Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Strategizing and timing EA / ED / RD rollout of applications

13»

Replies to: Strategizing and timing EA / ED / RD rollout of applications

  • ProfessorMom1ProfessorMom1 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    @TheGreyKing Thanks for commenting! We actually are applying to all private institutions and can afford the EFC, but we don't want to be obligated to pay that if son gets a scholarship somewhere. Plus, and more importantly, he just isn't sure yet where he wants to go of the 8 on his list. I'm so happy that he LOVED his safety school and will almost certainly get merit $ there. We won't qualify for the fee waiver, just trying to keep apps and costs down where I can, esp if we end up paying in full that EFC!
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Registered User Posts: 870 Member
    Great that he loves his safety, among other schools he also likes. That is a good position to be in. Good luck!
  • tdy123tdy123 Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 19
    Plan was SCEA: Private Reach, EA: 2 Public Safety, then for the Regular Decision round: (all private) 1 Reach, 1 Safety, 4 Match. The way it worked out was accepted at all early, declined the safeties, did not submit the RD match apps. Accepted at RD reach with a likely letter, and accepted at the RD safety. Chose to attend the RD reach, which was really first choice all along, but Naviance showed much, much better SCEA boost at first reach so played the numbers game even though it wasn't the first choice. The important thing was that even though there was a favorite, Son would have been OK with any of the schools. Important to have a safety that still brings a smile rather than tears.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    We are struggling with S18s motivation to write supplemental essays for RD schools. Most of his targets are ED or RD so we are stuck with RD. But - his reach and 2 safeties have EA. I want him to have supplemental essays done for RD and ready to go (3 different schools with their own prompts so unlikely we can use the same essay). If he gets into his reach, we won't bother to submit the other apps.Of course, he is thinking - I get a break until mid-December. I really don't want to be nagging him about essays during Christmas but I know it is inevitable. :-S
  • ProfessorMom1ProfessorMom1 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    @Momma2018 Yes. That is exactly what I am facing with S18. And all his apps have multiple writing supplements. UGH. But yeah, I started thinking what's worse? S18 having to do work, possibly "extra/unused" work or both of us being totally stressed out. In the interest of my mental health, I think the former. Besides he groans regardless, so I figure low stress groaning is better than high stress groaning.
  • rerunagainrerunagain Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    D17 applied to her safety early (rolling admissions—not CA). She sent test scores, transcripts, and LOR (via Naviance) in September to all 10 on her list and was working on essays early fall. Decided mid-October that Wellesley had clearly risen to the top and so finished up the CA and supplements getting them in for the ED deadline at the end of the month. Did no more work on other supplements during November. If ED was a deferral she would have finished the other applications. If a rejection, she would have probably dropped one of her reaches. Essays were far enough along that she would have been working hard on RD apps, but it would have been doable. She got in ED so that was that. Only regret was ordering scores early and so wasting that money.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,517 Senior Member
    Some kids really feel knocked down if they don't get into their EA or ED choice, and then have a hard time picking themselves up to finish their other apps. Or occasionally the ED or EA acceptance comes, but there are appeals and wrangling over the FA package. My kids' apps all took longer than they expected, too.

    I always recommend that students keep plugging away at all their apps. I also tend to encourage them to put in their RD apps even if they get a nice EA acceptance. They might find by May or at the accepted student visits that they don't have the same preferences they expected to have (even if they visited before). In general I'm a fan of keeping options open til May (unless you have a binding ED acceptance with an acceptable FA package, of course).
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I agree with you @intparent. I would like the RD essays to be close to done just in case. As you say, depending on financial package, etc, he may still want to apply to some of the RD. It is only EA so not binding. I remember last year one of S18s friends got into an Ivy early action but still put in the other apps. And can you believe some other parents were complaining that he was being selfish and "taking" another kid's spot at the RD schools? I think with a major decision like this, they have to keep their options open.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,517 Senior Member
    It isn't just for financial reasons. My D2 got in EA to a school ranked in the top 5 of USNWR national universities. She had visited all the choices ahead of applying. She ended up getting in everywhere she applied (8 schools) and did accepted student visits to her top 3 choices. Guess what? That EA school that had been top of her list going in really flopped at her accepted students visit. #2 didn't put their best foot forward, either. Dark horse #3 was spectacular-- and she ended up there. Perfect for her, and she graduated last spring. 24 hours on campus gives a better view than a half day visit. It is tempting to stop the stress after an EA acceptance and stop applying, but at least in my kid's case, we are really glad she didn't.
  • Marcie123Marcie123 Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    My D is applying to 9 common app schools. One super reach ED and 3 EA. The 3 EA schools should be safeties and she should get merit money.

    Of the 5 remaining schools, she might apply to one ED2 if she doesn't get in to ED school so that app will need to be ready to go.

    Two others will be submitted by Dec. 1. One for merit consideration and one to be able to request an interview for a school she has not visited.

    Two others will be completed but we won't send unless she gets rejected from ED school.

    I don't want mid-December to roll around with essays still needing to be written. Even though she's realistic about her ED school, I know she'll be disappointed. Plus she has finals the week before Christmas so won't want to be writing essays.
  • ProfessorMom1ProfessorMom1 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    I really never thought about S18's feelings upon hearing an EA rejection, but you all are making a good point. His EA is not his first choice, so I figured he would be okay with a denial. But of course it will sting no matter what. And I can see how that might get in the way of motivation.
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.