines don't want you to survive a crash as death is generally cheaper than lifetime disability." So comforting to know.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 63,555 Senior Member
    ChoatieMom wrote:
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with a flight attendant friend of mine in the 70's about the similar effectiveness of leaning forward and putting your arms around your knees in the event of a crash. He said, "Oh, that is absolutely the most effective position for ensuring your head is pushed into your spine by the seat in front of you and you're dead as cleanly and quickly as possible. The airlines don't want you to survive a crash as death is generally cheaper than lifetime disability." So comforting to know.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/brace.asp says that this claim is false.

Mythbusters crash tested the brace position at https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/killer-brace-position-minimyth .
  • DoinResearchDoinResearch Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    edited October 11
    Yesterday there was a news story regarding Korea, and it did make me think about having the conversation about emergency plans. Could be any emergency...

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/10/556863758/tensions-rise-between-tillerson-and-trump-as-the-threat-of-war-in-n-korea-looms
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,647 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Yes, @ucbalumnus. I've looked that up, too. Not surprised to find another point of view. Of course, right? :)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,266 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Funny how we're all thinking, however tangentially, about the possiblity of nuclear war... the other day I caught myself wondering what the safest part of the country would be: not either coast, obviously; not Colorado where I live (we have North American Aerospace Defense Command here;) so is Nebraska up wind or downwind from me (thinking nuclear fallout)? Or would they target the Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma,Iowa because there's so much farming there, to affect our food supply? So maybe New Mexico would be safe...?

CRAZY TIMES !!!!!!!
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 4,312 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    “I think I have a little bit of a different attitude on North Korea than other people might have,” “I listen to everybody, but ultimately, my attitude is the one that matters, isn’t it? That’s the way it works. That’s the way the system is.”

Jeebus, I had not seen that quote. ^^ 0_0

I actually did look up what to do in the event of a nuke landing nearby recently, and I'm not a particularly paranoid person. At least I didn't used to be.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,759 Senior Member
    @katliamom With Los Alamos in NM, not going to be safe.

@suzy100 Just voiced within the last 2 hours.